PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Wynn tore Achilles

Status
Not open for further replies.
should of kept solder....he was solid for the last 7 years.

last couple of drafts have produced dud after dud.
i get what you’re saying but Solder was overpaid. Although Brown wasn’t very good last night, I’m confident he’ll be a fine replacement.

The highlight of the preseason so far is that Derek Rivers looks like a beast. Very excited to see what he can bring this season.

Brady, Gronkowski, Edelman, Hightower, Gilmore, and McCourty are healthy. If those six stay healthy we’re still in the fortunate category.

Agree and my intent is not to bash BB the drafter. Every team has hits and misses. When it comes to player acquisition, over his entire 19 year history drafting players and signing UFAs, FAs, waiver wire castoffs and homeless grandmothers, there is no one on the planet who has a better overall track record than BB.

With Easley, he missed on the medical prognosis and he missed on the system/attitude fit. It happens.

For every Shaq Mason, Malcolm Butler, Wise, Hightower, Cannon, etc there is Easley, Brace, Cyrus, etc.

Yeah agreed

B.B. had fantastic early drafts 2010-2013 where we hit big....which laid the foundation for two big super bowl wins.. but we traded a lot of those guys away or let them walk in free agency

SINCE 2014...a combination of bad injury luck, and a few early misses has left the patriots slightly scarce in young talent....

But i have a feeling we are going to hit big in the first round in the next few years...we are due. And we have drafted well in rounds 3-4 lately gaining White, rivers, wise, Flowers, and Bentley etc

Damn...last 3 bulldog draft picks by pats can’t get on field

Ironically I think he ended up a bad pick for the character concerns and not the medicals. If he was a coachable person he would still be here.
Well, he is just recovering from a torn ACL for a 3rd time. But yes, I’ve heard his attitude sucked as well.

Yeah agreed

B.B. had fantastic early drafts 2010-2013 where we hit big....which laid the foundation for two big super bowl wins.. but we traded a lot of those guys away or let them walk in free agency

SINCE 2014...a combination of bad injury luck, and a few early misses has left the patriots slightly scarce in young talent....

But i have a feeling we are going to hit big in the first round in the next few years...we are due. And we have drafted well in rounds 3-4 lately gaining White, rivers, wise, Flowers, and Bentley etc

Well, we have been unlucky in round 1...but we keep finding gems in the latter rounds/UDFA's....

I don't know any other team that could perform this well after all of our early draft pick misses (e.g. Garcia, Rivers (year 1), C. Jones, and etc...).

this stinks. I thought him and Garcia would be studs on the O line for the next couple years. Freak bad luck to both of them.

Damn...last 3 bulldog draft picks by pats can’t get on field
If Bill drafts another one early from that damaged-goods-churning program, it will be way, Way too soon.

Last edited:
Disgraceful that profits(luxury boxes) and some engineering firm from KCs decision to orient the stadium differently from old Foxboro stadium caused grass not to grow. The height of Gillette paired with the orientation does not allow enough sunlight into the stadium. Now the turf ruins career after career.
Yep.

Of all of the NFL stadia built during the last 20 years, Gillette is Easily the Worst of them.

But hey, howza 'bout that Optum club!

I think our last opponent lost three guys on our turf. There should be data on stadium turf injuries and I hope that was applied when they decided on the turf we are playing on.

Tom F Brady is the Lipstick trying its best to mask the Pig of the Emperor's draft history.
It just shows how there’s no question Brady is the best of all time. He’s never had less than 9 wins in a season and only missed the playoffs one time in his long career. He’s dealt with some very mediocre rosters at best at times but still made the Pats extremely competitive. Every other QB in the NFL has not been able to overcome the adversity from their front office. They always have excuses.

Every team would like to model themselves after the Pats but it’s unrealistic when you have very bad QB play. That’s what it all comes down to. This is why teams over pay for talent to compensate for mediocre QB’s.

Last edited:
If Bill drafts another one early from that damaged-goods-churning program, it will be way, Way too soon.
So you are saying that we should draft players without a substantial injury history and with no issues identified in combine medicals?

So you are saying that we should draft players like... Isaiah Wynn?

Next man up. The fact is, the Pats build teams that have great competency in their depth and flexibility in the gameplan to accommodate to changes. Admittedly, I'm not happy with the drafts of the past several years for the Pats (even prior to the injuries, I didn't love the picks), but so it goes. We'll win with 5th and 6th rounders anyways.

Some comments on the comments:

1. eg Michell/Easley/Gronk/Mitchell: When you have picked in the bottom 10 of each round for most of the last 2 decades you HAVE to take a few risks in order to up your talent level. Most of the elite players are gone within the first 7 picks and Richard Seymour was that last Patriot player picked in that august area. By the time the Pats are picking in the mid to low 20's or in the 30's they guys that are available have the same athletic ability as those who are being picked in the 40's and 50's (according to most draft analysts I've read).

They hit a home run with Gronk, got one good year out of Mitchell, Easley was a bust (though he did have an effective year with the Pats) and Michell's story has yet to be written. But unless you want to go back to the bad old days, the Pats will always need to take risks on draft day.

2. The real shame about Wynn's injury was the fact that he looked so good BEFORE he got hurt. I was playing poker at Foxwoods, so admittedly I was paying full attention to the game, but I was a few replays where they were pointing out Wynn's sold play. So if you need to spin some kind of positive about this game is that it was clear WHY the Pats picked this kid late in the first round.

3. Finally it should always be remembered that the true test of any draft picks worth is how he develops over the course of his rookie contract. Those who buy into the programs and get the most out of the excellent coaching they get here will keep on improving the longer that stay. We might forget that Brady was an overnight success that took four seasons before he was ready to carry a team. And based on a few clips I saw James White has gone from the last guy I ever wanted to run the ball to a guy who looked almost electric in the other night's game. From a guy who was always brought down by the first guy to touched him, to a guy who was bouncing off of tackles at an alarming rate. For 4 years James White, despite his catching ability, was a guy who sucked as a runner, BUT he made slow and incremental progress over the years. In this game, at least, he took a giant leap his progression.

The player the Patriots will pick next year in the first round has suffered a devastating lower leg injury during the 2019 preseason, according to a source who will hear about the news about a year from now. The Patriots had high hopes for this player and were hoping he would make a big impact during the 2019-20 season. “It’s a setback, but I can only control what I can control. I’m not going to work as hard as I can, keep my focus, and hopefully be ready when my name is called,” the as-of-today collegiate player told several reporters.

In other news, Sam Darnold has been moved to fourth on th Jets depth chart, behind Johnny Manziel, Mike Glennon, and that old, mega sized fan with the weird flying Jet hat.

Many possibilities:

1) Injured player

2) Easley/Brown/Cyrus Jones/Chad Jackson/Maroney type of first or second round bust

3) Goodell steals another pick

4) Bill trades into 2020 and subsequently into 2021

5) We hit on the pick, but the player (Collins/Jones) is a headcase who is traded

6) Player produces, but is often banged up (HT)

7) Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back