PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice, Injury Updates, Pressers, Transactions (Week 2) [Hightower, Amendola OUT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that I understand the point with regard to Mitchell.

Belichick regularly takes chances on players with a college injury history. Some are huge bargains (Gronk), some contribute some (at low cost for their first contract) and some fail (as do most draft choices.

Mitchell is a patriot. Should we cut him? Of course not! We have him under contract at a reasonable level, given how much he is expected to contribute. He is paid as a #5 WR. Mitchell is being paid "bottom of roster" pay. He is certainly worth this money, even if he is healthy for only part of the season. Salaries for 2017, 2018 and 2109: $540K, $630K and $720K.

I'm not sure that I understand the point with regard to Mitchell.

Belichick regularly takes chances on players with a college injury history. Some are huge bargains (Gronk), some contribute some (at low cost for their first contract) and some fail (as do most draft choices.

Mitchell is a patriot. Should we cut him? Of course not! We have him under contract at a reasonable level, given how much he is expected to contribute. He is paid as a #5 WR. Mitchell is being paid "bottom of roster" pay. He is certainly worth this money, even if he is healthy for only part of the season. Salaries for 2017, 2018 and 2109: $540K, $630K and $720K.

@AtomicDawg posted a video of MM in the Training camp thread and he looked great but IIRC he didn't practice the next day so I thought it was precautionary. Then he got rolled up on in the preseason. Anyways I'm in the camp that thinks or hopes he'll return after week 8.

He's had one injury so far that's caused him to miss significant time as a pro. I don't say that to suggest that it's a good thing, more to state that the idea that he's proven himself notably unreliable in the Amendola sense isn't reasonable or justified, at least yet.

He's been an injury guy for his entire "career". Also, this is his second different injury in the two seasons as a member of the Patriots (elbow dislocation last year, which would have resulted in more "significant time" missed if it hadn't happened in early August rather than during the regular season), not his first. In college, he had hamstring issues and knee issues, including needing to have an ACL surgery.

I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he can settle in as a reliable part of the team, but I also think the team needs to look at him as unreliable and in need of replacing, until and unless he demonstrates otherwise. It's nothing personal. it's just that the injury situation with Edelman and Amendola, especially after this year, dictates that the other Patriots WRs be guys that can be counted on to suit up.

God save Patrick Chung.

1vzz9s.jpg

Reiss reports HT sought second opinion about knee from Dr. Andrews.
When Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower injured his right knee in the season opener but remained on the sideline the rest of the game -- at one point riding a stationary bike -- it was generally viewed as a sign that the injury wasn’t severe and might not even keep him out one week. Since that time, I’m told that Hightower sought a second opinion over the last week from Dr. James Andrews. When I saw Hightower a few days ago, he didn’t confirm plans to visit Andrews, but he also didn’t deny it, only saying with a smile, “I’m OK.” That Hightower was believed to be seeking more clarity on the injury days after the opener was notable to me based on the initial optimism. This is the same knee that led to him beginning training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Reaction from Dussault:
Hightower’s knees and shoulders are a problem every season and the fact that the Pats basically kept him on ice all summer and then, in his first game of the season he hurts the same knee they were trying to protect is maddening. Unfortunately I just don’t think we can plan on relying on Hightower this season. When he’s able to go it will be great and hopefully the Patriots can cobble together quality linebacking without him that can get us to the postseason, but it’s shaping up that 2017 will be in big part about learning to win without him.
I can’t stop wondering how one year ago we had maybe the best young linebacker core in the league and now here we are leaning on Van Noy.
Patriots Pregame Meal - PatsPropaganda

Last edited:
I expect one of the RBs finishing the game leading in passing yards and also another one with big numbers. White and Lewis/Buckhead in for a big game.

Will Hollister be active today. They said during training camp that he was a good receiver and comparable to a former TE who will not be mentioned in ability

Will Hollister be active today. They said during training camp that he was a good receiver and comparable to a former TE who will not be mentioned in ability

If you're talking about the player I think you're talking about, who said that?

Reiss reports HT sought second opinion about knee from Dr. Andrews.

Reaction from Dussault:
Patriots Pregame Meal - PatsPropaganda

Hightower getting a second opinion is definitely not good news. This tells me the injury is more than what the team initially reported as a MCL sprain, IRRC. I would not be surprised to see him miss the next game and possibly more.

If you're talking about the player I think you're talking about, who said that?
It was mentioned on one of the Pre- season broadcasts. I don't recall who said it

It was mentioned on one of the Pre- season broadcasts. I don't recall who said it

Ahhh, that makes sense.

If that's where you heard it, you should disregard.

Hightower getting a second opinion is definitely not good news. This tells me the injury is more than what the team initially reported as a MCL sprain, IRRC. I would not be surprised to see him miss the next game and possibly more.

His getting a second opinion doesn't necessarily mean that. Among other things, we don't actually know what Andrews found other than Hightower responding with a smile "I'm good." For all we know, he sought a second opinion for all the same complaints posters here mentioned.

"My knee isn't right, you told me to rest, ice, and strengthen it all summer and I did that. Then I can't even make it through my first game without it coming up again. And you're telling me that it's just minor, and more rest and ice will make it better??? That didn't work the first time, I want to make sure you're right this time and didn't miss anything, I don't want this to happen again in two weeks."

His getting a second opinion doesn't necessarily mean that. Among other things, we don't actually know what Andrews found other than Hightower responding with a smile "I'm good." For all we know, he sought a second opinion for all the same complaints posters here mentioned.

"My knee isn't right, you told me to rest, ice, and strengthen it all summer and I did that. Then I can't even make it through my first game without it coming up again. And you're telling me that it's just minor, and more rest and ice will make it better??? That didn't work the first time, I want to make sure you're right this time and didn't miss anything, I don't want this to happen again in two weeks."

We can only hope so, but then again that would be a breach of trust between Hightower and the Pats organization which would be even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes