PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' assessment of Pats' FA signings as roster locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would move Harbor up to the Lock category

On what grounds? You feel that confident in the fact that:

1) We'll definitely be keeping 4 tight ends?

2) Not only will we be keeping 4 TEs, but no one will replace Harbor between now and week #1?

Seems like anything but a lock to me. I'd still have him at 60/40 or so, but not necessarily a sure thing.

Reiss' assessment strikes me as overly optimistic for some of these guys, so I'm curious about others' thoughts.

The obligatory ESPN link:
Assessing where all 13 Patriots offseason acquisitions fit

The summary:

SUREFIRE LOCKS
MIDDLE GROUND
LONGER ODDS

It's impressive seeing the full list.

Cooper is not a surefire lock. He needs to get his head screwed on straight and respond to Dante Scarnecchia's demands for perfection. He's got the talent to be good, but hasn't shown the temperament.

Who was the bigger Arizona Cardinals bust, Levi Brown or Jonathan Cooper?

Last edited:
Outside of injury, this team is likely to have

Edelman
Gronk
Bennett

as the top 3 targets, and in that order.

That's certainly possible. But defenses could also go consistently to "pack the middle of the field" kinds of schemes. Edelman and Gronk would still get plenty of production in such cases, but Hogan could easily be top 3 in that scenario.

That's certainly possible. But defenses could also go consistently to "pack the middle of the field" kinds of schemes. Edelman and Gronk would still get plenty of production in such cases, but Hogan could easily be top 3 in that scenario.

Part of me wonders if they will try to ease up on Jule's workload. Last year he was on a pace for 160 or so targets. That's a heavy workload. In 2014 he was in the 130s. In 2013 he was in the 150s.

With DA, Hogan, Bennett and more running attempts they could if they so desired.

I refuse to ignore who I consider the best Pats beat writer just because he works for ESPN... will not do so on the first day of the draft.. but overall his insight is usually spot on..

IMO Michael Williams might be odd man out and Harbor may take his place, then there is AJ Derby??...

True, but I said free agents signings CAN be locks - it depends on the player. Besides Wayne left the team in his own.

Technically, Wayne was released. They don't grant release to everybody who asks for it.

As for somebody being a lock -- how do you know they are? $450K guaranteed money, for example, is not proof.

Part of me wonders if they will try to ease up on Jule's workload. Last year he was on a pace for 160 or so targets. That's a heavy workload. In 2014 he was in the 130s. In 2013 he was in the 150s.

With DA, Hogan, Bennett and more running attempts they could if they so desired.

I think they have multiple angles for easing workloads, including but not limited to:
  • Bennett taking snaps in 1-TE sets.
  • Many guys taking touches from Edelman.
  • Other RBs taking snaps from Lewis.
  • As you say, possibly more running plays as well.

I think they have multiple angles for easing workloads, including but not limited to:
  • Bennett taking snaps in 1-TE sets.
  • Many guys taking touches from Edelman.
  • Other RBs taking snaps from Lewis.
  • As you say, possibly more running plays as well.

Yep. Jules turns 30 in May so it's something to consider. With that said when Welker was 30 & 31 he saw 170+ targets.

I think thats the key thing with the Bennett acquisition. Its not just the 2TE sets that folks should be excited about. I'm certainly not advocating cutting Gronk's workload in 1/2 but having Bennett handle a little bit of the run/pass blocking responsibilities or some routes that are more conducive to contact that Gronk would have handled wouldn't be the dumbest thing in the world. Having Gronk still be a potent pass catching threat in his early 30s wouldn't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back