PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Day Schedule

PJ Hall anyone?

Sam Houston State

About twenty teams are on hand for SHSU pro day including defensive line coaches from the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers. The school’s top prospect, defensive tackle P. J. Hall, has not disappointed those who made the trip and seems like a man on a mission.

Hall, who was dominant for three days of Shrine practice, measured 6004/308 pounds. He touched an impressive 38 inches in the vertical jump, reached 9-feet-8-inches in the broad jump and completed 36 reps on the bench.

His first forty time clocked under 4.8s (4.76s on a few watches) into the wind while his second attempt, with the wind, was under 4.7s (4.68s on a few watches).

Pro Day March 26: Sam Houston State & Northern Iowa | Draft Analyst

For a 308lb Guy, those are some impressive numbers.

Patriots are confirmed to have scouts on hand for Arkansas pro day. Check out this excerpt about Ragnow. Great numbers from a big, rugged dude:

Ragnow

• Ragnow performed very well in most of the drills. His vertical (33’6″) and broad (9’7″) were personal bests. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.98 seconds. The only area he underperformed was on the bench press where he get 27 reps at 225 pounds. He said 36 is his personal best.

What to know from the Arkansas Razorbacks' 2018 Pro Day

@BaconGrundleCandy We were just discussing this guy. Looks fast and explosive!

Pro Day – Iowa | Draft Analyst

LB Bo Bower - Iowa Pro Day Results
6015, 236 lbs
4.57 forty
3.97 shuttle
6.90 three cone
34.5" vertical
9'6" broad jump
19 bench reps

Blair Sanderson : "LB Bo Bower - Iowa Pro Day Results…" - Tweet

Exceptional shuttle for a linebacker. Will have to go back over the tape, but I don't really remember 41. 44 stood out to me quite a few times while watching Jewell.

Full list of numbers. Some of these seem pretty suspect. Jewell and Jackson both improved by .15 seconds on their 40s? Hmm . . .

HawkeyeReport.com - Iowa Pro Day Results

Exceptional shuttle for a linebacker. Will have to go back over the tape, but I don't really remember 41. 44 stood out to me quite a few times while watching Jewell.

Full list of numbers. Some of these seem pretty suspect. Jewell and Jackson both improved by .15 seconds on their 40s? Hmm . . .

HawkeyeReport.com - Iowa Pro Day Results

Yeah, I agree there's something funny about those numbers....but maybe his times were up to snuff since we pulled him aside for specific drills.

That’s a very Patrioty vertical jump.

I thought that might catch your eye. Recommend watching his games. Versatile player who can play all three interior spots. Big, strong frame. Surprisingly nimble at times.

I thought that might catch your eye. Recommend watching his games. Versatile player who can play all three interior spots. Big, strong frame. Surprisingly nimble at times.

And from Arkansas - the Rutgers of the south.

And from Arkansas - the Rutgers of the south.

Out of curiosity, where do you see him fitting on the 2018 team?

- riding the bench as a swing interior guy in 2018 then taking over for Shaq after 2018 given the contracts high quality guards have gotten this offseason?

- replacing Andrews even though he got a new contract last year and played very well in 2017 it appeared?

- playing LG and pushing Thuney to the bench, even though he had a very good postseason after hitting a bit of a wall mid-season?

- playing LG with Thuney moved to part of the solution at tackle (either LT or Cannon moved to LT with Thuney at RT) despite arm length concerns and Scar's rookie year comment on him being an emergency tackle only?

Just curious.... not denying his talent, but it seems like interior line (adding Karras to the group) might be the deepest and most talented area on the squad already (what a difference two off-seasons make, it was the biggest weakness after the 2015 season).

Option 1 seems most likely to me but I wouldn't expect the Patriots to select an interior lineman at 31 or 43 (some sites rank him as borderline round 1) to spend 2018 on the bench. Other positions, yes, but not guard or center.

I guess we can put visits here as well.
Not that too many visits turn into Pats draft picks (although they do turn Pats later on more often) still good to see Kirk on the list - as expected.

Last year 4 visitors ended on Pats rookie class: Garcia, Rivers, Killings, Augusta

I guess we can put visits here as well.
Not that too many visits turn into Pats draft picks (although they do turn Pats later on more often) still good to see Kirk on the list - as expected.

Last year 4 visitors ended on Pats rookie class: Garcia, Rivers, Killings, Augusta

I haven't kept my meeting thread up to date very well. :)

Patriots draft meetings

Out of curiosity, where do you see him fitting on the 2018 team?

- riding the bench as a swing interior guy in 2018 then taking over for Shaq after 2018 given the contracts high quality guards have gotten this offseason?

- replacing Andrews even though he got a new contract last year and played very well in 2017 it appeared?

- playing LG and pushing Thuney to the bench, even though he had a very good postseason after hitting a bit of a wall mid-season?

- playing LG with Thuney moved to part of the solution at tackle (either LT or Cannon moved to LT with Thuney at RT) despite arm length concerns and Scar's rookie year comment on him being an emergency tackle only?

Just curious.... not denying his talent, but it seems like interior line (adding Karras to the group) might be the deepest and most talented area on the squad already (what a difference two off-seasons make, it was the biggest weakness after the 2015 season).

Option 1 seems most likely to me but I wouldn't expect the Patriots to select an interior lineman at 31 or 43 (some sites rank him as borderline round 1) to spend 2018 on the bench. Other positions, yes, but not guard or center.

Don't think Ragnow is going that early. Most likely he would be available at 95, and there's a chance he could still be there in the 4th, as well. Price and Daniels seem locked in as the first two centers taken, and the positional average is only 2 centers for the first 100 picks. At guard there's Nelson, Wynn, Hernandez as 1st round guys (even Hernandez is borderline), and then some mix of Corbett, Smith, and Teller, depending on how you rank them. Again, that's right at about the positional average for the first 100 picks (usually 6 taken each year). It's tough to project a guy coming off injury to break into the lineup. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he made it into the mid rounds.

As for his fit with the team, I think he'd be able to take the Karras role. I like Karras, but Ragnow seems like a potentially better player. Karras went unclaimed last year, and could stay on the PS in case of injury. When I look at the contracts OL are receiving in FA, I'm not sure I want to keep Mason, and I'm a huge fan of Mason. Andrews is also a very solid center, but he's criminally underpaid. I don't know if he would be willing to take such a low salary again when he's due for an extension in two years.

I'm not strongly considering IOL this year, but next year I definitely believe it's a priority. Too many contracts will be up for extension among our FAs next year.

Last edited:
Texas pro day is today. I imagine with their fast track, Jefferson has a chance to put on a real show if he wants to run again. He's the perfect example of a player who has been overanalyzed and unfairly devalued; in the right scheme, I think he's better than Edmunds or Evans. His closing speed is right up there with Roquan Smith, and his career stats are better (Smith had a breakout year this year). Smith diagnoses more quickly, but Jefferson isn't as bad as the talking heads have suggested. He's bigger and may have more scheme versatility. Obviously I don't think Jefferson is a better linebacker than Smith, but I do think it's strange that Smith is a consensus top ten pick (top seven based on the last average I saw of multiple big boards), while Jefferson is a fringe 2nd rounder (64 on the same consensus board).

I'm starting to strongly consider Jefferson in that 43 - 63 range. I went back over his tape again from this year, and he's pretty disciplined and makes a lot of nice reads and strong tackles. His closing speed is extremely impressive against run and pass.

B.B. will be at the Miami pro day today.

The Pats sure seem interested in defensive linemen. I don’t know if they mean edge or interior in this case.

Just seen that Miami DT’s Kendrick Norton’s player comp is Vincent Valentine.

Last edited:

The Pats sure seem interested in defensive linemen. I don’t know if they mean edge or interior in this case.

Just seen that Miami DT’s Kendrick Norton’s player comp is Vincent Valentine.

His tape is pretty fun. Not quite as big as Valentine, but he's a really violent player. Thomas is also intriguing off the edge, although he didn't run or jump well. Still, he is a similar player to Wise, and he plays like a Patriots style big DE (although he's not as threatening of a pass rusher as I'd like to add).

In the Miami Pro Day live thread, it was said that BB was coaching up DE Chad Thomas.

I haven't seen any of his tape, but he has interesting an scouting report about his athletic physical traits and potential versatility.

2018 NFL Draft Profile: CHAD THOMAS

This post is pretty redundant since reamer covered it above...and for myself not paying attention while trying to multitask.:)

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back