PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Report: Patriots Acquire DeVante Parker from Dolphins

I think they keep Nelson. But, a reasonable request to him is to restructure his contract, add 1 more year, reduce the cap hit this year, lower his per-year salary a bit...

The real question is will he wear #11?
3 numbers may be off limits. 11 isn’t one of them. Maybe too soon for that but he’s no GOAT or even a slam dunk 1st ballot HOFer

How funny will it be if Parker goes back to a 1200 yard WR next year and Hill is under 1,000 yards and becomes a problem for McDaniel because Waddle is getting more targets. Not remotely predicting either, but just throwing it out there.

How funny will it be if Parker goes back to a 1200 yard WR next year and Hill is under 1,000 yards and becomes a problem for McDaniel because Waddle is getting more targets. Not remotely predicting either, but just throwing it out there.

Be happy if DeVante plays all 16 regular games, reach 900+yds.

Because they're not winning the SB this year, so the most important thing is to develop and support the second year QB.
They may or may not win the Super Bowl this year. Either way it’s important to develop and support the QB.
The most important thing is to support the team. It is a team sport. Mac will be OK with the cast he has.
It’s a team sport. Mac is set at QB. Most important thing is to give him the best supporting cast possible at all positions.
The game, as it's currently played, is about having an elite QB and (to the extent possible) surrounding him with top end weapons. The Patriots don't yet have either one. Get the weapons to help develop the QB.
Biggest threat to development of a young QB is the pass rush. Given enough time somebody somewhere will get open. Even if they don’t throw it away and move on to the next play. What screws up young quarterbacks is taking hits, getting chased around, or panicking because of pressure. Even an average receiving corps is good enough with a great OL. So with this trade I’d have OL depth or if possible even better, an upgrade, as top priority on the offensive side of the ball.

on then defensive side I’ll always want to see another talented CB, and there’s always room for an outstanding LB in my book. Where we stand now I’d make replacing JC my top priority overall for the team after this trade.

Parker IN, Harry OUT is a massive upgrade. A Day 3 quick Edelman type would be nice. Not sure what BB plans to replace Karras. Otherwise offense is done. Need lots of defense.

Easy: move Wynn/Lose inside to LG where he belongs, then draft your LT of the Future with the pick you might've spent on WR before today.

Bill still needs to draft a C/G as Andrews' backup/understudy, however.

We also need an Upgrayedd for the SweetFeet position; the JJ Taylor experiment should be closed, and another UDFA given a shot.

And a legit Swing Tackle would be nice too.

Otherwise offense is done.

"finna"?

Is that short for definitely gonna? Or finally gonna?
I thinks it be “finally. But forget that…more importantly…how are you? We are very much interested in seeing you perform like previous seasons. You are a fracking maestro with the wacky player names. They always give me a chuckle. So the team here wants to see this type of work from you in the future.

If Mason or Parker receive any guarantees at this point, it will be the team driving the bus for cap space.
I’d like to see Parker’s contract extended for a year or two with a signing bonus to reduce the cap hit, maybe add some guaranteed money especially in the first year or two. Helps both sides.

The Pats have typically had more of a possession WR type as their #1 WR from Troy Brown to Edelman.
Trying to deprogram zealots. WRs are the only way to win is dogma now - and no matter what is done it's never enough. Upgrade and the upgrade was insufficient. Get a #1, and it's not the "right" #1. Or they need another #1 or need to get rid of the now #2 to draft another #1.

After a pretty "slow" offseason thus far (compared to last year especially) this is a low risk/high reward type move. Can it fail? Sure, but so can drafting any of the shiny object WRs waiting in the green room. Len Bias was a sure thing too...until he wasnt.

Until the Patriots start having losing records two or three seasons in a row, I'm still willing to give the benefit of the doubt in the team building process in most cases. (Okay, I got nothing for N'Keal - totally a swing and a miss...but that's three years of data now to form an opinion with)

"finna"?

Is that short for definitely gonna? Or finally gonna? Or five of us gonna?
This is a young people term I actually know!

Think of it like this - “gonna” is a shorthand for “going to”, and in the same sense, “finna” is a shorthand for “fixing to”. It means essentially the same thing.

3 numbers may be off limits. 11 isn’t one of them. Maybe too soon for that but he’s no GOAT or even a slam dunk 1st ballot HOFer
I agree it would be odd for 11 to be put off limits. 12 is the only obvious one that isn't officially retired yet.

I could see the Pats extending Agholor for a lower APY. They have leverage where they can just cut him and Agholor knows he won’t get a big deal elsewhere because he didn’t look that hot last year. So, if they think he will improve in the system in year 2, they can negotiate to add a year for only a few million and push some of his 2022 money into 2023.

Think of it like this - “gonna” is a shorthand for “going to”, and in the same sense, “finna” is a shorthand for “fixing to”. It means essentially the same thing.
So basically the South "gunna" combined with Texas "fixin ta"? God, if New Englanders start mixing dialect with other parts of the country..."bless their wicked haht."

Trying to deprogram zealots. WRs are the only way to win is dogma now - and no matter what is done it's never enough. Upgrade and the upgrade was insufficient. Get a #1, and it's not the "right" #1. Or they need another #1 or need to get rid of the now #2 to draft another #1.

All it takes to see where the league is is the simple act of looking at the last teams standing in recent years.

2021:

Bengals/Chiefs
Rams/49ers

Bengals/Rams

2020:

Chiefs/Bills
Bucs/Packers

Chiefs/Bucs

2019:

Chiefs/Titans
49ers/Packers

Chiefs/49ers

2018:

Patriots/Chiefs
Rams/Saints

Patriots/Rams

2017:
Patriots/Jaguars
Eagles/Vikings

Patriots/Eagles

2016:
Pariots/Steelers
Falcons/Packers

Patriots/Falcons

Understanding that outliers happen, offense is king, high-end/elite QB/WR pairs are getting to the championship games and Super Bowls, and Brady/Mahomes are showing up all over the place .

I could see the Pats extending Agholor for a lower APY. They have leverage where they can just cut him and Agholor knows he won’t get a big deal elsewhere because he didn’t look that hot last year. So, if they think he will improve in the system in year 2, they can negotiate to add a year for only a few million and push some of his 2022 money into 2023.
So, you think that the pats have the leverage, and should threaten to cut him. If Agholor stays, his AAV is more likely to go up, rather than down.
=============
I would say to bring it on. Agholor has already collected just under $12M and the team guarantees $5M more this year. He can go out and sign a new contract with someone for a $1M salary and a bonus say of $10M over a couple of years. The patriots would kick in $4M more of guaranteed salary. Obviously the 2023 salary would also be negotiated.

I'm pretty sure that the bonus doesn't count against the patriot guarantee. If it does, then the contract could have more money guaranteed in 2023. Also, incentives could be worked out.

In any case, Agholor could have his choice, knowing that he can wait until late in the season to sign, knowing that he is getting $5M from the patriots.
============
BOTTOM LINE
Agholor will either be traded, extended or left alone. Agholor should feel no pressure to modify his contract.
I haven't a clue why folks would want to make the team weaker, which they would by cutting Agholor. Given his injury history, I would think that Parker is likely to produce less that Agholor this year. But that's fine. Having both is great. And maybe the rookie will produce a lot immediately, or not.

I COULD see Agholor traded if Belichick has a veteran that he wants to add as his replacement. Given his attractive salary, I find that unlikely,

We all seem to want a WR who can "take the top off the defense". …
The passing offense this season could be greatly changed with Smith and Keane lining up at TE/FB and Wing positions creating even more dynamic problems for defenses to deal with. I don't think the addition of Parker/draft picks is going to change the fact that the running game is still going to be the heart and soul of our offense and that our passing offense is going to be based on how we can take advantage of teams that will be stacking their defenses to stop that run
I don’t particularly care about having a receiver who can “take the top off the defense". I want an offense that wins consistently. Too often depending on "taking the top off the defense" is a boom or bust all or nothing proposition. It’s like a home run hitter that either goes deep or strikes out. You win more games with small ball, marching down the field with consistency that doesn’t stop in the red zone. Problem with that guy who takes the top off is when the field is compressed in the red zone so there’s no top to take off and the skill set to get open in tight congested space isn’t the same. That’s why I like a multi-faceted receiver corps that can march down the field using the same skill set that wins in the red zone.

I‘m not entirely sure the running game will be “heart and soul of our offense” as much in the coming season. Letting Jakob go makes me think maybe things will be opened up a little more for Mac, using the ability to run or pass from the same sets with the same personnel to create those dynamic problems like you suggested.
The problem with this Ken is that once an opposing team, e.g…Buffalo goes up by two or more scores the run game goes out the window and they have to outscore them the rest of the way. A conservative game plan can work if it goes perfectly, but once it falters, like the Buffalo playoff game, then you have to be able to put up touchdowns quickly. Parker helps the offense because it gives them a real outside and end zone target, and it creates better match ups for the rest of their receiving corps, but a true #1 would then give them a 5 deep WR corps that can match up well with any defense.

My hope is that Belichick realizes that the free agent WR market is prohibitive going forward, so he will change his draft priorities to make WR a priority, as it would give them 4-5 years of salary control with them. If Jameson Williams is there at #21 I hope they take him. Wilson and London will be gone by then, but if Williams is gone Jahan Dotson will likely be there, and although he’s not a pure deep threat like Williams he is a really good WR who can help on all levels. Bottom line, I want one more high end WR for this offense, that will give Jones all the tools to have a shot at keeping pace with all the high powered offenses in the AFC.
I don’t like building the team around the proposition that the opponents go up by two or more scores. To me that’s basing your planning in presumption of failure. Better to prioritize avoiding having them do that. So before I want one more high end WR I’d prefer to see a high end CB addition. Not that I wouldn’t like another high end WR, just not a compelling priority now.

The other thing is that there are different approaches to putting up touchdowns quickly. As I said in my comments above responding to Ken, counting on a home run is a boom or bust strategy. It’s too easy to stop when the opponents know it’s all you’re going to do. To me it seems a better way to look at putting points on the board quickly is the way a two minute drill does it, and that’s not planning around depending on the home run ball. Sure, nice to have, as a luxury, but icing on the cake not the main course.

One last thing, what good is a WR with burner speed to get open forty yards downfield if the OL can’t keep the QB clean long enough for that WR to separate? To me improving the OL is more of a priority than getting the WR who can “take the top off the defense" because the OL benefits that guy plus so much more.

Not a bad move. But I don't know how much better it will make us.

Parker is one of those Dez Bryant receivers - gets big jump catches. But not much in the way of separation and route running.

You need a gunslinger with balls or precision deep thrower for that to work. (Think Stafford, Romo)

How will that work with Mac? Mac jones is more conservative with the ball. I'm not sure how productive Parker will be.

Plus, injury issues.

There's a reason why Miami traded him within the division.

Are we keeping Harry, Algholor?

All it takes to see where the league is is the simple act of looking at the last teams standing in recent years.

2021:

Bengals/Chiefs
Rams/49ers

Bengals/Rams

2020:

Chiefs/Bills
Bucs/Packers

Chiefs/Bucs

2019:

Chiefs/Titans
49ers/Packers

Chiefs/49ers

2018:

Patriots/Chiefs
Rams/Saints

Patriots/Rams

2017:
Patriots/Jaguars
Eagles/Vikings

Patriots/Eagles

2016:
Pariots/Steelers
Falcons/Packers

Patriots/Falcons

Understanding that outliers happen, offense is king, high-end/elite QB/WR pairs are getting to the championship games and Super Bowls, and Brady/Mahomes are showing up all over the place .
Yup. Let's look at the last few years a bit deeper

Rams: C. Kupp, O. Beckham
Bengals: J. Chase
Bucs: Evans, Godwin, Brown
Packers: D. Adams
Chiefs: Kelce, Hill
49ers: D. Samuel, Kettle
Bills: Diggs

Pretty plain to see that the teams that are contending have all pro/pro bowl level weapons.

This allows the Patriots to draft someone like Williams or metchie who have an ACL tear but high upside and not rush them.

Both also played with Mac Jones
Mac played with Bolden and Metchie and not Williams. Williams transferred from Ohio St after Mac left Bama. I agree though that this allows them to bring a rook along slowly.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back