PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Wynn tore Achilles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you’re saying, although I’m not sure that I totally agree with it.

When you lead the league in TD passes one year (2002) and passing yardage another year (2005), while orchestrating two last minute SB comebacks (2001, 2003) and another epic AFCCG on the road (2004) when you have a fever of close to 103, I’m going to say that he was helping to carry the team.

If anything, he sure as hell carried a rag tag group of WRs all the way to what should have been another SB victory in 2006. Brady was money from day one. He just wasn’t the focal point of the offense.
I agree with your points.

I think where I'm coming from is the D from 01 to 06 (except 02and 05) was pretty much a top D. Tom wasn't the focal point. The D was.

Would they have won those SBs without Tom? Hell no.

I agree with your points.

I think where I'm coming from is the D from 01 to 06 (except 02and 05) was pretty much a top D. Tom wasn't the focal point. The D was.

Would they have won those SBs without Tom? Hell no.

Acquiring Moss and Welker pretty much changed the philosophy of this team to more of an offensive one with Brady as the centerpiece.

Acquiring Moss and Welker pretty much changed the philosophy of this team to more of an offensive one with Brady as the centerpiece.
Yep.

Bill knew his could no longer stop Manning and he had the QB who could go toe to toe with him. He just needed more talent

IDK. I think that the change in offensive philosophy may have come first.

Prior to 2007 (2006?), all game balls were "factory fresh" - taken right out of the shipping carton, complete with their shiny (slippery) wax coating. Several QBs had been complaining about this for awhile, and asking to be allowed to use footballs that had been "broken in", with the slippery factory coating worn off through use in practice.

When the league changed their policy to allow the teams to supply the game balls - ones that had been worn (roughed up) to their QB's liking, I think BB saw how this, plus the renewed emphasis on enforcement of DPI and defensive holding rules, could have a profoundly beneficial effect on the passing game and adjusted accordingly.

So, the Moss and Welker acquisitions may have part of those adjustments, rather than the cause of them.

Anyway, those league policy changes are what turned the NFL into the "passing league" that it is today. The change to the game ball policy, however, had gone almost completely ignored by media analysts and fans until ... "Deflategate", even though it may well have had a larger impact on the increase in passing than the rule-enforcement policy change.

More arrogant, Jim Mora-style spewtum from Nick Saban. What a shock.

I'm not sure how that's "arrogant". It's true that many fans (especially alums) of big-time college programs often have some pretty unrealistic expectations for "the next man up" when injuries occur, and extremely harsh, unforgiving criticisms when that "next man" disappoints - all echoed (if not aided and abetted by) sports media.

I can see how Saban and other college coaches get frustrated and pissed off by this relentless noise. Although it's probably unwise for Saban to vent those frustrations, I don't see that as being arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes