PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Teams Will Structure 4 year contracts with 2022-2025 caps in mind

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
And some will choose to ignore future caps, trading currents assets for future value.

For example, caps of 3/$60M each year for a top 10 corner is unlikely to be over-reaches in 2023, 2024 and 2025. However, many think that contact with $20M per year for those 3 years and a minimum salary plus a reasonable bonus is a HUGE overreach.

Will the patriots pay $17M a year for CB, for a WR, or for no one? No one is most likely.

The only other top CBs are Carlton Davis and Gilly. Davis probably gets tagged by the Bucs. Gilly ain't walking through that door. None of the others is worth that much.

Same goes for WRs. Some will get tagged by their teams. Others will be too expensive or not worth $17M. So, I guess no one.

The only other top CBs are Carlton Davis and Gilly. Davis probably gets tagged by the Bucs. Gilly ain't walking through that door. None of the others is worth that much.

Same goes for WRs. Some will get tagged by their teams. Others will be too expensive or not worth $17M. So, I guess no one.
Gilmore is not a top corner any longer

And some will choose to ignore future caps, trading currents assets for future value.

For example, caps of 3/$60M each year for a top 10 corner is unlikely to be over-reaches in 2023, 2024 and 2025. However, many think that contact with $20M per year for those 3 years and a minimum salary plus a reasonable bonus is a HUGE overreach.

Will the patriots pay $17M a year for CB, for a WR, or for no one? No one is most likely.
It depends upon the player and the cap space they have available after maneuvering. Right now with 9 mill available they won’t sign anyone of note, but once we see how much is freed up that will change.

The only other top CBs are Carlton Davis and Gilly. Davis probably gets tagged by the Bucs.
How could Davis get tagged, but not JC Jackson? Davis sucks.

It depends upon the player and the cap space they have available after maneuvering. Right now with 9 mill available they won’t sign anyone of note, but once we see how much is freed up that will change.
We will free up money when there is a deal that Belichick wants to make. As has been detail many times, $17M of restructures can be made at any time, without any input from the players whose contract is being adjusted (since his compensation is not being affected).

We will free up money when there is a deal that Belichick wants to make. As has been detail many times, $17M of restructures can be made at any time, without any input from the players whose contract is being adjusted (since his compensation is not being affected).
But there are consequences to doing that.
And to really be heavy in free agency they need to free up more than 17 mill.

I think Cincy's defense is the wave of the future. A lot of talent up front, drubs in the D-backfield. Play zone. If you can't get to the QB, you'll get cooked. But if you can get to the QB, you'll get in his head.

We've seen Burrow, Stafford, Mahomes, get badly bothered by the front 7 in successive Super Bowls. The Patriots did the same to Jared Goff.

People say Josh Allen is the future, such a stud, but watching him this year, he turtles when he's under severe pressure. Most QBs do. Although some don't. For instance, I saw the Raiders harass and hammer Herbert, and the kid stuck in there showing guts none of these other QBs showed in tough situations.

Belichick has actually spent some capital shoring up the front 7 but it hasn't showed up yet.

Uche, Winovich, Barmore, Judon, Perkins, Jennings, Godchaux.

This is not nothing... I think Belichick knows we need to pressure from the OLB/DE and DT positions.

How could Davis get tagged, but not JC Jackson? Davis sucks.

Bb loves having that one lockdown press man starting corner!

My guess is he gave jackson a chance this year to prove he was that “lockdown guy”. But sometime after the saints game and before the Tampa game, we started to change the defense to be less press man and more zone.

I think bb goes out of his way to pay top producing lockdown corners, but he does not see Jackson as anything more than a zone #2 corner and those are not worth 17 million a year.

Bb usually has a plan to replace #1 corners that leave. I think we need to wait and see his plan.

But there are consequences to doing that.
And to really be heavy in free agency they need to free up more than 17 mill.
I strongly agree.

This approach is generally not Belichick's style.

In any case, we can free up much additional cap money through extensions.

you think the bucs are going to tag carlton davis over chris godwin?

*scratches head*

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back