PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Thornton Already Back at Work

Just laugh at yourself and move on.

DK-Metcalf.jpg

Tyquan-Thornton.webp
thornton just need a black visor

More on skipping leg day

And if you don't wants to suffer in silence when you skip leg day alone...

A couple of comments.

PKing in his comments was talking about Adam Theilin who has been a VERY productive WR for the Vikings for many years, going to the Panthers this season at 33. Before we signed JuJu except for his age, I thought he might be a guy we might add. But THIS is what caught my eye when he in this blurb. Theilin barely saw the field on offense for TWO full years, not gaining 200yds in either season before he broke out for over 900 in season 3. It made me think that, you know, very few WR's have impact years right from the get go. MAYBE one or 2 a year out of the dozens that get selected. Remember Edelman was an overnight success 5 years in the making. So there IS a chance we can see Thornton become a very productive receiver for us over the next couple of years.

However that being said. Here is my comment of what I guess was the clip on Thornton's 2022 season that disturbs me.

We drafted the kid because he had some length and ran 4.2 40 with good hands. BUT I defy you to watch that clip again and point one ONE play were he showed any burst or quick twitch acceleration out of his breaks, OR gained any YAC. The most speed I saw on this clip was on his jet sweep TD in his 2nd game. Sorry but I can't get that 7.2 3cone out of my head.

Listen guy like Welker and Edelman were essentially 4.6 guys who were very quick out of their breaks and created separation. Christ one of the quickest guys I ever saw was Barry Sanders. no one could accelerate out of a break and get to full speed faster than him, BUT he was a 4.6 guy. Hell, the best time I could find for Jerry RIce coming out college was a 4.58. So it isn't necessary to have blinding speed to get open. You need to have blinding acceleration. Otherwise just set him out wide and run 9 routes until the DB dies of exhaustion..

SO based on a rookie year when I couldn't find any play where it looked like the DB couldn't keep up with him, showed me another gear, or he broke away from a defender using quickness out of a break, my expectations for Thornton remain low. If he can stay on the field for 15 or so games and gains 4-600 yds I'll be very happy. But as of THIS moment, I don't see any reason to believe that he's the kind of guy who can take the top off the defense or scare anyone week to week. I hope I'm wrong.

One of the biggest issues I saw from 2022 was the horrible routes that Thornton was given. Thornton is best on routes where he's in motion the entire time. He was never a stop/start kinda guy in college. If anyone thinks he was, they're kidding themselves.

Thornton's best routes are GOs, Posts, Corners, Slants, and Crossing Routes. So many of the routes Thornton was given last year had him STOPPING. Such as buttonhooks and comebacks.

You mention about Thornton's 3 cone. What was DK Metcalf's? 7.38 with a 4.5 Short Shuttle. So, let's stop worry about THAT and worry about making sure he's being given routes that work to his strengths.

I’d be disappointed if Thornton catches under 50 passes this year. Especially since they basically replaced Jonnu and Meyers with Gesicki & Smith-Schuster, and didn’t add anyone else. If JJSS is the slot, and I have to believe he is, as Meyer’s replacement, then Parker and Thornton have to be the 2 outside receivers. With Parker’s injury history, Thornton should get a lot of targets.

And since Thornton is the only receiver with ELITE speed on the Pat’s roster, I can see BOB scheming him open with some great play calls.

Bill should've taken Golden Tate with that pick. Germy Cunnyham would've still been available at the Taylor Price pick.

How do you know that Nostradumbass? You've proven to be absolutely clueless despite at least 15 years of being consistently wrong. You'd think you'd learn by now that your BS hindsight doesn't mean anything. It's as worthless as a $3 bill.

Just laugh at yourself and move on.

DK-Metcalf.jpg

Tyquan-Thornton.webp

Oh. It crawlingdummer. Dude. YOU are the one who should laugh at yourself and move on. Your reading comprehension makes 1st graders look like HS Seniors. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Metcalf is 6'3 and 224 lbs. Thornton is 6'2 and 182 lbs.
You should probably educate yourself on what the TYPICAL 3-cone and Short Shuttle is for guys over 6'1.

Metcalf also didn't run under a 4.3 the way Thornton did. Metcalf's 10 yard split was 1.48 compared to 1.41 for Thornton.

1680486365292.png

Oh. It crawlingdummer. Dude. YOU are the one who should laugh at yourself and move on. Your reading comprehension makes 1st graders look like HS Seniors. It's absolutely ridiculous.

You should probably educate yourself on what the TYPICAL 3-cone and Short Shuttle is for guys over 6'1.

Metcalf also didn't run under a 4.3 the way Thornton did. Metcalf's 10 yard split was 1.48 compared to 1.41 for Thornton.

View attachment 50725
Thornton put up big bench #s

View attachment 50725
What is your point exactly? It's clear from the RAS that DK Metcalf blows Tyquan Thornton out of the water, all while having a 40+ lbs of muscle advantage on him at the same time.

In any case it's already a foregone conclusion that Metcalf is the far superior receiver to Thornton given his proven production in the NFL.

The comparison that should be made if any is George Pickens, whom the Patriots passed on to take Twiggy Thornton.

1680487032473.jpeg

The RAS difference isn't as huge as Metcalf vs Thornton, but Pickens vs Thornton still does not paint the draft pick in the best light given the significant advantages in Picken's favor.

I’m not trying to make excuses (ok maybe I am) but it was beyond a miracle the Pats were able to move the ball at all with the debacle that was the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. I’m not saying he gets a Mulligan ( ok maybe I am) but with his collarbone injury as well…that was a tough row to hoe for Thornton.

What is your point exactly? It's clear from the RAS that DK Metcalf blows Tyquan Thornton out of the water, all while having a 40+ lbs of muscle advantage on him at the same time.

In any case it's already a foregone conclusion that Metcalf is the far superior receiver to Thornton given his proven production in the NFL.

The comparison that should be made if any is George Pickens, whom the Patriots passed on to take Twiggy Thornton.

View attachment 50726

The RAS difference isn't as huge as Metcalf vs Thornton, but Pickens vs Thornton still does not paint the draft pick in the best light given the significant advantages in Picken's favor.

You have to remove Thornton's Shuttle and 3cone in order for it to be an Apples to Apples comparison (Pickens most likely skipped the Shuttle and 3cone because he is awful at those drills). After comparing Apples to Apples, you will see that Thornton's RAS is higher than Pickens because Thornton is a more explosive athlete. Look at the 10split and Vertical to see explosion.

What significant advantages are in Pickens' favor? I can only see 1" taller, 14 lbs. heavier, slower and less explosive. What are you seeing?

Bill should've taken Golden Tate with that pick. Germy Cunnyham would've still been available at the Taylor Price pick.
Tate was certainly popular among fans and media.

You have to remove Thornton's Shuttle and 3cone in order for it to be an Apples to Apples comparison (Pickens most likely skipped the Shuttle and 3cone because he is awful at those drills). After comparing Apples to Apples, you will see that Thornton's RAS is higher than Pickens because Thornton is a more explosive athlete. Look at the 10split and Vertical to see explosion.

What significant advantages are in Pickens' favor? I can only see 1" taller, 14 lbs. heavier, slower and less explosive. What are you seeing?
VJC was just looking at the big number and stopped there, why put any effort into something when the big number supports your claim.

View attachment 50725
LMFAO at YOU, son. How's your reading comprehension? FU and your worthless chart. Go watch some film of Metcalf and Thornton in NFL games. Metcalf has been a beast since day one. Thornton looks marginal for the 53-man roster. You're whining about the routes he was given and then admit he can't do half the route tree. That's great. Maybe if BB was drafting for a track meet then Thornton would have made sense but this is the NFL. His puny frame is already a disadvantage and now you want to add predictability to his game. Next time draft any one of the half dozen or so better receivers who were still on the board and we can hopefully avoid another irretrievably limited WR draft pick who frames out in short order. For Christ's sake, George Pickens was sitting right there, Alec Pierce too... both looked great this season despite dealing with very subpar quarterback play.

But really, these Metcalf vs Thornton comparisons are ridiculous. Here's the difference between the two that matters... one is a great NFL WR with still a very promising future and the other looks like a lower depth chart dweller.

LMFAO at YOU, son. How's your reading comprehension? FU and your worthless chart. Go watch some film of Metcalf and Thornton in NFL games. Metcalf has been a beast since day one. Thornton looks marginal for the 53-man roster. You're whining about the routes he was given and then admit he can't do half the route tree. That's great. Maybe if BB was drafting for a track meet then Thornton would have made sense but this is the NFL. His puny frame is already a disadvantage and now you want to add predictability to his game. Next time draft any one of the half dozen or so better receivers who were still on the board and we can hopefully avoid another irretrievably limited WR draft pick who frames out in short order. For Christ's sake, George Pickens was sitting right there, Alec Pierce too... both looked great this season despite dealing with very subpar quarterback play.

But really, these Metcalf vs Thornton comparisons are ridiculous. Here's the difference between the two that matters... one is a great NFL WR with still a very promising future and the other looks like a lower depth chart dweller.
This is the problem with the Patriots WR drafting over the past 20 years.

If there are 4 WR prospects and 3 of them will turn out to be legit NFL starters or even WR1s, odds are we almost always pick the guy who won't be out of those 4.

This neatly sums up the Patriots drafting WR talent:
iu-27.jpeg

Put the BB Kool aid down I was singing Pickens tune all last offseason up to the Draft superior athlete we miscalculated there again. :rolleyes:

This is the problem with the Patriots WR drafting over the past 20 years.

If there are 4 WR prospects and 3 of them will turn out to be legit NFL starters or even WR1s, odds are we almost always pick the guy who won't be out of those 4.

This neatly sums up the Patriots drafting WR talent:
iu-27.jpeg
More accurate would be that if there were 3 of 4 wr that were going to make it we'd draft a DL or OL.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back