PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapaport: Greg Schiano likely to join Pats in “top defensive role”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots secondary plays more man than any team in the NFL.
If Schiano is hired as DC, that is NOT going to change. I know his background is zone. Doesn't matter.
Patriots are highly successful in man. That gives your D an advantage.
You coach based on your personnel.
If he wasn't capable of adapting, BB wouldn't hire him.

Based on his tenure in Tampa, I don't like it. F*kin MIA, taking Flores is worse than the stupid miracle.

Do we really know that it is huge loss? I’m not saying that I am happy that he is moving on, because I would have been much happier if he planned to return next year as the DC. By all accounts he is bright, hard-working and the defensive players really seem to love playing for him. Continuing and familiarity are important. We don’t know how the players will respond to his replacement, particularly if it is not a promotion from within.

Having said that, the defensive improvements this year.....significant scheme changes, game plans....and in-game adjustments are likely driven by BB, more so this year than in recent years. Flores may not have very much autonomy at all. He doesn’t seem to have the experience at this point in his career to be the HC of the MD but I agree that it is difficult for him to pass up the opportunity. Even if he fails, he and his family are set for life financially and he can transition to being a DC or, at worst, a position coach down the road.

With BB still in charge of the operation, I think that Schiano’s (or whoever ends up as the DC) scheme history will be less important than whether the players like him, respect him and play hard for him.

Do we really know that it is huge loss? I’m not saying that I am happy that he is moving on, because I would have been much happier if he planned to return next year as the DC. By all accounts he is bright, hard-working and the defensive players really seem to love playing for him. Continuing and familiarity are important. We don’t know how the players will respond to his replacement, particularly if it is not a promotion from within.

Having said that, the defensive improvements this year.....significant scheme changes, game plans....and in-game adjustments are likely driven by BB, more so this year than in recent years. Flores may not have very much autonomy at all. He doesn’t seem to have the experience at this point in his career to be the HC of the MD but I agree that it is difficult for him to pass up the opportunity. Even if he fails, he and his family are set for life financially and he can transition to being a DC or, at worst, a position coach down the road.

With BB still in charge of the operation, I think that Schiano’s (or whoever ends up as the DC) scheme history will be less important than whether the players like him, respect him and play hard for him.
That's probably all true but honestly we will never know. That place is like a crypt. I can't wait for someone to write a book on the inner workings of that organization, it's like a secret society. You actually hear very little even from ex players. Like they all went thru some sort of ritual. :D

Hate losing Flores, and I think he is making a mistake going to Miami, but I like the idea of Schiano replacing him.

There were reports in the days after last year’s Super Bowl that Greg Schiano was going to replace Matt Patricia. One of those reports came from a well respected college football website as I recall. It didn’t happen of course and Flores got the unofficial promotion.

At the time, there were reports that Flores was a favorite of Bob Kraft. I suspect that’s why Flores got the job rather than Schiano. My guess is Belichick is not all that unhappy Flores is leaving and is glad he’s going to get his guy this year.

Schiano is a good hire and will do a good job with the defense. Plus, he’s pretty much radioactive because of the testimony that he should have known what Jerry Sandusky was doing when he was an assistant at Penn State, so it’s not likely he’ll be leaving anytime soon to take a head coaching job either in college or the NFL.

This is Bill Belichick’s defense anyway and will be as long as he’s coaching.

I'm still shocked that Miami has offered the HC job to Flores.
I'm not he's been with the Pats forever front office and different coaching positons.
Greir wants the Patriots way.
I hope we don't lose Daly and Oshea.
It's bad enough we are losing Biliema.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Schiano supposedly knowing about the Sandusky abuse at Penn State.

I just googled it and I cannot overstate how upsetting this is to me.

Has Schiano ever disputed this? Explained his lack of action? If he walked into someone's office white as a ghost after watching Sandusky messing with a kid and all he did was tell another coach I am not sure how to deal with that.

I'm still shocked that Miami has offered the HC job to Flores.
I think he will be a decent head coach ... above that who knows. He will go
there and be Tom Flores (not a Belichick clone) which is probably why they like him.

We still don't know exactly what his role will be yet. It could be the Dom Capers "defensive assistant" role from 2008 where he really provides general guidance and advice but someone else actually takes on the typical DC duties (if not actually named DC).
I will go to my grave believing the Capers hire was Kraft hedging against Goodell going (more) batshit crazy and suspending Belichick as part of the Walsh "walkthrough tapes" investigation.

Flores has been fairly quiet this season as far as talking to the media in press conferences etc. Since the rumors emerged about his HC offer with Miami, I don’t think he has said a thing.

It will be interesting to see how he and the organization handle the SuperBowl media circus with regards to Flores plans.

I'm not he's been with the Pats forever front office and different coaching positons.
Greir wants the Patriots way.
I hope we don't lose Daly and Oshea.
It's bad enough we are losing Biliema.

Where is Bielema going? Haven’t read anything about a new job and found nothing on a quick google searce.

Hate losing Flores, and I think he is making a mistake going to Miami, but I like the idea of Schiano replacing him.
I honestly don’t know what to think about the idea of hiring Schiano. Normally, I wouldn’t have minded it, but they ran him out of Columbus with pitchforks. That fanbase freaked out about him all season long.

Obviously, college football is a different beast, and Schiano’s rapport with Bill and the McCourtys could prove to be beneficial. If anything, there could be an even more disciplined approach, if that’s actually possible.

There were reports in the days after last year’s Super Bowl that Greg Schiano was going to replace Matt Patricia. One of those reports came from a well respected college football website as I recall. It didn’t happen of course and Flores got the unofficial promotion.

At the time, there were reports that Flores was a favorite of Bob Kraft. I suspect that’s why Flores got the job rather than Schiano. My guess is Belichick is not all that unhappy Flores is leaving and is glad he’s going to get his guy this year.

Schiano is a good hire and will do a good job with the defense. Plus, he’s pretty much radioactive because of the testimony that he should have known what Jerry Sandusky was doing when he was an assistant at Penn State, so it’s not likely he’ll be leaving anytime soon to take a head coaching job either in college or the NFL.

This is Bill Belichick’s defense anyway and will be as long as he’s coaching.
Damn. Cheap skate Kraft shipped out the future in Garoppollo, forced us to keep that bum Brady, kept McDaniels last minute, and forced BB to hold on to Flores?? Could someone out there please find Bill’s balls because it sounds like he’s being bullied!!

Many coaches, mediots and fans have gone crazy over the years trying to figure out what's going on in the mind of BB.

FWIW, I doubt that Coach would be bringing in Schiano, a guy whom he really respects and who has a strong football history (including with his own son), for just a season.

I think BB is going to give him a lot of responsibility and a big role in Roster evaluation and the Draft in the short term.

As for the long term...trying to figure out what Belichick is planning or how he might be thinking is a fool's errand. But, nothing would surprise me.

Yeah, I'm amused by the many people who don't actually have any idea what's going on in the minds of ANY of these people just assuming that the most effective coach in the history of the game, who knows these people personally and has undoubtedly spent endless hours talking football with them is somehow being fooled and not getting what he actually wants when he hires one of them.

Or Schiano just preferred Ohio State’s counteroffer (a raise from $700k to $1.5 million) and turned down the Patriots job.

Schiano is probably best as a dB coach.

Could mean Boyer is next up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back