PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Martellus Bennett wants to return to NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can’t you have Gronk, Martellus, and a rookie TE?

I guess you could but the problem isTE3 would barely play here .

The kid needs reps to grow and later contribute

Bennett's snap count would have to be limited anyway and during an entire season Gronk isn't playing 100% of the time anymore IMO. The "third TE" would have to be at least a blocker first, so he might end up with more snaps than Bennett.

Crossing threads, I don't know if you want BOTH Amendola and Martellus. How does Michael react if his brother is cut?

Bennett's snap count would have to be limited anyway and during an entire season Gronk isn't playing 100% of the time anymore IMO. The "third TE" would have to be at least a blocker first, so he might end up with more snaps than Bennett.

Crossing threads, I don't know if you want BOTH Amendola and Martellus. How does Michael react if his brother is cut?

I think Martellus would be TE3 and not the rookie.

We'll see about Gronks snap counts. He was a 100% snap guy last year. If they still want to run 2, 12, 22 or whatever a lot , Gronk will still see the field a lot (which is a good thing)

As long as he can still play, ill take him back in a heartbeat. We can still draft a tight end for the future.

Imagine a receiving core or Edelman, Gordon, Bennett, Gronk, White, Dola

We'll see about Gronks snap counts. He was a 100% snap guy last year.

The snap count last year was 75%. I know it's injuries, but what's the odds he goes an entire season without anything? And even if he does, they will likely have less lofty goals for snap counts than the beginning of this season. Those incentives could have ruined his year.

For Gronk to be 100% for the playoffs, no way he plays more than 80 - 85% and Bennett might get 40%. Plenty of room for a young TE to develop, which was what I was saying.

Marty B. would definitely be the “help” Gronkowski wants to return another season. I’m thinking the Patriots could go heavy on TEs with 4 on the 53 this upcoming season. They have always liked their two TE sets and with Gronkowski, Bennett, TE to be drafted in April, Hollister, Izzo, and Anderson they would have lots of combinations to run them.

The snap count last year was 75%. I know it's injuries, but what's the odds he goes an entire season without anything? And even if he does, they will likely have less lofty goals for snap counts than the beginning of this season. Those incentives could have ruined his year.

For Gronk to be 100% for the playoffs, no way he plays more than 80 - 85% and Bennett might get 40%. Plenty of room for a young TE to develop, which was what I was saying.
My point was he is a full time player still. He won't sit if he's healthy....which is a big if

My point was he is a full time player still. He won't sit if he's healthy....which is a big if

Of course. I was just responding to the reality of - if a Gronk/Bennett combo would stunt a young TE's growth.

Of course. I was just responding to the reality of - if a Gronk/Bennett combo would stunt a young TE's growth.
I think Marty was around 45% snaps here. I'd need to look

I trust BB will not even consider this unless he is convinced that Marty is healthy enough to really help the team. Its not BB's job to make brother reunion dreams a reality.

The last year Marty played he was so banged up and seemed really slow. I am not sure that having 2 old banged up slow TE's is a good idea, not withstanding that Marty B is a great quote machine and well liked by fans

Last edited:
1) I'd rather have Bennett than Hollister as our #3 TE.

2) I'd rather have Jesse James than a rookie as our #2 TE. We would still have Izzo developing on the Practice Squad.

3) Given our new style of offense, I'd be fine having a 4th TE (a top draftee) instead of a Patterson type 5th WR.

I trust BB will not even consider this unless he is convinced that Marty is helathy enough to really help the team. Its not BB's job to make brother reunion dreams a reality, only if it will clearly help the team.

The last year Marty played he was so banged up and seemed really slow. I am not sure that having 2 old banged up slow TE's is a good idea, not withstanding that Marty B is a great quote machine and well liked by fans

Ranking NFL teams by age after 53-man cutdowns: 2018 edition

Getting younger will happen when the Pats lose the following players to cuts or retirement and replace them with younger players or rookies..........When BB starts cutting long time starters will be the beginning of the " getting younger" movement.

Brady, Hoyer,McCourty (2) , Chung, Edelman, Gronkowski, Slater, Gostkowski, Allen, Hogan,McClellan, Humber....Those are the players that are older than the 26.8 yr average of Pats players on roster......Is there anyone I missed?

Flowers being replaced by Bennett doesn't improve the average age and replacing Hollister with his brother is another negative agewise.....

1) I'd rather have Bennett than Hollister as our #3 TE.

2) I'd rather have Jesse James than a rookie as our #2 TE. We would still have Izzo developing on the Practice Squad.

3) Given our new style of offense, I'd be fine having a 4th TE (a top draftee) instead of a Patterson type 5th WR.

Not sure about #3....I think CP provides the Swiss Army Knife player that BB likes.....RB, WR,ST ...A 3 fer......but that's just me ....

I trust BB will not even consider this unless he is convinced that Marty is healthy enough to really help the team. Its not BB's job to make brother reunion dreams a reality.

Didnt he play with a torn rotator cuff though? And then he tore a muscle in his leg that was enough to shut him down for good? That was the year he quit on the packers.

Even with a torn shoulder bill found him useful enough to sign and I recall him having a couple solid games. Perhaps a year off will make him fresher.

Cant hurt having another big body for the redzone and split snaps with Gronk and a rookie tight end

OR they can use this tactic. Hey, Mike. help us create a few million in cap space with YOUR contract, and we'll use it to give to you brother.

This tactic can also be used on the McCourty brothers, and to a much lesser degree with the Hollister boys or any Gonkowski brother who may pop up. ;)

I wish Marty2046 played for the Pats.

Ranking NFL teams by age after 53-man cutdowns: 2018 edition

Getting younger will happen when the Pats lose the following players to cuts or retirement and replace them with younger players or rookies..........When BB starts cutting long time starters will be the beginning of the " getting younger" movement.

Brady, Hoyer,McCourty (2) , Chung, Edelman, Gronkowski, Slater, Gostkowski, Allen, Hogan,McClellan, Humber....Those are the players that are older than the 26.8 yr average of Pats players on roster......Is there anyone I missed?

Flowers being replaced by Bennett doesn't improve the average age and replacing Hollister with his brother is another negative agewise.....
This is kind of a ludicrous stat. The gap between the youngest and oldest is about a year and half. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back