PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Day Schedule

I think the Draft Analyst site updated after my post, because I am really excited to see this line in particular from the current pro day report:

As you may know from my other posts, I'm a huge fan of Nelson and Jamerson. Nelson showed up well, as I expected, in his agility tests: 3.89s in the short shuttle and 6.70s in the 3 cone.

Cichy put up good numbers too I believe (don’t know anything about him apart from that).

Cichy put up good numbers too I believe (don’t know anything about him apart from that).

He's not bad. A little small and slow in my opinion, but there's some skill to work with there. Honestly, I like the fullback better, though. Ramesh always had good games when I watched them play. I don't think we're looking to replace Devlin, but Ramesh is a good athlete who can catch well, and also blocks solidly.

Nelson is pretty close to binky territory for me, though. C'mon, Caserio! :)

He's not bad. A little small and slow in my opinion, but there's some skill to work with there. Honestly, I like the fullback better, though. Ramesh always had good games when I watched them play. I don't think we're looking to replace Devlin, but Ramesh is a good athlete who can catch well, and also blocks solidly.

Nelson is pretty close to binky territory for me, though. C'mon, Caserio! :)

I’ll bow to your judgement on Nelson. Wasn’t keen on his Zierlein scouting report (too handsy, too many penalties).

I’ll bow to your judgement on Nelson. Wasn’t keen on his Zierlein scouting report (too handsy, too many penalties).

Ehhh, that's a fair characteristic. Sometimes he does get too physical. Counterpoint: so do most corners. Watch Gilmore down the field. He gets away with a lot. Everything else is good with Nelson. He's not the tallest or fastest, but he's always in a good spot, always patient, always aware of the ball. He's extremely quick, and actually pretty well built at 200 pounds. He's bigger, stronger, quicker, and faster than Logan Ryan, who I think is a pretty good comp. While he didn't have interception production, which has called into question his ball skills, Nelson led the nation in passes defended. Could do a lot worse in the 3rd/4th.

Ballage with the 4.41 at pro day. Impressive for a guy his size. He could be a good receiving back. While his production never matched his talent, he could flourish in a system like ours. Maybe if his vision improves, he could also run inside given his sturdy frame.

Ballage with the 4.41 at pro day. Impressive for a guy his size. He could be a good receiving back. While his production never matched his talent, he could flourish in a system like ours. Maybe if his vision improves, he could also run inside given his sturdy frame.

I’m a fan but am worried that he never got to take a full time role at Az. Still, you don’t get that many RBs of his size that can run 4.41 and can Marshawn Lynch a defense.

I think Ballage is a simple eval but offers a ton of upside of the right team. Head on straight he could be a difference maker.
Straight line runner, doesn't offer much shake. Like Reamer said vision isnt the best.

He would kill shell routes, slants etc Be a great change of pace/xfactor type.

From Tony Pauline on Ballage:

The big story out of ASU pro-day is Kalen Ballage and what some are calling the best pro day workout they’ve ever witnessed from a running back. Ballage timed as fast as 4.35s in the forty while a few watches had him in the low 4.4s. He hit 37 inches in the vertical jump, a vast improvement from his mark of 32.5 inches at the combine.

Ballage was sensational during position drills and really stood out catching the ball. He looked explosive in and out of breaks and showed natural hands.

Pro Day March 14: Arizona State, Oklahoma, Nebraska & More | Draft Analyst

Ballage’s 3-cone is fine at 6.91 and although his shuttle is quite high at 4.35, it’s not out of touch with some other RBs. Vereen was 4.28, Ridley was 4.21, Bolden was 4.32 and White was 4.20. The shuttle for a RB Does not seem to be that high a priority. And Ballage is bigger than all of them.

I saw an interesting comparison for Ballage in Le’veon Bell. Clearly he almost certainly won’t be that good but they are similar in terms of build and functionality.

This makes a little more sense for Washington. He looks far more explosive on the field than he did in testing. Regardless of what the numbers say, he's going to be a good receiver for some team. I'm not sure we need his services (more of a vertical threat), but he's a tough guy with great production. I think he exceeds his draft status.

I think Ballage is a simple eval but offers a ton of upside of the right team. Head on straight he could be a difference maker.
Straight line runner, doesn't offer much shake. Like Reamer said vision isnt the best.

He would kill shell routes, slants etc Be a great change of pace/xfactor type.

He reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Except he runs lower to the ground. I think there was a run against UCLA where he literally dragged 4-5 defenders into the end zone. Impressive stuff.

He reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Except he runs lower to the ground. I think there was a run against UCLA where he literally dragged 4-5 defenders into the end zone. Impressive stuff.

Have to wait on the contract details, but I think we can probably rule out Ballage with the Hill signing.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back