PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers to sign 4 yr/134 Mil extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when you give the team a discount, there is no guarantee they will be good enough to win. So smart move on his part to maximize his earnings.

Hey to each their own. I'm all about projection. Any one can you after the fact.

I think you missed my point though. How can you get a proper read on someone who was working w 15% of the playbook, has new weapons w what looks like an improved defense?

He took a lottery team & won out. After looking vg in action here.

It's a completely different team that by all accounts has improved in all areas.

Again I think it's just something people say considering I haven't heard a logical argument to support it.

Just "sample size", "teams will look at the tape" etc. Again to each their own.
I don't get your point brother. Are you suggesting having no tape vs having tape on a quarterback, his tendencies, best throws, favorite targets, progressions etc is inconsequential to opposing teams? It isn't Madden out there, he can't just go out and press square to hit the open receiver. This stuff matters.

I think he'll be ok nonetheless

I don't get your point brother. Are you suggesting having no tape vs having tape on a quarterback, his tendencies, best throws, favorite targets, progressions etc is inconsequential to opposing teams? It isn't Madden out there, he can't just go out and press square to hit the open receiver. This stuff matters.

I think he'll be ok nonetheless
We agree here lol.;):p
Again some of his fav targets will be guys that haven't played any snaps in the league like Pettis, James or guys like Kittle who haven't played a half season w Jimmy.

What about the impact JM will have whos perfect for that offense?

Or the fact that KS hasn't even broken out half his playbook yet? An improved defense.

Sure you'll look at past film but again the main point is theres NONE w this group together.

Looking at last years tape isn't the answer to stopping Jimmy this year.

Last edited:
Brady will make more money in the long run by taking the contract he has, playing until he's 45, continuing to win, and translating all that into his business ventures. He'll be making money on food, exercise routines, advice, clothing, etc. until he's 90, and doing very little to make that happen after age 45.

He's better off with Mason making what he's making, than having that money go into his contract, for example.

Brady will make more money in the long run by taking the contract he has, playing until he's 45, continuing to win, and translating all that into his business ventures. He'll be making money on food, exercise routines, advice, clothing, etc. until he's 90, and doing very little to make that happen after age 45.

He's better off with Mason making what he's making, than having that money go into his contract, for example.

Exactly...and even if he doesn’t, would you rather be know as the greatest of all-time at your craft and a $200M bank account, or be not the greatest of all-time at your craft and a $250M bank account? For most of us, that’s an easy answer.

Exactly...and even if he doesn’t, would you rather be know as the greatest of all-time at your craft and a $200M bank account, or be not the greatest of all-time at your craft and a $250M bank account? For most of us, that’s an easy answer.
One could argue that being the most expensive is also an honor, and an objective one at that.

One could also argue that paying some jumpy punk, look at me break from the pocket because I can't read a defense, discount double dork 134 million dollars is counter to the organizational objective of winning a super bowl. His best years have produced ONE, he's an injury waiting to happen now and his game depends on his legs. Not a deal I'd make. Of course, you up the butt Rodgers azz pimples have at it, braying like jackazzes about his "greatness".

I believe they only met once in the regular season. Rodgers won that game. Pass defense was awful. Interesting to see how we fare against them this time around.
NE gave up 10/17 third down conversions and almost 500 total yards of offense. They were atrocious.

If my math is right, based on a $177m cap # in 2018 and the assumption it will go up from here AR $29m/ AAV) will consume 16% vs the cap in year 1 and continue to go down.

I don’t remember whether it was Belichick or Pioli, but they once referenced the 12-15% “rule” for franchise QBs after one of Brady’s extensions had been finalized—around the 2005 mark.

If Rodgers’ deal is expected to decrease over time, 16% seems to be a good starting point in year one, especially for a player of his talent.

One could argue that being the most expensive is also an honor, and an objective one at that.

One could argue anything, no matter how nonsensical, like this point.

Packers should have followed Patriots example with Gronkowski. Look, we know you are vastly underpaid, but you also agreed a huge contract years ago that assured you a lifetime of financial freedom, and the deal was done well before you were a free agent. Let’s meet halfway and throw in some realistic incentives. Play like you have been and you’ll be the highest palid in the league, which is a gesture of good will and a good compromise. Instead the Packers are terrified that Aaron Rodgers feels unappreciated and throw $80M into his bank account, then announce they are moving the team to Jonesboro to follow Aaron’s spiritual journey. Big contrast here.

Last edited:
My first reaction is that Rodgers probably deserves this payday, comparatively speaking... when you compare him to other NFL QB's, but upon further review are the Packers heading to salary cap hell?? A lot of salary cap money tied into one position on this team..

How Aaron Rodgers' new contract affects Packers salary cap

His base salary will shrink to $1.1 million in 2019, but his cap hit will rise to $26.5 million thanks to a massive roster bonus paid out in March of next year. But even then, his percentage of the cap will only rise to 13.9.

His cap hits rise every year from 2020-2022: $32.6 million in 2020, $33.5 million in 2021 and $37.0 million in 2022. By 2023, his prorated signing bonus will expire and his cap hit will drop to $25.5 million.

I don’t remember whether it was Belichick or Pioli, but they once referenced the 12-15% “rule” for franchise QBs after one of Brady’s extensions had been finalized—around the 2005 mark.

If Rodgers’ deal is expected to decrease over time, 16% seems to be a good starting point in year one, especially for a player of his talent.
I think it was Pioli who said that.

$131m is a ****load of money but relative to the cap it's not that bad.

For this to be a good business decision he can't get hurt and needs to perform at AR level for the next few years.

That's the part which is making me question this contract

I think it was Pioli who said that.

$131m is a ****load of money but relative to the cap it's not that bad.

For this to be a good business decision he can't get hurt and needs to perform at AR level for the next few years.

That's the part which is making me question this contract

It's still a bad decision. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's worth it. Players all around the league are outplaying their contracts, but in order to restructure with TWO years remaining on the deal they've signed, it typically needs to be a huge sweetheart deal for the team in exchange for long-term stability and extra guarantees. The Packers had absolutely no reason to do this contract right now; as I've stated, they could have paid him $80M over the next three years, with two years at $22 and then the franchise tag the following season. He would be entering his age 37 season at that point. Instead they just made $80M guaranteed as the floor with no way to recoup it if he declines or gets injured - all for the very bizarre and illogical reason of locking him in for his age 38-40 seasons (absurd) even though if they still want him then, they'll just need to do the same thing all over again since he'll be "underpaid" at that point.

If Rodgers goes out and gets wrecked with a career injuring injury next year, this will be a known as one of the dumbest extensions in NFL history, though it already should be. I'm sure there are plenty of GMs out there who realize how moronic this extension is.

It's still a bad decision. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's worth it. Players all around the league are outplaying their contracts, but in order to restructure with TWO years remaining on the deal they've signed, it typically needs to be a huge sweetheart deal for the team in exchange for long-term stability and extra guarantees. The Packers had absolutely no reason to do this contract right now; as I've stated, they could have paid him $80M over the next three years, with two years at $22 and then the franchise tag the following season. He would be entering his age 39 season at that point. Instead they just made $80M guaranteed as the floor with no way to recoup it if he declines or gets injured - all for the very bizarre and illogical reason of locking him in for his age 39-41 seasons (absurd) even though if they still want him then, they'll just need to do the same thing all over again since he'll be "underpaid" at that point.

If Rodgers goes out and gets wrecked with a career injuring injury next year, this will be a known as one of the dumbest extensions in NFL history, though it already should be. I'm sure there are plenty of GMs out there who realize how moronic this extension is.

I am all in favor of other teams making dumb decisions. See: Odell's contract. I think we should other GMs to create cap problems for their teams as often as possible.

Rodgers is coming back from a season ending injury how durable is he really? Two broken collarbones, that calf issue back in 14, concussion in '10 and a few more injuries he's missed more games at age 35 than Brady has missed in his entire career. Everyone talks about the cliff with Tom what if Aaron declines first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes