PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Thornton Already Back at Work

Ty Thornton: 7.25 Cone, 4.39 Shuttle
DK Metcalf: 7.23 Cone, 4.39 Shuttle
You're reaching. Big time. Metcalf has 50 pounds on Thornton. He's also a thick block of muscle. Thornton is a skinny twig.

Metcalf had 900 receiving yards his rookie season, he's averaged over a 1000 yards per season, and he's scored 35 TDs in 4 seasons. Thornton is NOT the second coming of DK Metcalf.

Chad Jackson '23. This is the year.

Seriously... I would love a combination of Bill O'Brien and Big O'Line to come together to let Thornton get loose and let Jones look around for a second and actually find Thornton. That's the fun of the off-season, thinking how things could pan out. But who knows whether he's every anything more than a frightening 40 time. W/Ken's last post, I'll be looking for those burst moments starting in TC... my God that seems like a long time...
I know off seasons are for hope but after years of reading off season and camp hype articles just to be crushed by actual performance on the field, I have stopped myself from having any expectations for our drafted WRs.

I know off seasons are for hope but after years of reading off season and camp hype articles just to be crushed by actual performance on the field, I have stopped myself from having any expectations for our drafted WRs.
Agreed. The off season articles and hype never seem to come true. But I hope TT breaks out this year. If you watch his Pats 2022 highlights he looks good but hesitant. I hope this year he is not hesitant.

Agreed. The off season articles and hype never seem to come true. But I hope TT breaks out this year. If you watch his Pats 2022 highlights he looks good but hesitant. I hope this year he is not hesitant.
Man, and we're fans of the best team in the history of the league up to about 3 years ago.

Long haul, boys. Everybody has to hold out hope for years before that magic run. Maybe more than 1 year of magic. maybe. I'm just hoping these around .500 years are as bad as it gets... no guarantees though :(

You're reaching. Big time. Metcalf has 50 pounds on Thornton. He's also a thick block of muscle. Thornton is a skinny twig.

Metcalf had 900 receiving yards his rookie season, he's averaged over a 1000 yards per season, and he's scored 35 TDs in 4 seasons. Thornton is NOT the second coming of DK Metcalf.
I didn't say Thornton was the second coming of Metcalf, I said other WR's with lesser agility drills have found success in the NFL.

That's just you reaching to put words in my mouth that were never uttered.

If you stopped chasing me around here like a jealous ex-girlfriend and actually read what was written you wouldn't suffer from such confusion.

Thornton doesn't have to become the next Metcalf to be successful, he could be the next David Patten, that's the only job they need him to fill.

I didn't say Thornton was the second coming of Metcalf, I said other WR's with lesser agility drills have found success in the NFL.
Right, and you picked Mr. Olympia as a comparison.

Thornton doesn't have to become the next Metcalf to be successful, he could be the next David Patten, that's the only job they need him to fill.
The undrafted David Patten who got his start in the Arena Football League. You went from Metcalf to really lowering the bar. The expectations of the 50th overall pick should be higher than an undrafted Arena player. Patten had his best seasons with the Patriots, which may have had something to do with the quarterback. Just like most of the WRs of that timeframe (Patten, Branch, Givens), only excelled in a Patriots uniform.

I picked the most successful WR in the league who also had poor agility scores. They also play the same position, outside the hashes field stretcher. Go back and read the thread.

Nobody said Thornton = Metcalf... nobody. That was you reaching to try and put words in my mouth.
The undrafted David Patten who got his start in the Arena Football League. You went from Metcalf to really lowering the bar. The expectations of the 50th overall pick should be higher than an undrafted Arena player. Patten had his best seasons with the Patriots, which may have had something to do with the quarterback. Just like most of the WRs of that timeframe (Patten, Branch, Givens), only excelled in a Patriots uniform.
Draft status means nothing once a player is in the league, only how they play.

Patten and Thornton play the same position in the same system, so sure... he is an apt comparison. Patten was a good player and did his job to stretch the field for the underneath guys. Learn the game.

David Patten absolutely will make this roster

I picked the most successful WR in the league who also had poor agility scores. They also play the same position, outside the hashes field stretcher. Go back and read the thread.

Nobody said Thornton = Metcalf... nobody. That was you reaching to try and put words in my mouth.
Just laugh at yourself and move on.

DK-Metcalf.jpg

Tyquan-Thornton.webp

But the cone and shuttle numbers are the same.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back