PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Martellus Bennett wants to return to NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah let's just judge him as done right now and then if he does manage to play and contribute meaningless snaps ignore everything we said and say we knew Bill was a genius all along!

So just to be clear, we're going all Casserly-Polian on his ass?

No idea what marty has left though

Who cares, sign him!

If Martellius wants to come out of retirement (I'm dubious of), he's been keeping himself somewhere in the ballpark of football shape (I'm uncertain of), his back and any other health issues are resolved (I'm questioning of), his 1.5 years away from football in no way discourages him from the zealous and very time consuming work needed for the toughest program in the NFL (I'm doubtful of), and he will take a 'no risk to the Patriots if cut' contract (I'm skeptical of)?? What is BB waiting for, sign him without hesitation and immediately!!

Marty is just trolling Pats fans

I think it could go deeper than that. Sufficient mentions in the dopey sports media translates to money (Gronk was making that an art form the past few years). If so then very smart of Martellius.
He may be retired from playing the game of football but playing the game of earning money is a game one rarely retires from. And to quote a movie "money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Ya. He is only 2 years older than Gronk and would be coming off a year where he didnt play so he would be coming in fresh

... And rusted. Not that the rust can't be scraped off, but there's rust factor for sure.

And just for the record, I'm all for it.

Ya. He is only 2 years older than Gronk and would be coming off a year where he didnt play so he would be coming in fresh

Fresh? If a player has been working out damn hard with the singular mental and physical goal to get back to playing in the NFL? I could buy the fresh argument.
If player (one in his 30s) is seemingly happy, and calmly decides, to retire from the game without any further intention of continuing/staying in that lofty mental and physical football shape? I'd say that leans more toward stale than fresh.

I hate to be the buzz kill for the Marty resurrection parade but does anyone actually know if he has even been keeping in very good shape? Is his back issues resolved to a football degree? Some indication he has a very serious urge to get back to the extreme grind known as an NFL season? Will be happy to do this at a yearly pay rate notably below what he was accustomed to before retirement?

How can it not benefit the patriots to give Marty a chance to compete with Hollister, Izzo and Anderson for our #3 TE roster spot?

At worst, he is cut.

At best, he is the backup to the 2 starters, including someone like James.

Alternatively, he competes with a draftee for the #2 spot, or backs him up.

Marty is a low cost option that could help the 2019 team.

How can it not benefit the patriots to give Marty a chance to compete with Hollister, Izzo and Anderson for our #3 TE roster spot?

At worst, he is cut.

At best, he is the backup to the 2 starters, including someone like James.

Alternatively, he competes with a draftee for the #2 spot, or backs him up.

Marty is a low cost option that could help the 2019 team.
How do we know that he will even want to return as merely a low-cost option?

I would love the Bennett brothers on the radio up against Felger and Mazz.

Oh shyt. Talk about happy endings.
In related news, Beck Bennett is playing Squirrel in the Netflix movie

And Michael will indeed come out if Tony Bennett sings the national anthem on Banner Raising Night.

Hard to imagine being prouder of our Pats than we already are, but if the whole team including Tom raised a clenched fist in support of persecuted African Americans that would rule.

...not to mention piss off the racist owners

In related news, Beck Bennett is playing Squirrel in the Netflix movie

And Michael will indeed come out if Tony Bennett sings the national anthem on Banner Raising Night.

Hard to imagine being prouder of our Pats than we already are, but if the whole team including Tom raised a clenched fist in support of persecuted African Americans that would rule.

Just because Kraft doesn't like red doesn't mean he's a racist. :D

I would love the Bennett brothers on the radio up against Felger and Mazz.
...and see them grind Douche and Squeaky into dust.

Just because Kraft doesn't like red doesn't mean he's a racist. :D
Nor does it mean he approves of two stolen first rounders, but he's in the minority there

...and he's not actually doing anything about either

I could live with being thin at Brandon and Malcolm, if we're two deep at the Bennett position...

Kraft just founded the REFORM alliance back in January, which is huge. His efforts will help promote change to the criminal justice system, particularly for those of color.

His actions speak much louder than raising a fist in the air. Last I heard, there were some pretty hefty figures getting thrown around. Too bad he went and got himself in trouble, because this was big news. He should be regarded as something of a hero, instead of a dirty old man.

Robert Kraft and Criminal Justice Reform - What is Robert Kraft's REFORM Alliance?

I could live with being thin at Brandon and Malcolm, if we're two deep at the Bennett position...

Some think it could’ve worked, but it also had the potential to backfire in a terrible way, so as a fan, I’m glad to hear that Martellus will be continuing to smoke weed and play with colorforms, or sidewalk chalk, or slime, or whatever medium he chooses for his art, these days.

I think it could go deeper than that. Sufficient mentions in the dopey sports media translates to money (Gronk was making that an art form the past few years). If so then very smart of Martellius.
He may be retired from playing the game of football but playing the game of earning money is a game one rarely retires from. And to quote a movie "money won is twice as sweet as money earned"
Did you just quote Molly's Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye