PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rowe back, Hoyer #2, coaches speak @bye-practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a reason why Harbaugh went with the read-option when Kap was the QB in SF. The read-option is just about as simple an offense you can muster in the NFL because it requires the QB to make only one read.

But the NFL always evolves, and always has. Other teams caught up with the read-option and got better at stopping it. Good and smart quarterbacks adjust to this and run a different offense.

Kap didn't. 49ers went 8-8. Simple as that.

Again, this is not to take away from what he's accomplished off the field, but an explanation of why he would not thrive in the Patriots system.
It’s sad that you just had to explain that to someone. No, Kaepernick is not a fit in the most complicated offense in the world. No, Kaepernick is not a fit in most offenses anymore. This is to go along with the fact that Hoyer has won as a starter in this league with offenses just as bad (or worse), knows the system itself, and has had experiences in different systems. Kaepernick isn’t in the league anymore because he’s a one trick pony that got figured out long ago. He just isn’t a fit here and people insisting that he is, likely out of some misplaced sense of duty, are showing that they don’t know a whole hell of a lot about the offensive system the Patriots run.

Trent Dilfer.
2017-02-09-TheGOAT-492x1024.png

The evolution of Kaepernick’s talent has been fun to watch as he’s grown from meh to somehow a top tier QB without playing any games during that period.

No Kap is a junk QB with a 90 QB rating, probably similar to other junk players. The point people make is that when Brock (more likely Borat) Osshitter can start in the NFL it makes you wonder. Not to mention all the other junk QBs in the league.

It’s sad that you just had to explain that to someone. No, Kaepernick is not a fit in the most complicated offense in the world. No, Kaepernick is not a fit in most offenses anymore. This is to go along with the fact that Hoyer has won as a starter in this league with offenses just as bad (or worse), knows the system itself, and has had experiences in different systems. Kaepernick isn’t in the league anymore because he’s a one trick pony that got figured out long ago. He just isn’t a fit here and people insisting that he is, likely out of some misplaced sense of duty, are showing that they don’t know a whole hell of a lot about the offensive system the Patriots run.
People are going over board with him, but I think he could be useful somewhere. People do need to stop bringing up he went to a Super Bowl (5 years ago) as proof he’s great. Wilson or Newton would still be in the NFL if they did what he did, Kaep couldn’t afford to because he’s not that great, but in fairness he was pretty good on a horrific roster last year. He’s prob better than Bortles.

People are going over board with him, but I think he could be useful somewhere. People do need to stop bringing up he went to a Super Bowl (5 years ago) as proof he’s great. Wilson or Newton would still be in the NFL if they did what he did, Kaep couldn’t afford to because he’s not that great, but in fairness he was pretty good on a horrific roster last year. He’s prob better than Bortles.
He would struggle in most systems for the previously mentioned reasons. His bread and butter is a system that only requires him to make one read then use his feet to make a play. Whether that would work out for him now (he’s very thin and has lost quite a bit of muscle mass) or not is up for debate. But he’s simply not good enough for teams to take the shot on him and endure the ensuing media circus that would come with it. That’s why he’s out of work still.

The origin of this thread was Hoyer, Rowe and how the Patriots are coming around the halfway mark of the season. If they can get Mitchell back and activate defensive guys Valentine and McLellin, they get stronger than they finished the first half. Hightower's loss is very significant for the stretch run, but not fatal if Harris can stay healthy and take on a play calling roll.

The news on Hogan not needing surgery is huge, especially if Mitchell can return at full speed. They could essentially platoon opposite Cooks and keep the pressure on safeties to stay honest in medium to deep routes.

The two most important games of the second half, IMHO, are the two Buffalo games in December. They look disciplined, fast, and focused, unlike previous editions. Maybe crappy weather will help mitigate their overall team speed.

And, let's hope for fewer injuries.

The origin of this thread was Hoyer, Rowe and how the Patriots are coming around the halfway mark of the season. If they can get Mitchell back and activate defensive guys Valentine and McLellin, they get stronger than they finished the first half. Hightower's loss is very significant for the stretch run, but not fatal if Harris can stay healthy and take on a play calling roll.

The news on Hogan not needing surgery is huge, especially if Mitchell can return at full speed. They could essentially platoon opposite Cooks and keep the pressure on safeties to stay honest in medium to deep routes.

The two most important games of the second half, IMHO, are the two Buffalo games in December. They look disciplined, fast, and focused, unlike previous editions. Maybe crappy weather will help mitigate their overall team speed.

Most reports I’ve read have Mitchell being nowhere near ready. I think he’s done for the year.

Thanks for steering it back.
Agreed on BUF.

Just to update you re. IR guys to return. McClellin was already designated so its one of: VV or MM.

LB coach Flores:

“I have a lot of confidence in the entire group, starting with Brandon King,” Flores said. “He does a great job in the kicking game. Marquis Flowers has got a little role. David (Harris)’s been great the last couple weeks — really all year. I shouldn’t say the last couple weeks. He’s been great all year. Elandon (Roberts), Kyle (Van Noy), those guys, you know, Dont’a obviously was a tough loss for us, but I think as a group, everyone’s got to pick it up. We definitely have the next-man-up mentality. Our feeling was just that everyone has to chip in a little bit, do a little bit more. I think we got a little bit of that last week, and hopefully that continues.”

“The more you can do,” Flores said. “That’s something we’ve preached here since I’ve been here. Whether it’s Kyle doing something a little bit different, Elandon’s done a few different things, David did a few different things. Collectively, I think as a team, everyone had to step up a little bit more with the absence of Dont’a. I think we did that. We’re going to have to do that moving forward too.”

Here full article from Kyed on LB situation:
Read more at: Why Patriots Have Confidence In Linebackers Despite Dont’a Hightower’s Injury

^ You know I was gonna say, what about Brandon King? I know he is a ST ace but maybe he would be good in that "star" role. couldn't be worse than jordan richards right?

^ You know I was gonna say, what about Brandon King? I know he is a ST ace but maybe he would be good in that "star" role. couldn't be worse than jordan richards right?

Maybe some of the football savants could explain why Bad-ass-mosi would not be the STAR with Gilmore returning?

Maybe some of the football savants could explain why Bad-ass-mosi would not be the STAR with Gilmore returning?
I think he’ll be tossed into the competition there when Rowe and Gilmore return. He certainly seems to have the short area quickness needed for the position and we all know he’s a very solid tackler.

No Kap is a junk QB with a 90 QB rating, probably similar to other junk players. The point people make is that when Brock (more likely Borat) Osshitter can start in the NFL it makes you wonder. Not to mention all the other junk QBs in the league.

Talent
+
Schematic fit
+
Lack of distraction
=
Viable backup QB and/or viable low end starter

Use that formula.
Find the teams for Kaepernick, remembering that teams who are developing recently drafted prospects will also have that as a factor, and that teams vying for a top pick in the upcoming draft (i.e. Browns) actually have an incentive to stay lousy.

He was terrible last year. Terrible.

Most reports I’ve read have Mitchell being nowhere near ready. I think he’s done for the year.
I think al of those reports are retreads of Reiss saying he sensed Mitchell wasn’t close.
Reiss was so confident in that sense that he asked BB what Mitchell’s status is a couple of days ago and was told he is possible to return.

Buffalo is living off of turnovers.
In their last 5 games they have 15 takeaways and are +13 and 4-1 (actually losing a ganevthey were +2 to the bungles)
3 were at home. Only one of the 5 has a winning record and their combined records are 15-21.

If they keep up the historic turnover performance they will be a contender. If they do not, their lack of talent will show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes