PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Thornton Already Back at Work

Hope he makes that Second year WR Jump that hasn't happened for us in very very very very very very long time. I'm sure you'll got the point.

Last edited:
We can talk about Thornton - and I agree he can serve a bigger role, and I hope they tap his deep threat potential.
But, what has been criminally overlooked and underrated is Meyers. All the hype went to Parker (who I admit showed well in the brief moments he was in there). But, Meyers showed levels of his game last year that we hadn't seen. Meyers could be featured like Hopkins was in HOU.
I'm NOT saying he's equally as talented, but he is the most consistent and smart WR we have. And he clearly has a great bond with Mac.
I hope and expect them to sign him early in the process. He's just entering his prime at 26.
I could easily see him getting 90 / 1000yd / 8TD

Meyers is an underrated possession receiver (but maybe not since he is considered the best WR in free agency), but I don't think he is the best fit for the O'Brien offense. Meyers is not a great YAC guy. He struggled with rub routes when McDaniels ran them.

Personally, I would rather replace Meyers with a quick guy who can get open quickly and get YAC. That is what the Pats have been missing since Edelman retired.

We can talk about Thornton - and I agree he can serve a bigger role, and I hope they tap his deep threat potential.
But, what has been criminally overlooked and underrated is Meyers. All the hype went to Parker (who I admit showed well in the brief moments he was in there). But, Meyers showed levels of his game last year that we hadn't seen. Meyers could be featured like Hopkins was in HOU.
I'm NOT saying he's equally as talented, but he is the most consistent and smart WR we have. And he clearly has a great bond with Mac.
I hope and expect them to sign him early in the process. He's just entering his prime at 26.
I like Meyers just not as much as Welker or Edelman he's nowhere as Great as them. He's a little overrated here in Mac's Rookie year in case people forgot Bourne was the more explosive player. Fat Matt messed with Bourne last year so some of us forgot. That said l see plenty Rookie WRs who have a Higher ceiling than Meyers.I hope Meyers go somewhere else and do good but we need much better to compete.

Meyers is an underrated possession receiver (but maybe not since he is considered the best WR in free agency), but I don't think he is the best fit for the O'Brien offense. Meyers is not a great YAC guy. He struggled with rub routes when McDaniels ran them.

Personally, I would rather replace Meyers with a quick guy who can get open quickly and get YAC. That is what the Pats have been missing since Edelman retired.
Great minds think alike Rob my feelings exactly. I think the Patriots let him walk which I'm ok with.

That's what I feel. I feel he would be great like Higgins on a team with bonafide wr 1. Since we don't have one , we tend to undervalue his route running prowess as well as contested catch abilities . You are unlikely to see an interception when ball is thrown Meyers way unless it's batted or a real bad mis throw.

Despite the chaos in offense Meyers had over 800 yards in 14 games with 5 TDs.

If we can get him for 11 or 12 we should try to retain him . 15 or 16 is overkill but I am sure other teams flush with cap can do it . I see falcons to go big on Meyers to get the veteran presence and if they get garopollo or Carr they can be really good in weak NFC south.

I don't think we need to lose Meyers to add the quick slot WR that we've been missing. I think MonTy was going to fill that need before he went on IR week 1. I'm all in favor of hitting that in the draft, or bringing a mid-$ FA in to compete there... (Landry, Hardman, Scotty Miller)
I think Meyers will be open to a sensible deal (not the stupid money everyone's trying to get) ~4/$44 with good gtd protections and incentives.

Hope he makes that Second year WR Jump that hasn't happened for us in very very very very very very long time. I sure you'll got the point.
" I sure you'll got the point"?!
I get your point..but damn,bruh:rofl:

We don’t have another possession guy like Meyers though (maybe Bourne). I hope they re-sign him. With Nelson and Wilkerson gone…I’m hoping Nixon gets more of a chance to play. I think he can be that quick YAC guy. His 3 cone was 6.81…same as Amendola.

Last edited:
We don’t have another possession guy like Meyers though (maybe Bourne). I hope they re-sign him. With Nelson and Wilkerson gone…I’m hoping Nixon gets more of a chance to play. I think he can be that quick YAC guy.
I think between Bourne and Parker, they can fill the role that Meyers is running. But the Pats don't need to pay something like $15 million a year for a possession WR when they need a true #1 and a speedy slot. If they are going to spend what they will have to pay for Meyers, they would be better off spending $5-7 million a year and trade for a difference making WR.

If the Pats can get Meyers for Agholor money, I say keep him. But they won't be able to unless he is willing to take a hometown discount. If they pay him market rate, that means they will go into next year with basically the same receiving corp with Agholor replaced with a rookie or a mid-tier guy and not one receiving weapon that opposing defenses really have to gameplan for. Meyers will be too expensive for the Pats to go out a trade for a Jerry Juedy or another true #1 WR that might come available in a trade.

We don’t have another possession guy like Meyers though (maybe Bourne). I hope they re-sign him. With Nelson and Wilkerson gone…I’m hoping Nixon gets more of a chance to play. I think he can be that quick YAC guy. His 3 cone was 6.81…same as Amendola.

Tre Nixon has been with the Patriots for two seasons and hasn't played a single offensive snap. To expect him to have a significant role next year is a lot to ask. Even Edelman who was converted from QB had 37 receptions his rookie year. To my knowledge, I don't think Nixon has even made it to the active roster at any point yet or been active on game day.

Tre Nixon has been with the Patriots for two seasons and hasn't played a single offensive snap. To expect him to have a significant role next year is a lot to ask. Even Edelman who was converted from QB had 37 receptions his rookie year. To my knowledge, I don't think Nixon has even made it to the active roster at any point yet or been active on game day.
Nowhere did I mention “significant” or even the amount of playing time.

I said I am hoping he gets a chance to play with Nelson and Wilkerson gone. He is quick and I hope he can help in the slot.

Nowhere did I mention “significant” or even the amount of playing time.

I said I am hoping he gets a chance to play with Nelson and Wilkerson gone. He is quick and I hope he can help in the slot.

The O'Brien offense needs a slot receiver who can get YAC on quick slants, screens, etc. They need someone they know they can count on to consistently be that guy and a (not necessarily 'The") primary target of Jones.

Tyquan, these are 2 feet....

1676913182702.png

The heavy white area is a sideline....

1676913274157.png

Keep them apart from each other.

Quiz tomorrow.

I’m excited to see Tyquan in a competent offensive scheme.

Too much is being made of his slender frame, he’s strong and needs to keep getting stronger. That describes nearly 100% of rookies.

I dont like the looks of this.

I believe that the Pats got duped into thinking that they were stealing Toothpick NEW ARTICLE: Given Steelers’ History, Potential Interest in Patriots’ Thornton is Good News

George Pickens 800 yards and 4 TDs in 12 games was just scratching the surface of his potential. I see the Steelers bouncing back and being real good this season and Pickens a huge reason why.
Don't remind me that George Pickens selection selection made the Steelers even move on from another good young WR Chase Claypool. I really hope the Patriots didn't pass on Georgia players because of their experience with Sony and Wynn who wasn't good returns for Georgia First Rounders.

If he makes it through camp unscathed/uninjured, I'll be looking for better things from TT this season... He's got the speed, now its just time to fine tune the route running and timing patterns with Mac...

Thornton did look like the towel boy in The Water Boy ... I expect to see him broken in half.

Lol ... more Ugh's than a Brady commercial.

I see why now - replace "expect" with "expected".

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back