PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't, nitwit.
Well that’s just wrong.
If you think newton is a good passer from the pocket I don’t know what to tell you. If newton ran like Brady he wouldn’t be a starting qb and would probably be out of the league.

If Jackson comes here, he would have 1-2 years to learn how to truly be a pocket passer.

And if we a Draft a Mike White - Kyle Lauletta or a Luke Faulk they too would have time to better their craft in the pocket.

I think that disses the players who have them.
As if saying newton has skills that no one else has, but Brady has skills that anyone could if they wanted to.
Newton will never be Brady any more than Brady would ever be newton.

Newton could practice and work harder to become more consistent. Brady's work ethic is beyond insane, that is why he is the GOAT.

And if we a Draft a Mike White - Kyle Lauletta or a Luke Faulk they too would have time to better their craft in the pocket.

I think any QB in this draft that does not include Mayfield, Rosen, Allen or Darnold is a 2-3 year project.

I think that disses the players who have them.
As if saying newton has skills that no one else has, but Brady has skills that anyone could if they wanted to.
Newton will never be Brady any more than Brady would ever be newton.
I still remember watching a Redskins game some years ago where Kirk Cousins come in in relief of the injured RGIII for the first time.

I knew the moment I saw them both in action on the same day who was going to have the better career. Cousins was less versatile, but his talent was geared to exactly what was important -- throwing accurate, catchable footballs. RGIII was far more talented but wound up being a jack of all trades who constantly tried to do too much and got hurt as a result. Because Cousins, while less talented, had a talent set that included everything that was important and only excluded everything that wasn't, he went on to have what is so far a very successful career, while RGIII has langished on and off the IR and is now out of the league entirely.

This is part of what is informing my prejudice against speedy, "talented" quarterbacks. I care far more about certain skillsets than others, and a guy like Cousins, Brees or Brady who excel in those areas will succeed even without some of these ancillary talents like footspeed, while players who focus in those areas but can't get the fundamentals down will flash in the pan like RGIII, JaMarcus Russel or Tim Tebow, and then quickly fade.

In short, I view speed in QB about the same as I view speed in a baseball catcher. Yeah, it's a neat trick, and it technically makes you a better player at your position, but if that's your calling card, why are you playing that position?

Newton could practice and work harder to become more consistent. Brady's work ethic is beyond insane, that is why he is the GOAT.
But he has skills that are not just because of work. That’s my point. You sell those skills short when you say anyone could do it with effort.

No, it means I think you're a nitwit.
No it’s means instead of having a cogent intelligent response you gave to resort to insults.
It’s pretty funny the guy who thinks cam newton is a great pocket passer is calling someone who has the right assessment of him names.
How about you stop acting childish now.

No, it means I think you're a nitwit.
I'm not a nitwit, I'm a Simpelton. And Newton's passer performance in the last 2 seasons is nothing to write home about. I think his 2 year average passer rating is in the upper 70s.

Jacoby Brissett was a better passer last year than Cam Newton. Not by a ton, but there it is for what it's worth.

QBR isn't the be all, but it's a pretty good indication that Newton's talents as a passer are wanting.

A
I'm not a nitwit, I'm a Simpelton. And Newton's passer performance in the last 2 seasons is nothing to write home about. I think his 2 year average passer rating is in the upper 70s.

Jacoby Brissett was a better passer last year than Cam Newton.

QBR isn't the be all, but it's a pretty good indication that Newton's talents as a passer are wanting.
as are abysmal comp % and td/isn’t ratios

But he has skills that are not just because of work. That’s my point. You sell those skills short when you say anyone could do it with effort.
Especially when we all know QBs who worked like mad and CAN'T do it.

But, I am not saying that Cam could become as good as Brady at reading defenses and delivering an accurate ball. I am just saying that he could be better than he is right now.

But, I am not saying that Cam could become as good as Brady at reading defenses and delivering an accurate ball. I am just saying that he could be better than he is right now.
Theoretically you could sit in a room and learn to read a defense but the skill is doing it while the bullets are flying.
I’ve never believed accuracy is something you can just fix with practice, again because it happens under stress.
These are high level skills that only a select few people in the planet excel at.
My opinion is it’s not just because they try harder, but I get your opinion too.

Jacoby Brissett was a better passer last year than Cam Newton. Not by a ton, but there it is for what it's worth.

Rating doesn't tell you much. Brissett had a lower yards/attempt, threw for far fewer touchdowns, and took nearly twice as many sacks (one every 10 dropbacks). He also had a top-10 wide receiver in Hilton and a good tight end in Doyle to throw to, while Newton was stuck with Funchess and Byrd. McCaffrey was Newton's safety valve and his yards per attempt have sank from a league high in his MVP season as he's lost his downfield threats (Smith, LaFell, Ginn, etc.)

Newton does throw too many picks, and that hurts his QB rating. He's certainly not Brady as a passer, but that's not a fair comparison either because the number of passers who are Brady's level can be counted on one hand, maybe one finger. But it's worth noting that Cam's only 28 and Brady didn't turn into the all-world QB we know and love until his age 29-30 seasons, either. Note that Brady also had interception percentages around 3% until 2006 or so, as well, when he was a year older than Newton will be this year.

And 2017 Brady wouldn't have been 2017 Brady if he was throwing to the likes of Funchess and Byrd instead of Gronk and Cooks and Amendola, either. Supporting cast matters and, despite the insistence of Andy Johnson, the Panthers' skill position players have been wanting most of his career.

Terrific, we are all in agreement that Lamar Jackson would make an excellent pick.o_O

Last edited:
Rating doesn't tell you much. Brissett had a lower yards/attempt, threw for far fewer touchdowns, and took nearly twice as many sacks (one every 10 dropbacks). He also had a top-10 wide receiver in Hilton and a good tight end in Doyle to throw to, while Newton was stuck with Funchess and Byrd. McCaffrey was Newton's safety valve and his yards per attempt have sank from a league high in his MVP season as he's lost his downfield threats (Smith, LaFell, Ginn, etc.)

Newton does throw too many picks, and that hurts his QB rating. He's certainly not Brady as a passer, but that's not a fair comparison either because the number of passers who are Brady's level can be counted on one hand, maybe one finger. But it's worth noting that Cam's only 28 and Brady didn't turn into the all-world QB we know and love until his age 29-30 seasons, either. Note that Brady also had interception percentages around 3% until 2006 or so, as well, when he was a year older than Newton will be this year.

And 2017 Brady wouldn't have been 2017 Brady if he was throwing to the likes of Funchess and Byrd instead of Gronk and Cooks and Amendola, either. Supporting cast matters and, despite the insistence of Andy Johnson, the Panthers' skill position players have been wanting most of his career.

No ones going to argue that Brissett is better than newton, he’s not. Brissett is who he is, a serviceable backup pushed into the starting role. And he was playing behind the worst OLine in football so that could have something to do with the shorter yards per attempt and number of sacks. As good as T Y is his strength is the deep passes, so of course a bad oline will limit Hilton’s productivity, so he’s a top 10 in terms of talent but doesn’t matter when you can’t cosistently get him the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back