PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Greg Schiano likely to join Pats in “top defensive role”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it that Schiano who had Revis in his prime at $16Mill I think playing zone?? If he's the same Schiano I hope we pass.:rolleyes:

Was it that Schiano who had Revis in his prime at $16Mill I think playing zone?? If he's the same Schiano I hope we pass.:rolleyes:
Eww I do remember that.
Also Talib underperformed in Tampa.
Someone quick visit Belichick while he's sleeping and say have Daly and Boyer share the responsibility.
And whisper it over and over again.
If anyone has access to his vehicle and can preload a mix that says Daly and Boyer on a continuous Loop with a melodic harmony.
Or better yet ask Bin Jovi to visit him and sing Boyer Daly or Daly Boyer Do not want to see Gilmore and Jackson wasting their talents on Zone.

Many coaches, mediots and fans have gone crazy over the years trying to figure out what's going on in the mind of BB.

FWIW, I doubt that Coach would be bringing in Schiano, a guy whom he really respects and who has a strong football history (including with his own son), for just a season.

I think BB is going to give him a lot of responsibility and a big role in Roster evaluation and the Draft in the short term.

As for the long term...trying to figure out what Belichick is planning or how he might be thinking is a fool's errand. But, nothing would surprise me.

Many coaches, mediots and fans have gone crazy over the years trying to figure out what's going on in the mind of BB.

FWIW, I doubt that Coach would be bringing in Schiano, a guy whom he really respects and who has a strong football history (including with his own son), for just a season.

I think BB is going to give him a lot of responsibility and a big role in Roster evaluation and the Draft in the short term.

As for the long term...trying to figure out what Belichick is planning or how he might be thinking is a fool's errand. But, nothing would surprise me.

Doesn't BB have an older Son who should be somewhat ready??

Is BB being hired as a first year coach today?

And his first gig wasn't a huge success (even though he wasn't at fault).

Please show me even ONE current head coach with an " offensive " background who's as successful as BB?
You say offense is what wins games, so if that's true, you should have plenty of examples to back up your statement.

Revis was coming off his injury. He wasn't yet ready to once again be a straight-up man CB going up against the opponent's best on every snap.

Does Greg Schiano possess Cat like quickness?
Not sure about that but he definitely looks like he can rush the passer, even on kneeldowns :eek::p

Doesn't BB have an older Son who should be somewhat ready??
To be a DC? I don't know. Only BB can say for sure.

With that hair and hat he looks like Chris Griffin from Family Guy

To be a DC? I don't know. Only BB can say for sure.

With that hair and hat he looks like Chris Griffin from Family Guy

rob I didn't mean Cousin It Steve.:D Wow he's older than the Scout Brian Belichick.

rob I didn't mean Cousin It Steve.:D Wow he's older than the Scout Brian Belichick.
No idea what you just said. Stephen B. is the secondary coach AKA Chris Griffin. He is older than Brian

No idea what you just said. Stephen B. is the secondary coach AKA Chris Griffin. He is older than Brian

I know what you meant rob: I thought Steve was the younger I would have never guessed he was the older of the Two.

I know what you meant rob: I thought Steve was the younger I would have never guessed he was the older of the Two.
Ah ok.

Based on his tenure in Tampa, I don't like it. F*kin MIA, taking Flores is worse than the stupid miracle.

Revis was coming off his injury. He wasn't yet ready to once again be a straight-up man CB going up against the opponent's best on every snap.
On top of that, when he did join the Patriots in 2014, while he played man coverage it was no longer against the opponent's best. He generally took the opponent's 2nd guy while Ryan/Browner/Arrington (depending on time of the year and matchup) took the best guy with help from McCourty. It's not an unusual strategy as Belichick's done that with Butler and Gilmore thereafter, but 1) there have been games where Gilmore covered the #1 guy while Revis never did that here, and 2) that's still a far cry from the Revis Island days when Revis did cover the #1 guy.

Please show me even ONE current head coach with an " offensive " background who's as successful as BB?
You say offense is what wins games, so if that's true, you should have plenty of examples to back up your statement.

If you are a BB talent, it does not matter which side of the ball you come from. Agreed. But if you are a breaking in new coach today, I say you have a better chance if you are on the offensive side of the ball because you are, on average, more comfortable working with the QB and that position essentially determines final standing position. Proof is the division winners are mostly teams with the best QB's for the year.
This has been a developing situation because scoring, yards, everything continues to trend up.
BB began his coaching career in a different era and he is only one example. He began when the cliche "defenses win championships" was relevant. Again BB would be a success in any era. Are you saying Flores is him?
Watching the last few playoffs, it has seemed "whomever gets the ball last" is more apt than "defenses wins championships." if that's the case and everything else is equal, why wouldn't you want someone on the offensive side of the ball?

One of the reasons that TB is so successful is that that defensive minded coach mentored him to learn what defenses were trying to do to him.

I think success depends on the GUY and not so much whether his last position was OC or DC. On average, a younger guy will fail more often. On average. Lottery tickets don't pay out either. Doesn't stop folks from hiring inexperience or buying tickets.

If you are a BB talent, it does not matter which side of the ball you come from. Agreed. But if you are a breaking in new coach today, I say you have a better chance if you are on the offensive side of the ball because you are, on average, more comfortable working with the QB and that position essentially determines final standing position. Proof is the division winners are mostly teams with the best QB's for the year.
This has been a developing situation because scoring, yards, everything continues to trend up.
BB began his coaching career in a different era and he is only one example. He began when the cliche "defenses win championships" was relevant. Again BB would be a success in any era. Are you saying Flores is him?
Watching the last few playoffs, it has seemed "whomever gets the ball last" is more apt than "defenses wins championships." if that's the case and everything else is equal, why wouldn't you want someone on the offensive side of the ball?

The skill set required to be a good HC is very different than what is needed as a Coordinator.
I'm not taking issue with you saying " offensive" guy alone. I would have the same issue if you said "defensive" guy.
Ideally, a new HC would have experience with BOTH O and D. But there's a lot more to it than that.
It also takes more coaching skill on defense, since most rules favor the O's.
Defense is just as important as offense. That hasn't changed. Also, many hcs, including BB, who had defensive backgrounds have become great offensive coaches. There's no one formula for a great HC.
What you DON'T want to do is limit yourself and possibly miss out on hiring a great HC by saying " I want an offensive guy" or " I want a defensive guy". Great hcs come from many different backgrounds.

Not a huge fan of the hiring.

FWIW, I really liked Flores and his play-calling this season. I felt he showed more aggression than Patricia and had a knack for calling the right play at the right time (especially a blitz). The defense had more of an edge to them and seemed to dictate play/assert themselves rather than read-and-react (again, all relative to Patricia's defenses).

As a result of all that, they generated more turnovers this season than they did any season from 2014-2017 under Patricia, and by a notable margin.

2014: 25 turnovers generated
2015: 21 turnovers generated
2016: 23 turnovers generated
2017: 18 turnovers generated
2018: 28 turnovers generated

Not sold on Schiano. Part of me kind of hoped Todd Bowles might get a look here. His defenses always seemed similar to Flores' defense this season: aggressive and capable of creating turnovers, yet simultaneously disciplined and well coached. For what little it's worth, Belichick always seemed to speak highly of Bowles, and anecdotally I noticed Belichick gave Bowles more than the cursory handshake post-game; generally Belichick would chat for a few moments in what I assume was him communicating respect for Bowles and his team (seemed different than his handshakes with Rex Ryan, for instance). I would've looked at Bowles first but ultimately I'm not managing the team.

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of the hiring.

FWIW, I really liked Flores and his play-calling this season. I felt he showed more aggression than Patricia and had a knack for calling the right play at the right time (especially a blitz). The defense had more of an edge to them and seemed to dictate play/assert themselves rather than read-and-react (again, all relative to Patricia's defenses).

As a result of all that, they generated more turnovers this season than they did any season from 2014-2017 under Patricia, and by a notable margin.

2014: 25 turnovers generated
2015: 21 turnovers generated
2016: 23 turnovers generated
2017: 18 turnovers generated
2018: 28 turnovers generated

Not sold on Schiano. Part of me kind of hoped Todd Bowles might get a look here. His defenses always seemed similar to Flores' defense this season: aggressive and capable of creating turnovers, yet simultaneously disciplined and well coached. For what little it's worth, Belichick always seemed to speak highly of Bowles, and anecdotally I noticed Belichick gave Bowles more than the cursory handshake post-game; generally Belichick would chat for a few moments in what I assume was him communicating respect for Bowles and his team (seemed different than his handshakes with Rex Ryan, for instance). I would've looked at Bowles first but ultimately I'm not managing the team.
Bowles got snapped up quick and I dont think they could speak with him til Flores was actually gone.
Not sure thougj

Bowles got snapped up quick and I dont think they could speak with him til Flores was actually gone.
Not sure thougj

Ah, I wasn't aware he was already with Tampa.

Suppose it's hard to evaluate a coaching candidate who isn't actually available. Hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back