PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Day Schedule

Springs has pretty solid tape. Didn't expect this kind of 40 time. Pro days should be taken with a grain of salt, but sub 4.4 is still a great time. I'm not sure it always translates to tape, but he's at least fast enough to warrant interest in the 7th/UDFA.

Springs has pretty solid tape. Didn't expect this kind of 40 time. Pro days should be taken with a grain of salt, but sub 4.4 is still a great time. I'm not sure it always translates to tape, but he's at least fast enough to warrant interest in the 7th/UDFA.

Belay that. More formal numbers seem to put him in the 4.47 range, which is probably closer to mid 4.5s at the Combine. Plus his agility and explosion numbers are nothing special. I like his size and sturdy play on tape, but this pretty much confirms for me that a move to safety would be in his best interests.

"We're picking 31st so no chance we'll see you." Ahaha. Too bad, too bad.

I don’t see a huge difference between Woodside and Lauretta.

Cool tidbit from the pro day earlier:

Q: What did you and coach Belichick talk about?

Doeren: They're asking details about guys and how they practice and what type of person is he and his family. It's just like when we go into a high school. You want to get all the background you can get on somebody and know what you're really getting. So just asking those kind of questions, you know. And growth we've seen and how they've handled adversity.

Some of it is just talking about people that we both know. Their D-line coach and I were college teammates -- Brendan Daly -- who is also here today. So it was just kind of fun seeing him. And getting to meet coach Belichick and hearing how he looks at things.Obviously, he's done a great job evaluating, so it's interesting to hear how he kind of looks at these type of events and what he's looking for.

NC State Pro Day 2018: Doeren talks NFL Draft, Bill Belichick, Bradley Chubb, Pride in 2017 seniors

We might not be done at DT if Daly and B.B. were there. There’s three other guys to Chubb that we might have been interested in.

Yeah, that's probably a good bet. Jones and Hill had really good Senior Bowl practices. They won almost every single rep. In game I'm not sure they were as explosive, but they stood out in an incredibly positive way as interior rushers during drills. Kentavius Street is a Trey Flowers clone with an extra 20 pounds, as far as I'm concerned. He didn't run well at the Combine, but he had a hamstring issue and was still faster than Flowers. Reportedly he's been timed in the 4.5/4.6 range otherwise. He's a very fluid athlete with experience in a two-point stance and dropping into coverage, but also reducing down to rush against the guards in 3rd and long. Perfect fit for our multiple fronts and responsibilities.

Last edited:
Campbell is one of my favorite sleepers at CB. Long frame with some skills. Needs probably another season of coaching before he could become a starter, but the potential is there. This man can jump out of the building.

Nyheim Hines dropped his 3-cone from a 7.18 at the combine.

I read an interesting quote earlier from some players who said that agility drills are often the last thing done after the day of drills, and that they felt like their legs were dead. It's a long week of medical testing, interviews, physical exertion, etc, and it's tough to get optimum results for some guys. They said that although 40s might not be as accurate due to hand timing, it's not at all a surprise when the other numbers improve, and that's probably legitimate.

Anyway. Hines is pretty explosive. I don't think .3 seconds changes anything for me.

I read an interesting quote earlier from some players who said that agility drills are often the last thing done after the day of drills, and that they felt like their legs were dead. It's a long week of medical testing, interviews, physical exertion, etc, and it's tough to get optimum results for some guys. They said that although 40s might not be as accurate due to hand timing, it's not at all a surprise when the other numbers improve, and that's probably legitimate.

Anyway. Hines is pretty explosive. I don't think .3 seconds changes anything for me.

7.18 was outside the usual range for Pats drafted RBs. James White was a bit of an outlier at 7.08.

7.18 was outside the usual range for Pats drafted RBs. James White was a bit of an outlier at 7.08.

I'm always curious what they consider the cutoff. We have to reverse engineer it based on draft trends. I'd love to attend a scouting camp some day.

I'm always curious what they consider the cutoff. We have to reverse engineer it based on draft trends. I'd love to attend a scouting camp some day.

I’ve always considered 7.00 or under. Blount, Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Burkhead all qualify. White and Gillislee were just over. BJGE & Hill were the only ones in the last decade that got nowhere near. Maybe 7.10 would be more appropriate.

Having trouble finding details about Skai Moore's pro day, but apparently he came in at 230, and also improved on his pedestrian 4.73 time from the Combine.

Bill met this D2 player, as well as with three of the SC players.

Apparently we've had some contact with Devante Downs of Cal. He's still recovering from a knee injury, so he couldn't run, but he benched at pro day. Great size, and looks pretty fluid on film. He only played 7 games, but check out his production in that short time:

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound senior has set the defense’s alignment while racking up 65 tackles, four quarterback hurries, three sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

Fun highlights from Vyncint Smith. Moss-lite at that level of competition. Obviously he wouldn't project the same way in the NFL, but he has the raw tools to compete at least.

Smith, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound wide receiver who played collegiately at Limestone, also had a 39.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-10 broad jump, both bests from the day.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back