PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Greg Schiano likely to join Pats in “top defensive role”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely, we will use a 6th to draft a Rutgers defensive back to compete with Obi Wann.

Its never about ranks, promotions w BB . bringing on board elite veteran D mind should benefit everybody in the room and that's what BB is all about. The role, the titles - that will play itself out.

Apart from a few oldtimers - this will likely be a very young team next year esp. on D so another strong vet coaching presence coming from top college program will be more than welcome: Wise, Rivers, Butler, Keionta, Kamalu, Harris, Bentley, Sam, Munson, JC Jackson, Dawson, Crossen.. + 12 draft picks and UDFAs in historical D Draft.

Just hope they don't settle for Dre'Mont Jones. Or reach for Haskins..
If they have to go OSU then maybe Sheffield.. if he falls .. young CB core is the deepest unit on the roster though..

Last edited:
Hiring Schianno does NOT mean that he's the presumptive DC. His role can be a lot of different things. But here's the thing, first and foremost he's a good football coach. So having him on the staff, regardless of the position, will be a positive.

Second, those who think that just because he's favored zones in the past doesn't mean that all of a sudden we will go away from what we've seen this year. Bill was a predominantly zone guy for most of his years as a DC. But the fact is that our secondary personnel is better suited for man coverages, so that isn't going to change, regardless of who ends up being the DC.

The fact is that due to all the rules that favor the offense, zone defenses are harder and harder to run on a consistent basis. Everyone is looking for DB's who can play man.

Still can't get over Flores landing a gig so early. Flores making such a jump gotta be some serious internal Intel regarding him. Are we letting one slip away??

Schiano runs a primarily zone-based scheme. Variations of Cover-2 Zone (reminiscent of the Tampa-2 in ways) and Cover-3. I'm not a fan. His appointment doesn't seem to make much sense due to the Patriots being such a man-heavy defense in the last couple of seasons, and especially this season. But, like I said, it will still be Belichick's scheme in the end.

Like you said he would be running BBs scheme. But BB must respect Schiano's work on fundamentals and attention to details otherwise Rutgers would have not become a farm for us.

Unless he proves to be utterly incapable of running BBs scheme or we suddenly go back to zone I am not particularly concerned with who is doing the day-to-day coaching as gameplans and schemes were always in the hand of BB even when Patricia was here or with Flores this year.

The extent of how much everyone had to introduce their own elements we can only guess about. But I would not be surprised if that is mostly just the actual calls and mixing it up on gameday (which BB again has also control over).

In short I kinda believe that the main skill any DC here has to possess is being able to teach the fundamentals and techniques on a high level. Most of the other stuff goes through BBs brain anyhow.

I don’t blame Flores I blame the Dolphins.
Seriously Flores has as good a chance as anyone to turn into a great HC. It’s the man not the resume. But what he doesn’t have is experience and most importantly experience at being in charge.
So while he has as good a chance as any unknown, it really seems Miami should hedge their bet by choosing someone the “have more film on”

We still don't know exactly what his role will be yet. It could be the Dom Capers "defensive assistant" role from 2008 where he really provides general guidance and advice but someone else actually takes on the typical DC duties (if not actually named DC).

Of course the Capers situation didn't work out great, but the secondary that year left a lot to be desired, particularly after Rodney got hurt.

Fair enough.

Didn't we have this discussion last offseason? I feel like we did.

I'm probably one of those that doesn't want Schiano here. There is a difference between being friends with someone and having to work with someone 12-16 hours / day. Schiano always struck me as the guy who felt he needed to be the boss. *Shrug* Only time will tell.

Schiano runs a primarily zone-based scheme. Variations of Cover-2 Zone (reminiscent of the Tampa-2 in ways) and Cover-3. I'm not a fan. His appointment doesn't seem to make much sense due to the Patriots being such a man-heavy defense in the last couple of seasons, and especially this season. But, like I said, it will still be Belichick's scheme in the end.

On the flip side, he helped develop Ward and Lattimore into top level man to man corners. I like what he does in the secondary (look at our Rutgers guys). Conley is pretty good, too, and Sheffield has promise. I wouldn't mind his influence.

That said, the reports sound like speculation to me among personnel folk at the Senior Bowl. "Oh, hey, you know what would make sense? If Schiano went to the Pats." *Nods all around*

That would be a surprise. BB usually promotes from within. Does he have some kind of connection to Schiano or is this a slight change in philosophy?

Rutger HC from 2001-2011

Might be running out of guys to promote at this point. :-\ I've read that he maintains the smallest coaching staff in the NFL to start with. And maybe his sons need more experience.

I don't know that what he ran with a bunch of 3-4 year rental of inexperienced ex-HS youth players in part time status is indicative of what he would gameplan with vets and adults at a full time job to work with.

BB might be doing a friend a favor to get him reemployed and an entry into NFL level coaching too. Regardless Schiano is one of those college guys he really respects, so that bodes well for a good addition in whatever role (DC, D-Advisor, D-QC coach) he may get officially titled with.

[All this is assuming Flores definetly leaves. I'm still wondering how far behind on off-season planning Miami will be by waiting for SB to finish. I think they were hoping Pats lose and he would be there already. So they could still have a choice 1B that they close on this week.]

That would be a surprise. BB usually promotes from within. Does he have some kind of connection to Schiano or is this a slight change in philosophy?

Edit: I finally see how it makes sense! He's a Rutgers guy!

Rutger HC from 2001-2011

Belichick usually promotes from within, but with his top defensive guys getting head coaching jobs in back to back years I think the coaching talent pipeline is a bit depleted on that side. Can't groom NFL-caliber coordinators at a quick enough pace to beat that kind of attrition.

My basic assumption--which could be way off, but I feel comfortable making it--is that Belichick really didn't expect Flores to get a HC job so quickly. The guy hasn't even officially been a coordinator yet, his resume is objectively lacking for an NFL head coach, purely by virtue of how young he is. To have expected that he would be here at least a few years is a totally reasonable assumption. But then Sean McVay happened, and now everyone's trying to find the next young phenom coach.

We still don't know exactly what his role will be yet. It could be the Dom Capers "defensive assistant" role from 2008 where he really provides general guidance and advice but someone else actually takes on the typical DC duties (if not actually named DC).

This is what went through my mind as well. He'll be here a couple of years and then move on to a lead job of some kind.

I think the plan is always preferred to be to promote from within. But Flores left after one year, in which he wasn't even officially the DC. I don't think they had time to groom the "next guy" in this circumstance. So you either roll the dice with Daly or BeliJunior and hope it's not rushing them, or you bring in a veteran to handle the operational side of things and give the younger coaches another year to show what they can do.

Does Greg Schiano possess Cat like quickness?

Holy ****, I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate going back to a zone heavy defense any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST