PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport : Jamie Collins extension will eclipse Kuechly's $12.36m avg per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too much. At this point he is worth half that. I was willing to talk about paying that much if he finally put together 16 good games and became the player he had the physical potential to be. It just didn't happen and i don't think it ever will.

I liked Collins, but that is stupid money for a guy who is inconsistent like he is. Sure, when he is on, he is one of the best LBs in the league. But he has too many games where he disappears.

Franchise tag, no?
May not be worth it. You probably could fit 2 big contracts into that cap number, due to first year hits being lower.
Collins is traded for a 4th or 3rd and gets 12.3mill+ per year. Hightower should ask for 20.

It seems like the majority of cap increases will turn out to increase the gap between the highest paid players and the middle class of the league.

Keeping Hightower might be a pain in the ass.

Would he really take less than Collins? He just saw his best bud get traded away and sign a massive contract... only to have the Pats likely offer him a bit less, despite being a better and more valuable player.

Keeping Hightower might be a pain in the ass.

Would he really take less than Collins? He just saw his best bud get traded away and sign a massive contract... only to have the Pats likely offer him a bit less, despite being a better and more valuable player.

I'm tellin' ya its 50/50 he signs a long-term deal here. I believe the team has made a genuine effort.

It would not surprise me at all if they franchised him but ONLY if they think hes not going to sulk like Collins.

I always say this, I'll never fault or look down at a man for trying to get the most money he can in his career before retiring. Good for him. Sucks it had to be with the browns though, of all teams.

Collins gets to extend his playing career in Cleveland, doesn't have to play playoff games :)

It is an interesting quirk that many players do take pay cuts for playoff games. Also bye weeks are unpaid so you make more money by playing in every round.

Pats fans wring their hands sometimes when BB let's players walk or take perceived pennies on the dollar, but the results speak for themselves.

Cleveland would rather overpay than risk losing a "top" player, but does anyone really think the Browns will be better for it?

It is quite obvious that Collins is just in it for the money. Does anyone think he will play harder and smarter now that he has attained his goal?

The opposite of successful teams getting discounts because players want to play on those teams is unsuccessful teams paying a premium because players don't want to play on those teams.

IMHO Collins isn't the right player to spend a premium on, but apparently Cleveland feels it needs to make a splash in order to be a seen as a credible destination for high end free agents. They would have been better off throwing the money at Hightower, IMHO. The greatest coach ever made that obvious.

AND he gets January off!

Haven't I heard that somewhere before? :)

I love Hightower'a game but if I paid him 100 million for what he's done in the league until now, I'd feel like I got the short end of the deal. The money he's going to get as a result of Collins deal is a sucker bet.

Last edited:
At least he can get an early start by golfing in January now...

This is why you sign your good players like Hightower and Butler early instead of waiting until the last minute. Now Hightower can walk in and say "let's start at Jamie Collins money".

this is why you don't mess around with guys you want to keep and get deals done earlier rather than later......no need to put Hightower off.......unless they don't want to keep him that much......at some point, you have to pay someone on the defense

Gotta wonder why he didn't wait and test the FA waters. Either the Browns are overpaying him, or his agent didn't think the market would be what they were hoping.

Browns are well under the Cap have $$$$ to burn good business decision for him and his agent. As far as winning that's another story.

Hightower isn't going anywhere.

One year ago we all figured that of Hightower, Collins, Butler, and Chandler Jones we should be able to keep 3 of them, and at worst 2. Now it looks like we might only keep 1. What the hell.

One year ago we all figured that of Hightower, Collins, Butler, and Chandler Jones we should be able to keep 3 of them, and at worst 2. Now it looks like we might only keep 1. What the hell.

One??? The one better be Malcolm Butler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back