PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Mounting belief Browns take Mayfield #1 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My list includes Baltimore as the Colts/Ravens and Indy only as the Indy Colts. I suppose I could change that to Baltimore/Indy Colts, like the lawyers want it.
Officially the balitimore and Indy colts are the same franchise and Baltimore Ravens started in the 90s

Yes, because the browns of the 50s and 60s are the same as the Browns today. :rolleyes:

The same logic could be applied to the Packers, Colts, Bears, Giants, Steelers, 49ers, Redskins, Eagles, Lions, Rams and Cardinals.

I suspected a surprise pick...

Is he really a surprise though? Everyone is behind the times here - everyone still talks about the Rutgers pipeline as a punchline for a surprise pick. But that pipeline's been closed for the last few years -- Schiano is gone, all of the players Steve Belichick played with are gone. There's no special connection there anymore.

On the other hand, Arkansas' fingerprints have been all over this team this decade. Check it out:
Ryan Mallett, 2011
Jake Bequette, 2012
Trey Flowers, 2015
AJ Derby, 2015
Deatrich Wise, 2017

Bret Beliema had been the coach since 2013. He was just hired by the Patriots, and one of his initial roles was to consult with them on the draft:
What is former Arkansas coach Bret Bielema's role with Patriots?

Note that prior to being at Arkansas, he coached at Wisconsin - and was a head coach of 2014 draftee James White.

Arkansas is the new Rutgers. Ragnow will be a Patriot if he makes it that far.

Officially the balitimore and Indy colts are the same franchise and Baltimore Ravens started in the 90s

I know that, and said so in my response. I hate giving Irsay the credit, but for you I'll change it. There's also some issues with other teams. I think the Rams started in Cleveland and the Chiefs started in Dallas. Then of course there's the Houston Oilers/Texans and Tennessee Titans problem. What would you like me to do with those?

Anyway, my point was, and still is, that the Browns were not always the laughing stock that they've been lately. Far from it in fact.

I know that, and said so in my response. I hate giving Irsay the credit, but for you I'll change it. There's also some issues with other teams. I think the Rams started in Cleveland and the Chiefs started in Dallas. Then of course there's the Houston Oilers/Texans and Tennessee Titans problem. What would you like me to do with those?

Anyway, my point was, and still is, that the Browns were not always the laughing stock that they've been lately. Far from it in fact.
Franchises don’t become new when they move, aside from
Browns/Ravens.

You wouldn’t consider the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams the same team.

Is he really a surprise though? Everyone is behind the times here - everyone still talks about the Rutgers pipeline as a punchline for a surprise pick. But that pipeline's been closed for the last few years -- Schiano is gone, all of the players Steve Belichick played with are gone. There's no special connection there anymore.

On the other hand, Arkansas' fingerprints have been all over this team this decade. Check it out:
Ryan Mallett, 2011
Jake Bequette, 2012
Trey Flowers, 2015
AJ Derby, 2015
Deatrich Wise, 2017

Bret Beliema had been the coach since 2013. He was just hired by the Patriots, and one of his initial roles was to consult with them on the draft:
What is former Arkansas coach Bret Bielema's role with Patriots?

Note that prior to being at Arkansas, he coached at Wisconsin - and was a head coach of 2014 draftee James White.

Arkansas is the new Rutgers. Ragnow will be a Patriot if he makes it that far.

No one has talked about Ragnow to the Pats so yes in that sense it would be a surprise

Boy the browns better hope they don't flop with Mayfield. Giants could fleece some team for that number 2 pick. Hopefully it's the bills or dolphins.

That would be a smart move by Cleveland.

Agreed on the Browns.

If the NYG pass on a QB or don't trade down when they are in this spot with old Eli 1 foot out the door then they are nothing but stupid, moronic, dumb, dull, slow witted, dense, simple minded, foolish, half baked, empty headed nincompoops!

I wonder if i made that clear enough?

Last edited:
Agreed on the Browns.

If the NYG pass on a QB and don't trade down when they are in this spot with old Eli 1 foot out the door then they are nothing but stupid, moronic, dumb, dull, slow witted, dense, simple minded, foolish, half baked, empty headed nincompoops!

I wonder if i made that clear enough?

Likely take darnold but they can fleece some team like the bills into giving them a plethora of picks.

Likely take darnold but they can fleece some team like the bills into giving them a plethora of picks.

I'd be find with them fleecing a team. What I would hate for them to do is pick a RB or DE with that pick. To me that would be a horrible GM move. Even if they trade down to 12 lets say they can easily trade back up into the top 8 for a falling QB or blue chip player and have extra resources to boot.

Here is how I play it I am I the NYG GM.

Trade #2 for for #12, #22 a 2nd round pick and a 4th next year. They then trade that #12 pick and a 3rd to move up to #8 and pick up Rosen or a top positional player.

To me that would be the best possible way they could play this.

I'd be find with them fleecing a team. What I would hate for them to do is pick a RB or DE with that pick. To me that would be a horrible GM move. Even if they trade down to 12 lets say they can easily trade back up into the top 8 for a falling QB or blue chip player and have extra resources to boot.

Here is how I play it I am I the NYG GM.

Trade #2 for for #12, #22 a 2nd round pick and a 4th next year. They then trade that #12 pick and a 3rd to move up to #8 and pick up Rosen or a top positional player.

To me that would be the best possible way they could play this.

They need so much. That’s exactly what I think they should do. Trade down

Boy the browns better hope they don't flop with Mayfield.

It's the Browns. I doubt that they're more likely to flop (or flop worse) with Mayfield than with any other QB prospect they might take. I mean, their chances of flopping are +/- 90% regardless.

Good! They deserve each other.

The AFL and the original NFL don't exist anymore either. The point is that Cleveland won titles in the pro leagues that they played in at the time. IMHO they should count.
Sorry, but I don’t recognize the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers or Houston Oilers as champions.

Sorry, but I don’t recognize the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers or Houston Oilers as champions.

You're well within your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore