PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots could shop Parker

Honestly, he's fine as a depth player and his contract is not insane. However I would imagine under the new regime they would prefer to either play guys with more athleticism and/or alternatively give reps to younger guys who are also cheaper.

If they could trade him for anything, they should take it. He’s got a bad attitude.

Looking at Parker's deal, he is owed around $3M in salary in 2024 and 2025 each, with about another $3M left in signing bonus money and $1.7M in per-game roster bonuses each season. His 2024 salary is guaranteed.

If they traded him, his 2024 guaranteed salary of $3M would become the acquiring team's issue. Parker currently has a cap hit of around $6M, so trading him would give $3M of cap space and a $3M dead money hit. He would be off the books in 2025.

From the perspective of the acquiring team, they would only be responsible for his $3M guaranteed salary and his per-game roster bonuses, so he'd max out at $4.7M - less if he got hurt. His 2025 salary is not guaranteed, so they could release him next year with no cap penalty if he didn't work out. It is a pretty low cost move.

I'd say there's some value here for a team needing a boundary receiver for cheap but not a lot. They might get a 5th or 6th for him. His guaranteed salary is a bit of a pain since the acquiring team has to commit that cash for one year.

We should just eat his $$$$$$ on a cut Parker is not very good no need to keep him. Just pay his contract for the Other Team to take him like what San Diego did with JC Jackson.

Looking at Parker's deal, he is owed around $3M in salary in 2024 and 2025 each, with about another $3M left in signing bonus money and $1.7M in per-game roster bonuses each season. His 2024 salary is guaranteed.

If they traded him, his 2024 guaranteed salary of $3M would become the acquiring team's issue. Parker currently has a cap hit of around $6M, so trading him would give $3M of cap space and a $3M dead money hit. He would be off the books in 2025.

From the perspective of the acquiring team, they would only be responsible for his $3M guaranteed salary and his per-game roster bonuses, so he'd max out at $4.7M - less if he got hurt. His 2025 salary is not guaranteed, so they could release him next year with no cap penalty if he didn't work out. It is a pretty low cost move.

I'd say there's some value here for a team needing a boundary receiver for cheap but not a lot. They might get a 5th or 6th for him. His guaranteed salary is a bit of a pain since the acquiring team has to commit that cash for one year.
Parker haven't showed he's good at that every pass Jones passed to him on the Boundary results in a Pick.

I would rather give JJSS another chance and get rid of Parker.
I wish we had a choice but we don't unfortunately I think Juju is cooked what a Terrible contract more power to his Agent. :rolleyes:

I feel the opposite. Would rather send Juju off and eat some of his salary in order for another team to take him on. Get a late rounder.

Juju is probably sticking around because of his contract. His $7M guaranteed salary would be very hard to move, and cutting him even with a post-June 1st designation would still net them almost zero cap space so they may as well keep him. However, he had a good attitude last year, looked better later on briefly with Zappe and maybe there is a chance that he can get right.

If I were them, I would convert take his $7M guaranteed salary in 2024 and convert $6M of that into a signing bonus while cutting his 2024 salary to $1M, and adding 3 void years to the end of the deal. His incoming cash would remain the same but his cap hit in 2024 would go from $10M to around $5M. His cap hit would go up slightly to around $11M in 2025, but if he still looks poor this year, they could cut him next year more easily since his 2025 salary is not guaranteed. His signing bonus cash would accelerate and the overall dead money hit would be around $7M next year.

So overall you'd cut your cap hit this year from $10M to $5M, while raising your potential dead money hit next year by that same amount if he's still bad and you're cutting him. However, if he improves then you may not mind paying him that deal next year.

People forget that Parker has had very good games here. Remember the Baltimore game in 22 when he went off like crazy? Or the catch he had to win against Denver?

We’ve learned he’s definitely someone that can’t be relied on, but he could make a great 3rd/4th WR option with his occasional flashes.

Juju is probably sticking around because of his contract. His $7M guaranteed salary would be very hard to move, and cutting him even with a post-June 1st designation would still net them almost zero cap space so they may as well keep him. However, he had a good attitude last year, looked better later on briefly with Zappe and maybe there is a chance that he can get right.

If I were them, I would convert take his $7M guaranteed salary in 2024 and convert $6M of that into a signing bonus while cutting his 2024 salary to $1M, and adding 3 void years to the end of the deal. His incoming cash would remain the same but his cap hit in 2024 would go from $10M to around $5M. His cap hit would go up slightly to around $11M in 2025, but if he still looks poor this year, they could cut him next year more easily since his 2025 salary is not guaranteed. His signing bonus cash would accelerate and the overall dead money hit would be around $7M next year.

So overall you'd cut your cap hit this year from $10M to $5M, while raising your potential dead money hit next year by that same amount if he's still bad and you're cutting him. However, if he improves then you may not mind paying him that deal next year.
Ross you are amazing you should be working inside the Organization that's the way you alleviate a bad Contract bravo.

Clapping Applause GIF

Parker as a #2 or #3 on a team that has a good QB and a good WR or two might be productive. He isn't a primary WR which is how the Pats used him a lot. But I can see him in a role like how the Pats used Stallworth in 2007. Stallworth and Parker are very different WRs, but Stallworth was a defacto #3 (although a starter) who was really only used to make a handful of big plays a game.

I don't think the Pats will get anything more than a late third day pick for Parker, but I can see someone taking him off the Patriots' hands.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back