PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Report: Patriots Acquire DeVante Parker from Dolphins

As others have said Parker is a Harry replacement…and because of his talent he may be WR1. I’m on-board with Keeping Nelson A and rolling with Parker, Bourne, Meyers and Nelson along with Wilkerson and Nixon. I was never a fan of drafting a WR in the 1st round who just blew up his knee (even though the knee surgeries have improved greatly). But I’m good with Metchie late 2nd or 3rd.

Yea MIA looks pretty solid in 2023 draft w/ Parker trade.
This trade makes very little sense for Miami... they just helped the Patriots get better. These two teams are real close right now... Miami has had a terrific offseason with multiple quality acquisitions... Tyreek Hill, Cedrick Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Raheem Mostert, Terron Armstead... I suppose Hill and Wilson made Parker expendable, but he's still a good receiver when healthy and he fills a need for the Patriots, so find another trade partner. Just dumb.

I’m worried about the eagles drafting Williams with 3 picks in the top 20…right before NE.
With that kind of draft capital, the Eagles should sell out for Williams, package two of those picks to move up if necessary. If Williams is still there at #15 then something's wrong. He should be gone by #12. If the Patriots want him then they'll need to trade up to get him. Unfortunately I think the trade for Parker (which I like) makes it less likely they're looking to be aggressive for Williams.

Parker doesn't get much separation. He's a big body perimeter WR who uses his body well to make contested catches. He's basically what we wanted Harry to be. I never said you had to be a burner to get separation. All I said is Mac needs a WR who can separate better then the ones we have to give him some easier completions.
May be true, but he sure as hell had no problem getting separation on gillylock.

Mac is pumped.

Well, since I didn't do that, and instead based my theory on the reality that most QBs don't enter the NFL as finished products, I'll have to ask again. What are you basing your theory on?

"Based my theory". That means you pulled it out of your ***. You are too funny. You do you - I give you credit - you have not changed.

Would he be considered a true number one?
I would say no he isn't, but he will almost assuredly line up as the X. Plays will drawn up for all of the WR's, but Mac will hit the guy that is open. I think instead of saying we need a #1 WR we needed a true X WR. My opinion only and is not necessarily a reflection of this website or forum.

This guy stays healthy and he'll outperform harry's entire career in one season...

Lots of potential.

Parker doesn't get much separation. He's a big body perimeter WR who uses his body well to make contested catches. He's basically what we wanted Harry to be. I never said you had to be a burner to get separation. All I said is Mac needs a WR who can separate better then the ones we have to give him some easier completions.

Parker does have quickness and can get separation. But he can also fight for the ball and go up over the defender when the ball is contested. You don’t have to be either or, but he does have quickness off the line that can get immediate separation on the rub routes and crossing patterns the Pats love to run.

The same thing you based your theory on below. Pulled it out of my *** just like you.

"Based my theory". That means you pulled it out of your ***. You are too funny. You do you - I give you credit - you have not changed.

I literally put that in because it was a response to the way you answered my question when you didn't actually answer my question. I'm not sure what hair is across your ass, but read what I wrote again. It's a pretty straight shot:

1. Team's not winning SB
  2. Team needs to develop its QB
  3. Better talent around the QB will help the QB develop.

I brought up rub routes in a previous post. I think that will be where Parker could make a huge impact. Those routes have been a staple of the Patriots’ offense for decades, but was a liability last year largely because Meyers was way too slow off the line and many times his route was the one getting redirected rather than the defender’s. Parker has very good quickness off the line and should take advantage of the picks from the rub routes.

Parker IN, Harry OUT is a massive upgrade. A Day 3 quick Edelman type would be nice. Not sure what BB plans to replace Karras. Otherwise offense is done. Need lots of defense.

Jerry Rice 4.71
Wes Welker 4.65
Anquan Boldin 4.71
Michael Irvin 4.52
Deandre Hopkins 4.57
Devante Adams 4.56
Cooper Kupp 4.61

Speed never hurts but it isnt everything when it comes to separation. You just have to find or luck into it which is a hard thing to do.

Jerry Rice 4.71
Wes Welker 4.65
Anquan Boldin 4.71
Michael Irvin 4.52
Deandre Hopkins 4.57
Devante Adams 4.56
Cooper Kupp 4.61

Speed never hurts but it isnt everything when it comes to separation. You just have to find or luck into it which is a hard thing to do.

In the Patriots’ offense and Jones still retooling his body, I would rather have the guy quick off the line and gets separation 1-5 off the line than a guy who can get separation consistently 30-40 yards down the field. Parker is the former.

Having both would be awesome. But in this offense and stage of Jones’ development, give me the guy who is quick off the line.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back