PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Thornton Already Back at Work

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Nice little bit from Reiss' column this morning:

Patriots receiver Tyquan Thornton, the 2022 second-round pick from Baylor, was among the players in town last week. It’s early in the offseason, with the official start to the team’s voluntary program not until mid-April, but Thornton (50% of the snaps; 22 catches, 247 yards, 2 TDs) was staying sharp by running routes and fine-tuning his craft. As someone close to him relayed: “He knows how important Year 2 is.”

Obviously, he and Zappe have both been getting after it and we saw video on Mac as well. Regardless of how people feel about certain players, hard not to like the overall mindset so far from the guys this early in the process.

Hope to see Thornton get a little stronger this offseason and I think O'Brien will get him into more favorable match-ups and plays next season to utilize him better also. Guy clearly understands it's a big year. Would love to see him take a step forward, although I think the Patriots will add one piece that will hopefully make it tougher for teams to defend this group as a whole.

I am looking forward to seeing what Thornton can do in a real offense. In the immortal words of Al Davis "You can't teach speed.”

Thornton did look like the towel boy in The Water Boy ... I expect to see him broken in half.

What's sort of interesting is that it already felt like they were molding him in the Deion Branch type of self-preservation - get a ton of yards and then get down. I'm good with him playing like that if the production is there.

What's sort of interesting is that it already felt like they were molding him in the Deion Branch type of self-preservation - get a ton of yards and then get down. I'm good with him playing like that if the production is there.

+1. Why take the hit? Get down or OOB. Leave the hits for the backs and tight ends.

I was watching a random Brady highlight video on Twitter and didn't pay attention to the title of the video. First pass in I'm like who the bleep is 85 they remind me of a bigger Tee Higgens. Second play is 85 again and it hits me, oh crap convict wore 85 before he wore 81. The title of the video was something like there's nothing worse than wasted potential. You forget just how good that guy was. He could have been Kelce had he played longer. At the time I wanted us to draft Kelce because can you imagine Gronk, AH and Kelce in the same offtense? Two of them can block at an average level for a TE and one is all world. So do you go small to cover everyone? Good luck when they start running over you. Go big, mismatch city.

Gronk was a once in a generation player. There have been other Kelce/Hernandez type players. Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates, Sharpe, Clark....Don't get me wrong they're rare too, just not as rare. Really Ditka is the only guy you can compare to Gronk. Find the next Kittle/Kelce. They're out there and you don't need to over-draft a Vernon Davis to get them.

After fixing the OL, I want that. I think Thorton could be a Deion Branch piece but I'm still not sold. Henry is slightly above average piece when used right, like two years ago. Jonnu is Dwayne Allen except Allen never missed a block or assignment. I do think BOB will use Thorton and the TEs more effectively but I still think we need more talent there.

Also I'd love a James Devlin to add to that. I want a team that ran bully the other team when needed but spread it out as well so defense won't be able to just match our groupings so easily. With how bad the OL was having Johnson would have been a major bonus. They shouldn't have let that guy walk. Stevenson made positive plays out of stacked boxes and unblocked defenders who hit him behind the LOS so often.

Lastly, I hope BOB watches Mac's footwork and straigtens that crap out. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw flat footed or without rotating towards the receiver the way he was.

I was watching a random Brady highlight video on Twitter and didn't pay attention to the title of the video. First pass in I'm like who the bleep is 85 they remind me of a bigger Tee Higgens. Second play is 85 again and it hits me, oh crap convict wore 85 before he wore 81. The title of the video was something like there's nothing worse than wasted potential. You forget just how good that guy was. He could have been Kelce had he played longer. At the time I wanted us to draft Kelce because can you imagine Gronk, AH and Kelce in the same offtense? Two of them can block at an average level for a TE and one is all world. So do you go small to cover everyone? Good luck when they start running over you. Go big, mismatch city.

Gronk was a once in a generation player. There have been other Kelce/Hernandez type players. Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates, Sharpe, Clark....Don't get me wrong they're rare too, just not as rare. Really Ditka is the only guy you can compare to Gronk. Find the next Kittle/Kelce. They're out there and you don't need to over-draft a Vernon Davis to get them.

After fixing the OL, I want that. I think Thorton could be a Deion Branch piece but I'm still not sold. Henry is slightly above average piece when used right, like two years ago. Jonnu is Dwayne Allen except Allen never missed a block or assignment. I do think BOB will use Thorton and the TEs more effectively but I still think we need more talent there.

Also I'd love a James Devlin to add to that. I want a team that ran bully the other team when needed but spread it out as well so defense won't be able to just match our groupings so easily. With how bad the OL was having Johnson would have been a major bonus. They shouldn't have let that guy walk. Stevenson made positive plays out of stacked boxes and unblocked defenders who hit him behind the LOS so often.

Lastly, I hope BOB watches Mac's footwork and straigtens that crap out. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw flat footed or without rotating towards the receiver the way he was.
I don't recall really carrying a FB when BoB was here last time. Did he have one on Houston?

I thought Thornton's biggest problems last year were things that are definitely coachable. He just didn't have a feel for the sidelines at all. And he let up on some runs that would have been big gains if he didn't.

Everyone talks about how much Patricia and Judge screwed over Mac Jones in year two, but I wonder if they didn't screw over Thornton even more. He should have been coached up and I am not sure they used him in the best way.

BTW, I think Thornton can used really well in an O'Brien system when they run a lot of rub routes and get the ball to him quick and let him get yards after the catch on some quick slants.

Good to see, I have hopes for a Thornton year 2 jump under BOB. Zappe throwing the passes to him too.

I am looking forward to seeing what Thornton can do in a real offense. In the immortal words of Al Davis "You can't teach speed.”
Bethel Johnson had speed too.

Good to see, I have hopes for a Thornton year 2 jump under BOB. Zappe throwing the passes to him too.

I am sure later in the offseason when Jones gets together with Bourne, Parker, and others that Thornton will be there too.

I am hoping he is doing what Mac is doing and working out a lot too to put a little more muscle on his frame.

I don't recall really carrying a FB when BoB was here last time. Did he have one on Houston?
About 15% snap count for Jay Prosch from 2014-2017. Nobody in 2018. Less than a snap per game average for Gillaspia in 2019 and the first 4 games of 2020 (before O’Brien was fired).

I am sure later in the offseason when Jones gets together with Bourne, Parker, and others that Thornton will be there too.

I am hoping he is doing what Mac is doing and working out a lot too to put a little more muscle on his frame.
Yeah no doubt, on both counts.

Bethel Johnson had speed too.

He also had a crap work ethic, which doesn't seem to be the case with Thornton.
I can't speak for anyone else but I do want to say I personally appreciate the effort you put into sharing a bit of perspective and spreading some sunshine around here.

We can talk about Thornton - and I agree he can serve a bigger role, and I hope they tap his deep threat potential.
But, what has been criminally overlooked and underrated is Meyers. All the hype went to Parker (who I admit showed well in the brief moments he was in there). But, Meyers showed levels of his game last year that we hadn't seen. Meyers could be featured like Hopkins was in HOU.
I'm NOT saying he's equally as talented, but he is the most consistent and smart WR we have. And he clearly has a great bond with Mac.
I hope and expect them to sign him early in the process. He's just entering his prime at 26.
I could easily see him getting 90 / 1000yd / 8TD

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back