PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one of the few folks on here after last year’s super bowl saying the Pats were pushed around by the Eagles on both sides of the ball but was met with a lot of Malcolm Butler talk :rolleyes:
Agree.

The inability to stop the run was THE reason they lost the game.

I do think this particular team is not very good vs the run but over the last few games they are playing a ton of dime defenses and basically begging team to run.

Last edited:
Would you like your Purple Heart now or later?

I did not say it was natural and I did not say his knee collapsed.
I said his follow through created how he ended the throw and that his knee looks like a good explanation.
Throwing a football creates torque in the upper body and a transfer of weight from right to left with a right handed thrower.
The throw had plenty of zip and at the point of the release it was fine. You are crying about the follow through which had zero effect in the throw.

LMAO Brady hitting the deck had zero to do with follow through. That wasn't a 50 yard bomb. If he had to create that much torque on that throw, we have more to be worried about on the offensive side of the ball.

Agree.

I do think this particular team is not very good vs the run but over the last few games they are playing a ton of dime defenses and basically begging team to run.

It was clear that Bill was deathly afraid of Shuster-Smith and Brown, so much so that he conceded the run. He even called those guys “elite elite.”

It was clear that Bill was deathly afraid of Shuster-Smith and Brown, so much so that he conceded the run. He even called those guys “elite elite.”
I don't disagree with him. Gilly and Jackson plus the others who helped out did a very good job.

The problem is this D can't stop the run with a 4 or 5 man front. Too many 3rd and shorts.

And it was a great game plan. Held them to 17 points including only 3 points in the final 3 quarters. If not for drops and penalties on offense (not to mention an egregious bad pi call that contributed to 7 of Pitts points) they win this game.

Agree.

If memory serves, the Eagles rarely ran the ball in the 2nd half and a big bulk of their rush yards came in two long runs by Ajayi and Blount. They weren’t dominated on the ground. The Patriots lost the game defensively because they were unable to stop the Eagles on 3rd down mostly because the Eagles exploited the matchups of a strong safety trying to cover a wide receiver and a 190 free safety being abused by a 6’5” 250 Pro Bowl TE.

If memory serves, the Eagles rarely ran the ball in the 2nd half and a big bulk of their rush yards came in two long runs by Ajayi and Blount. They weren’t dominated on the ground. The Patriots lost the game defensively because they were unable to stop the Eagles on 3rd down mostly because the Eagles exploited the matchups of a strong safety trying to cover a wide receiver and a 190 free safety being abused by a 6’5” 250 Pro Bowl TE.
It wasn't the gamebreaking runs. It was what the runs provided them.

In the 3rd qtr the Iggles ran 5 times for 5 times for 36 yards. 3 runs went for 1st downs, one was 2nd n 5 and a 3rd n 1 which led to a 1st down

In the 4th quarter they ran 7 for 14 yards. Pats pretty much stacked the box as Philly was trying to milk the clock.

Chatham's take, FWIW...

You guys are forgetting the 2007 9-7 Giants had Michael Strahan and Umenyiora on defense along with Plaxico Buress and Amani Toomer, on offense.

It’s not the fact that they are extreme over the top homers that bothers most of us, that’s totally understandable; but rather the fact that they simply don’t know how to have a reasonable debate with the ability to shake hands and move forward when all is said and done. They have no desire to keep things light, have fun, share knowledge, etc.

They are here to try and “win” arguments, many of which they manufacture themselves by resorting to name calling (“I didn’t say you were stupid, ‘huckleberry,’ I said what you said was stupid”), breaking down a hundred individual sentences like we’re in some type of debate class rather than just agreeing/disagreeing with the general point, and refusing to move on when it’s obvious that someone else has a different viewpoint. It’s mainly just the fact that the tone of the exchange goes to a dark place.

For awhile, I was actually convinced they were the same person with two different accounts, but over time it became apparent that one comes in much hotter in an attacking type of style, whereas the other is just more argumentative in general. It sucks.
Dabruinz will harass you with PM's.

So first of all a hat tip to @supafly who apparently caught it off the TV copy that the Steelers were properly doubling Gronk. I still wanna point out that this has not been the case that much in the past few games if you look at the A22.

Either way I am actually wondering if Edelman and Gronk are doubled so regularly. Why don't we use better spaced concepts that give Gordon a chance in 1v1 coverage. In this case Gronks and Gordons route combination kinda prevented Brady from even attempting the pass. But generally speaking if those two are doubled Brady still has a choice between Gordon and White.

You'd think that by now they'd have come up with a couple better drawn up plays that take advantage of whoever gets doubled. Am I thinking about this in too simplistic terms ?

I did not say it was natural and I did not say his knee collapsed.
I said his follow through created how he ended the throw and that his knee looks like a good explanation.

4AD4A239-4EB9-421D-A9A8-E2C69273476A.jpeg Do you just forget some of the things you write because it is hard to keep up with all of the garbage that you spew or do you intentionally lie, despite evidence to the contrary, hoping that no one will call you on it?

You absolutely did say that his knee collapsed, only two pages ago. Reminds me of one of the Dave Chapelle skits with Rick James.

“What am I gonna do, just jump up and grind my feet on somebody’s couch? I have a little more sense than that”
“Yeah, I remember grinding my feet in Eddie’s couch”

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

So first of all a hat tip to @supafly who apparently caught it off the TV copy that the Steelers were properly doubling Gronk. I still wanna point out that this has not been the case that much in the past few games if you look at the A22.

Either way I am actually wondering if Edelman and Gronk are doubled so regularly. Why don't we use better spaced concepts that give Gordon a chance in 1v1 coverage. In this case Gronks and Gordons route combination kinda prevented Brady from even attempting the pass. But generally speaking if those two are doubled Brady still has a choice between Gordon and White.

You'd think that by now they'd have come up with a couple better drawn up plays that take advantage of whoever gets doubled. Am I thinking about this in too simplistic terms ?

Your point about Gronk lacking explosiveness and not lining up outside as often was just as valid, luuked.

In terms of your last paragraph, I was wondering the exact same thing, and it would stand to reason that someone would be open, or at the very least, have a better matchup. Did we ever figure out why White wasn’t a bigger part of the gameplan? I would assume that he would have the upper hand in just about every matchup, and we know that they weren’t using a CB on him if Gronk and Jules (and even Gordon, to a lesser extent) were getting doubled.

View attachment 21940 Do you just forget some of the things you write because it is hard to keep up with all of the garbage that you spew or do you intentionally lie, despite evidence to the contrary, hoping that no one will call you on it?
Show me where I said the knee COLLAPSED. I didn’t.

You absolutely did say that his knee collapsed, only two pages ago. Reminds me of one of the Dave Chapelle skits with Rick James.
No I did not. Can you read? Not supporting the shift of weight so he goes down AFTER COMPLETING THE THROW is not Collapsing.
It’s telling that to make your argument you have to pretend I said something I did not.

“What am I gonna do, just jump up and grind my feet on somebody’s couch? I have a little more sense than that”
“Yeah, I remember grinding my feet in Eddie’s couch”

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Yeah that’s a great argument you have there.
Is Brady scared of comedians too?

Your point about Gronk lacking explosiveness and not lining up outside as often was just as valid, luuked.

In terms of your last paragraph, I was wondering the exact same thing, and it would stand to reason that someone would be open, or at the very least, have a better matchup. Did we ever figure out why White wasn’t a bigger part of the gameplan? I would assume that he would have the upper hand in just about every matchup, and we know that they weren’t using a CB on him if Gronk and Jules (and even Gordon, to a lesser extent) were getting doubled.
It’s kind of hard to wring your hands over what was wrong with the passing game plan and the structure of what they did when I can remember at least 5 blatant right on the money drops which would have made Brady 30/36 for over 300 yards.
And that’s including the last 3 throws from the 21 with 30 seconds left and no timeouts after the penalty and no choice but to force it to the end zone.
So he was 25/33 with 5 awful drops that would have made him 30/33 and people are blaming Brady. I don’t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes