PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So who is our next OC And DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Shea and Flores, with or without the titles.

I think this is the likely correct answer.

Next year will be very interesting. 41 year old Brady, BB breaking in two new coordinators... lots to love, but a lot can go wrong.

Bill probably already has coaches in mind that he has been grooming. this is the 3rd year in a row where it looked like the OC/DC may have been leaving.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I don’t know why people are so riled up when Rex or any other coach outside New England is mentioned in this discussion. We can talk about in house development as the path to becoming coordinators in NE. But don’t tell me these coaches cannot bring any ideas or innovations to this team. And don’t lecture me about fit because we brought players here in the past that people outside the organization thought was not deem “fit” but have otherwise succeeded.

Is Tony Romo interested in coaching? If so, it would be interesting to bring him in some assistant capacity, in one of the games he was in the boot in mentioned he had dinner with BB.

What would be his title? Choke coordinator?

BB doesn't bring people from the outside. He likes grooming his coordinators.

We're on to Jacksonville.

I don’t know why people are so riled up when Rex or any other coach outside New England is mentioned in this discussion. We can talk about in house development as the path to becoming coordinators in NE. But don’t tell me these coaches cannot bring any ideas or innovations to this team. And don’t lecture me about fit because we brought players here in the past that people outside the organization thought was not deem “fit” but have otherwise succeeded.
If any outsider is coming in, it’s probably much more likely that it would be longtime Belichick friend and former Rutgers coach, Greg Schiano, since they share similar coaching philosophies on some level.

I think the point is, no matter who the coordinators are, they are running Bill's system. Not going to bring in a guy who doesn't know how to run Bill's system.

People are “riled up” over suggesting rex Ryan be hired as dc because
A) he sucks
B) his philosophy is the antithesis of what B.B. wants.

People are “riled up” over suggesting rex Ryan be hired as dc because
A) he sucks
B) his philosophy is the antithesis of what B.B. wants.

A) He sucks as a head coach not as a defensive coordinator
B) Like I said earlier, Bilichick will keep him in check to prevent the mistakes he had in the past.
C) Just f**king keep Flores so everybody is happy

Last edited:
A) He sucks as a head coach not as a defensive coordinator
B) Like I said earlier, Bilichick will keep him in check to prevent the mistakes he had in the past.
C) Just f**king keep Flores so everybody is happy
No he sucks as a dc too.

Why would you hire a guy who is your philosophical opposite and have to hold him in check. That just doesn’t work.

Yup Flores is the right man for the job.

I think because of our offense, we can be a little aggressive on the D. Remember 2010 when a Ryan D dominated the pats. That’s what’s missing on our current D

This must be a troll account. Right ?

We have the players to be aggressive. Hightower will set the edge. Rivers will come back from injury. Maybe Harrison stays who knows. Belichick will keep him in check. No other distractions. The Patriot way.

So a player that only plays 12-14 games a year, a rookie who missed the important first year after an ACL tear and a 40-year old that most probably will be gone after this season ends. Awesome..

I would like to see:
OC- Mike Martz, Charlie Weiss, some college football coach who knows spread offense
DC- Schianno, Mangini, Rexy Sexy Feet, Crennel

How long have you been following the Patriots? Since BB took over, he's always hired from within for the OC/DC positions.

Dom Capers was hired as a Special Assistant/Secondary coach. Similar to the position BB held when BB was hired in 96 by Parcells.

Dean Pees was the Pats LB coach before being named DC after Crennel left.
Patricia held several positions before being named to DC after Pees left.

McDaniels was the QB coach before being named to OC.
Bill O'Brien was the WR Coach before he was named to OC to replace McDaniels.

Isn't there some rumor about Arizona interested in Flores?

If I was BillB, I'd talk with him to stay as MattP will be moving on and you will be the new DC...

And don’t lecture me about fit because we brought players here in the past that people outside the organization thought was not deem “fit” but have otherwise succeeded.

Shaping a player to a new system seems easier than doing the same with a coach. With a player you are saying 'learn this terminology, learn these concepts' with a new coach you are saying 'learn all of that stuff and know it at every position and recognize when your players, who have been in this system a lot longer than you, are making mistakes. Also you have like, 5 months to get this all down before we start training camp.'

It's not impossible, Coach Googs sorta did it as OL coach, but I think it's really hard to do when you're talking about DC.

I'm not worried about it - Belichick has been prepared for this for a while.
Flores seems like a good choice - Bill can be OC for a year if need be.

Ravens defense ranking during Ray Lewis' time 1999-2012

Can anyone tell which 4 years were his? The 6, 10, 1, and 22. He managed to put up the worst defense in Ravens history in that time. Looking at that tells me he walked in to a great defense, and it stayed about the same, then he left and it stayed the same. Marv Lewis, Mike Nolan and a bunch of other guys displayed similar defensive genius.

Then he takes over for Mangini in 2009 and his defenses are:
While he did grab some Ravens guys and get them 1st they tanked later. BTW- Bowles took over the next year and had them 9th. Then at Buffalo they are 15th and 16th.

He averages 13th. While that's just mediocre, IMO it's even worse. That's while playing with 2 of the best defensive players in the league the last 15 years. That's while focusing his efforts, salary cap, and drafts on building HIS defense that's his calling card.

Even with all that he's barely above average. I think Ryan is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes