PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Greg Schiano likely to join Pats in “top defensive role”

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is that with all the experience McDaniels has, he is in a position to take a lot of the offensive responsibilities off BB's plate.

That would enable BB to focus more on the defense.

The good news is that with all the experience McDaniels has, he is in a position to take a lot of the offensive responsibilities off BB's plate.

That would enable BB to focus more on the defense.
But that's not ideal. We just had 2 coaches in Patricia in Flores who seemed like they were able to control the defense without a significant amount of help. Why bring in a guy like Schiano whose defense was hot garbage this last year, prefers a zone defense over a man heavy one, and will force Belichick to devote more of his time towards the defense than he did this year? I'm always interested in bringing former NFL head coaches onto our staff, but I'm not a big fan of this hire.

I was just thinking the other day that when Flores leaves, what are the chances Schiano comes here, since he didn't get the OSU head job?

Kinda lukewarm to him as DC but may be ok if he’s never promoted to HC. Awful 2 year stint in Tampa with a 11-21 record.

I think it likely could still be. Flores was never named DC and Bielma was brought in. I hear Bielma could be following Flores. So this could be a similar pairing Daly & Schiano with no named DC.
This makes the most sense.
Since Belirma l
I think McD basically runs the offense with Tom Brady.
Mcdaniels is the heir he has to be.
What job is going to come available to make him leave?
Dallas with jerry jones hell no.
Only job I see two if he wants to replace Obrein if that be

Flores just has to survive in Miami till Brady retires. Easier said than done, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up doing a McDaniels.

I still think it was a travesty he didn't get the Tennessee (Volunteers) gig last year due to fan outrage. They did alright without him though. I know 5-7 (2-6 in conference) is nothing to sneeze at but I think he could've done better. $20 says there will fan outrage if Pruitt isn't fired after the upcoming season. Maybe even after spring practices.

I still think it was a travesty he didn't get the Tennessee (Volunteers) gig last year due to fan outrage. They did alright without him though. I know 5-7 (2-6 in conference) is nothing to sneeze at but I think he could've done better. $20 says there will fan outrage if Pruitt isn't fired after the upcoming season. Maybe even after spring practices.

that's right, why the outrage? i forget...but i think it was some sort of scandal no?

that's right, why the outrage? i forget...but i think it was some sort of scandal no?
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Schiano supposedly knowing about the Sandusky abuse at Penn State.

Seriously Flores has as good a chance as anyone to turn into a great HC. It’s the man not the resume. But what he doesn’t have is experience and most importantly experience at being in charge.
So while he has as good a chance as any unknown, it really seems Miami should hedge their bet by choosing someone the “have more film on”

Flores is a good man, but IMO with everything else equal, a good candidate from the offensive side has a better chance today. It's just what wins games.

Flores is a good man, but IMO with everything else equal, a good candidate from the offensive side has a better chance today. It's just what wins games.

Sup Family is Ryan you know who all healed up for 2019??:cool::D

Schiano runs a primarily zone-based scheme. Variations of Cover-2 Zone (reminiscent of the Tampa-2 in ways) and Cover-3. I'm not a fan. His appointment doesn't seem to make much sense due to the Patriots being such a man-heavy defense in the last couple of seasons, and especially this season. But, like I said, it will still be Belichick's scheme in the end.

You have to be able to field a defense that can play zone and man to man. You need that flexibility for our matchup defense. Greg is smart enough to teach m2m.

Bill Belichick says " what's up?"

No. It’s what fans and fantasy people like.
Defense is harder because of the rule changes.
When offense is easy the guy who puts together a good defense wins.
That says being a hc isn’t about which side of the ball you coached as a coordinator.
The ones who are glorified coordinators rarely win.

Holy ****, I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate going back to a zone heavy defense any more.

Gilmore's presence means that they'll still be primarily a man team.

Is anyone really surprised by this report? The connection has been obvious from the start.

Is BB being hired as a first year coach today?

And his first gig wasn't a huge success (even though he wasn't at fault).

So "Family", are you disagreeing that the most successful HC right now and in nfl history is not from a defensive background? Please enlighten me. If you can. But you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes