PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Wynn tore Achilles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm done doubting him. Hes more right than he is wrong.

I have heard references to this Dr Chao but I don’t know what it means. Anyone care to explain?

This is not a top 15 pick we are talking about which might give you a blue chipper that is supposed to turn into a AP player. Easley had that blue chip burst and could have been quite something. It didnt work out and it was a bad pick. But definitely not the worst pick of BBs tenure.

That said, he was a first-rounder, and the Pats gave up on him after just two years. Even the other disappointing first-rounders (Maroney, Meriweather) lasted longer than that, and the Pats managed to get something for Maroney.

I also dont understand how signing O Shaughnessy makes BB responsible for an injured Mitchell. Is Kraft at fault as well because he gave BB the money to acquire him?

I didn't say BB was responsible for injuring Mitchell. I'm just saying that, in retrospect, I'm guessing that's a trade he'd like back.

It is possible Wynn wouldn't see the field much this year (but it is also likely he would going on OL injury history). The point is Pats just lost a great backup at 4 OL positions which is a treasure in itself in this sport that would very likely also save 1 roster spot with his quality and versatility. And Wynn lost one whole everlasting footbal season on the field with Dante. Big loss altogether..

Lets add that he was the only Pat OT besides Cannon (and Croston) signed for more than this year which puts Bill (and Dante hopefully) under a lot of pressure again to secure decent quality and depth at the position beyond 2018. While hopefully Wynn can return in 2019 in decent form to be a solid starter they will not know that in March and April when the majority of roster building is done (at arguably most difficult position to do that). After all the investments in OL and OT especially last couple of years (two consecutive top draft picks, trades etc) BB and Dante will have to perform another magic..

You're absolutely right. Here it is:
http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Relatively small sample, but basically 2/3 of players came back at all, and most aren't as effective. They're judging effectiveness by games played and by certain "power" traits. BUT the big thing that sticks out to me is that the average age of those participants in the data was 29. Interesting question is how many 30-31-32 year olds are as effective as they were at age 29 in the general NFL population -- i.e., I'm not seeing anything about a control group here.

More interestingly (to me) and positively, there's a more recent study here:
Most football players returned to NFL after Achilles tendon repair

I'm not seeing the source so there could still be some issues. Big change, though is that while the overall return rate is only slightly higher (73%), they did do a control group analysis and found that for every position except linebacker, they couldn't find any proof that it leads to less effectiveness for those that do return.
Didn’t look at this but I would venture many if those players were toward the end of their careers as it seems Achilles injuries are much more common in older players after wear and tear.

Didn’t look at this but I would venture many if those players were toward the end of their careers as it seems Achilles injuries are much more common in older players after wear and tear.

Yup - I agree, that's the point I attempted to make in my first paragraph after the link of the 1st study. Regarding the more recent study in the 2nd link, they didn't provide any details on the age of the players. So unless someone is willing to buy me a subscription to Foot and Ankle International for Christmas, I don't know the answer here. :)

The only silver lining I can find here is that if you're going to count on a 300+ pound guy to come back from a torn achilles, 21 is probably the perfect age to do it. And if you're going to tear your achilles, might as well be before the season starts - maximizes his chances of having some kind of offseason and a full year next year.

Other than that, I'm coming up empty. This sucks.

It's a really unfortunate development. We were really looking towards this guy to fill Solder's shoes in the future. However at least we have Trent Brown and the guy has looked pretty solid for us hasn't he?

I have heard references to this Dr Chao but I don’t know what it means. Anyone care to explain?

Dr. David Chao, former team doctor for the San Diego Chargers. Was "let go" due to ethical/personal issues and the CA medical board issued various sanctions against him. For the last few seasons, he's been watching all NFL games and providing initial diagnoses based on everything he can see in the video.

As others have noted, he has a very high rate of success. He caveats himself well in his tweets, too, so even in his misses you understand why. Clearly he has personal issues that would cause me pause if he were actually treating me (you can google that), but for our interwebbing purposes I find him highly credible.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the couch watching TV, Chau has been spot-on tweeting what the injury was before the team or people like Schefter report it.

He used to be the sports med doctor for the Chargers so he does have medical training.

The only silver lining I can find here is that if you're going to count on a 300+ pound guy to come back from a torn achilles, 21 is probably the perfect age to do it. And if you're going to tear your achilles, might as well be before the season starts - maximizes his chances of having some kind of offseason and a full year next year.

Other than that, I'm coming up empty. This sucks.

should of kept solder....he was solid for the last 7 years.

last couple of drafts have produced dud after dud.

Except, of course, the year that Solder missed 12 games plus playoffs due to a torn biceps. We'll excuse his injury and not Wynn's though. Wynn who wasn't projected to be the starter this year, either (like Solder wasn't his rookie year).

Solder has a $10M salary cap charge for the Giants this year. Who would you have cut / not signed instead to make him fit? His base salary for this year and next year is fully guaranteed, too, so wondering how you would have made him fit at a $17M cap charge for 2019 as well (projected to be about 9% of the total 2019 salary cap).

You think solder should get the biggest contract ever given to an OL?

un****ing believable

Its SOOOOO frustrating to not be able to see our top picks play and contribute.. and the impact is felt more now because we're trying to maximize the last few years of Brady's career

Top OL prospect that was basically a plug and play on multiple spots across the line is done for the year... terrific.

Worst part of football, by far... so incredibly frustrating and we still have 2 more preseason games to go! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore