PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Greg Schiano likely to join Pats in “top defensive role”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works for me on multiple levels. Thanks to his stay at Ohio he has more current insight into college players than anyone but some of the scouts maybe and he is a total BB disciple.

Win / Win

That would be a surprise. BB usually promotes from within. Does he have some kind of connection to Schiano or is this a slight change in philosophy?

Edit: I finally see how it makes sense! He's a Rutgers guy!

Rutger HC from 2001-2011

That would be a surprise. BB usually promotes from within. Does he have some kind of connection to Schiano or is this a slight change in philosophy?
Hes a FoBB (friend of BB) used to coach Rutgers and his son.

Its still a BB defense. I'm fine with it.

Oh well... it's still Belichick's defense.
I respectfully disagree, Schiano completely rebuilt the Rutgers program and got their ranking up all the way to #6 in the country (even if it was for just 1 week). That team was primarily built around the defense and Schoano is known as a defensive guru. You can see for yourself how far and fast that program dropped after Schiano left.

Plus there is the added bonus of having 3 Rutgers DBs already on the team.

nnbql.jpg

Personally thought it would of been Daly, but I suppose it depends on what Bill thinks. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a one year deal sort of thing

Edit: I finally see how it makes sense! He's a Rutgers guy!

Rutger HC from 2001-2011
Right -- specifically the head coach from Rutgers when Steve Belichick was there, plus the head coach of a lot of the Patriots current Rutgers crew.

The time is finally right to bring in Schiano!!!

He needs to meet with the front six defensive coaches, scouts and draft folk. They all need to be on the same page in choosing who to re-sign, who to pursue in free agency and how to evaluate the potential draft choices.
========
Someone else can focus on receivers.

I respectfully disagree, Schiano completely rebuilt the Rutgers program and got their ranking up all the way to #6 in the country (even if it was for just 1 week). That team was primarily built around the defense and Schoano is known as a defensive guru. You can see for yourself how far and fast that program dropped after Schiano left.

Plus there is the added bonus of having 3 Rutgers DBs already on the team.

Schiano runs a primarily zone-based scheme. Variations of Cover-2 Zone (reminiscent of the Tampa-2 in ways) and Cover-3. I'm not a fan. His appointment doesn't seem to make much sense due to the Patriots being such a man-heavy defense in the last couple of seasons, and especially this season. But, like I said, it will still be Belichick's scheme in the end.

Schiano runs a primarily zone-based scheme. Variations of Cover-2 Zone (reminiscent of the Tampa-2 in ways) and Cover-3. I'm not a fan. His appointment doesn't seem to make much sense due to the Patriots being such a man-heavy defense in the last couple of seasons, and especially this season. But, like I said, it will still be Belichick's scheme in the end.
We still don't know exactly what his role will be yet. It could be the Dom Capers "defensive assistant" role from 2008 where he really provides general guidance and advice but someone else actually takes on the typical DC duties (if not actually named DC).

Of course the Capers situation didn't work out great, but the secondary that year left a lot to be desired, particularly after Rodney got hurt.

Personally thought it would of been Daly, but I suppose it depends on what Bill thinks. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a one year deal sort of thing
I think it likely could still be. Flores was never named DC and Bielma was brought in. I hear Bielma could be following Flores. So this could be a similar pairing Daly & Schiano with no named DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down