PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport : Jamie Collins extension will eclipse Kuechly's $12.36m avg per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what bothered me about the whole thing.

Not that we traded Collins. I trust the coach that sees him everyday and knows what he is seeing.

I even trust that Belichick got the best value for him he could (barring other considerations like what team he goes to).

But if we don't get a 3rd in 2017 then WHY does it become a 4th in 2018?!

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying but a late 3rd this year should have the value of a late 2nd or an early third next year.
Yeah, I didn't like the way that worked out. The reason, of course, was the remnants of deflategate where we lose our highest #1 so getting the Browns #4 this year (close to the comp #3) would have really been like getting a low #4 (lose high #4, keep Seahawks #4 which we're currently losing). I think the actual answer speaks to the lack of offers we had. I think this was the offer so we took it, warts and all.

Making millions is the opposite of rotting.
I wouldn't pay him as a Patriots fan, but I can't fault him for cashing in.
"Cashing in" isn't how I would exactly phrase it considering how he would've been a multi-millionaire regardless of whether it was here or in Cleveland. It just comes down to greed over legacy. Granted, he is more than likely getting more in Cleveland, but he was handed a golden opportunity to establish himself as a great player in an all-time organization where the sky was the limit. We all have different priorities and his was apparent.

"Cashing in" isn't how I would exactly phrase it considering how he would've been a multi-millionaire regardless of whether it was here or in Cleveland. It just comes down to greed over legacy. Granted, he is more than likely getting more in Cleveland, but he was handed a golden opportunity to establish himself as a great player in an all-time organization where the sky was the limit. We all have different priorities and his was apparent.
Collins is just a different bird. I remember before the '14 Super Bowl, he said something like "I'm looking forward to getting this Super Bowl over and going home". He was a rookie, maybe homesick, etc, etc, but it was just a weird thing to say. I'm certainly not saying he wasn't a hard worker - how would I know - but I do think it's "just a job" for him.

Collins is just a different bird. I remember before the '14 Super Bowl, he said something like "I'm looking forward to getting this Super Bowl over and going home". He was a rookie, maybe homesick, etc, etc, but it was just a weird thing to say. I'm certainly not saying he wasn't a hard worker - how would I know - but I do think it's "just a job" for him.
I don't disagree and maybe being older just gives me the luxury of knowing better, but if Collins REALLY knew how fortunate he was to have been taken by BB and the Pats in the 2nd round when he was drafted. If he was a sponge to all of the knowledge from the coaches and veterans he had around him and knowing how hard it is to win in the league and making the best of his situation. He could be one of the greats.

He's a very good linebacker ... if there's a leader in there we never saw it.

Given what we've been hearing about the freelancing, I don't think we can define him as a very good linebacker with any certainty. Yes, he makes highlight plays which satisfies the fantasy football instant gratification crowd, but if "very good linebacker" is defined as "do your job, well, consistently" then it doesn't satisfy the Patriots' requirements.

He could be one of the greats.

Clearly he doesn't have the mental makeup for it. People can't change their brain type any more than they can their physical make up. You can get your brain "in shape", and shore up some of the weaknesses, but you can't become someone you aren't.

Title change was the fact that La Confora just looked like a complete f**cking moron. Reported that the Ravens and Orr were close to an extension yesterday and it has been reported today that Orr has decided to retire because of injury.

Last edited:
Was he any good for Cleveland at any point?

Pats fans wring their hands sometimes when BB let's players walk or take perceived pennies on the dollar, but the results speak for themselves.

Cleveland would rather overpay than risk losing a "top" player, but does anyone really think the Browns will be better for it?

It is quite obvious that Collins is just in it for the money. Does anyone think he will play harder and smarter now that he has attained his goal?

The average player simple wants to get paid as much as possible before their career is over. If they win that's cool but it's not something they lose sleep over

Who friken cares what the browns do.

Reason #18373 why you're posting here and not repping NFL players.
Ok so you think Hightower feels he is only worth what Cleveland pays Collins?
I guess that's why you are posting here and not repping players.

Waiting to get this Hightower contract is going to blow up in the Patriots face, he has no reason to sign a discounted contract especially if the Patriots win it all again he'll have 2 rings and can go max out his contract elsewhere.

Why has this taken so long?

Linebacker franchise tag is gonna be around 15 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back