Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If they're still on the board at 32, what do you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really don’t want to see it with 32 unless we traded back in after already getting a DT. Just think there is more value in other positions. Especially if its not one of the two Iowa TE’s. Like Irv Smith, just don’t think he is a first round talent.
yeah, and everything I read says he's there in round 2.

I agree. Unless we love 2 TEs we probably trade for 1 WR and 1 TE. Unless we know for sure that Gordon comes back, then we should focus more on TE

Even if we’re sure Gordon will be back he’s a liability on a week to week basis. We need to get some talent and think of him as a bonus if we get anything out of him.

Even if we’re sure Gordon will be back he’s a liability on a week to week basis. We need to get some talent and think of him as a bonus if we get anything out of him.
yup

I consider him our #5 WR and if he comes back as a contributor, I will pleasantly surprised as I am by all #5 WR's who contribute.

I agree. We have a TE2 and a WR1,3,5. So 3 receivers need to be added until the season starts.TE1 and WR2 and WR4. Hopefully we see at least 1 trade before the draft.

I agree. We have a TE2 and a WR1,3,5. So 3 receivers need to be added until the season starts.TE1 and WR2 and WR4. Hopefully we see at least 1 trade before the draft.
Who do you have at TE2?

I think he's too old to draft but if we can sign him as an UFA to a minimum contract...Maybe put a clause in the contract voiding the salary if he kills anyone during the season...

That’s not as good as Baltimore’s contract. Incentive for killing includes a statue in front of the stadium.

Who do you have at TE2?
presumably the 2015 UDFA who had 24 receptions last year for 250 yards (and nothing before). Alternatives are Izzo, Anderson, and Hollister.

Personally, it is likely that we need 2 TE's.

To out in another way, before Gronk retired, everyone agreed that we needed a TE. Well, now we need two.

What makes this draft more interesting then most is short of QB (no prospect worth taking) RB (stable is full) and CB is there any other spot you can’t argue value in adding a first round talent? TE, WR, and DL are all massive holes that need fresh, young, cheap talent and I would not be sad with a double dip at all 3. Tackle needs a swing, a potential insurance policy on Wynn, and a 6th olineman now that both blocking TE’s are gone. Guard could be insurance for Thuney next year. LB looks like KVN has come into his own and Bentley is interesting potential but Hightower is getting a bit long in the tooth and depth is never a bad thing. Safety starters are great but older and expensive so a rookie having a year to learn and then take over makes a ton of sense too. Still haven’t signed Ghost yet and Allen is on a one year deal, so even special teams can be argued need an upgrade. I trust Bill to take BPA and get a starter cuz the pats need more starting caliber players just about everywhere.

presumably the 2015 UDFA who had 24 receptions last year for 250 yards (and nothing before). Alternatives are Izzo, Anderson, and Hollister.

Personally, it is likely that we need 2 TE's.

To out in another way, before Gronk retired, everyone agreed that we needed a TE. Well, now we need two.
For sure. We’ve lost both experienced TEs, who happened to be excellent blockers, only 6 weeks after that physicality won them a SB. They most certainly need to replace 2 TEs.

What makes this draft more interesting then most is short of QB (no prospect worth taking) RB (stable is full) and CB is there any other spot you can’t argue value in adding a first round talent? TE, WR, and DL are all massive holes that need fresh, young, cheap talent and I would not be sad with a double dip at all 3. Tackle needs a swing, a potential insurance policy on Wynn, and a 6th olineman now that both blocking TE’s are gone. Guard could be insurance for Thuney next year. LB looks like KVN has come into his own and Bentley is interesting potential but Hightower is getting a bit long in the tooth and depth is never a bad thing. Safety starters are great but older and expensive so a rookie having a year to learn and then take over makes a ton of sense too. Still haven’t signed Ghost yet and Allen is on a one year deal, so even special teams can be argued need an upgrade. I trust Bill to take BPA and get a starter cuz the pats need more starting caliber players just about everywhere.
So far, they’re down their LT, swing tackle, two TEs, at least one WR if not two, their best defensive player (Flowers), and the franchise kicker.

This is also coming off of a year where they were exceptionally healthy at many positions.

I’m hoping that they re-sign Gost, re-sign one of Humber/McClellan for STs, and add a skill position player prior to the draft.

I’m hoping that they re-sign Gost, re-sign one of Humber/McClellan for STs, and add a skill position player prior to the draft.

At this point, if they don't re-sign Gostkowski, that means either Gostkowski is planning to retire or wants way too much money.

At this point, if they don't re-sign Gostkowski, that means either Gostkowski is planning to retire or wants way too much money.
I’d be shocked if it were the former. I don’t think he’d be retiring, already. I think there’s a much better chance that they haven’t been able to agree on a fair deal that works for both sides.

Even though we all know that Belichick is going to stick to his value system come hell or high water, the difference in their bottom line figures is likely pretty negligible. Considering the offseason that we’ve had so far, I’m thinking that it’s probably best to try and retain our franchise kicker.

Again, just my opinion. I don’t mean to sound like one of those douchey posters who thinks they know more than the greatest coach of all time. It’s just at this point, I’m not wanting to see another major loss over what can be assumed as a reasonably small amount of money.

Wide Receiver + AJ + Color? I won't miss that chance

With the signing of Mike Pennel I think drafting DL in the first round is no longer a must. I'd wait and see if we get lucky and some of the top prospects fall for whatever reason (ex. Christian Wilkins) but I think we should look at TE. If either Hockenson or Fant drops to us we should pick them up ASAP.

If not I'd say we go for AJ Brown. Brown is just so fluid on the field and at this point we need sure things at WR rather than boom/bust prospects (ex. Hakeem Butler). For me there is no chance AJ Brown will bust. What are his weaknesses? Vertical speed (which isn't a big issue in our offense) and lack of snaps outside. If he doesn't work out as X-receiver then he can just be our long-term replacement for Edelman.

Trade down could be another option, since our Bears pick is near mid-2nd anyways.

Love AJ Brown too guy already knows how to play from the Slot and his body passes the eyeballs test and more. Irv Smith at 6-2 too short for a First Round TE I would be ok with him in the Second.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this. Instead of an offense largely centred around a TE, go with a WR orientated offense. My issue with that strategy is that we're developing into a run first offense and that requires Tight End's in the offense and we already tend to signal when we're running or passing. If we don't have an effective TE in that offense, it's harder to disguise when we're running or passing. That, after all, is the advantage of a TE1 that plays inline.

manman your guy is really moving up after the combine ie... TE: Kahale Warring word on the street is that he has a high upside.

Both Mississippi WRs (DK Metcalf & AJ Brown) will almost certainly be gone by 32.

The other WR receiving the most 1st-round consideration - Marquise Brown - will probably be gone before 32 also; but even if he isn't I want nothing whatsoever to do with him at that spot.

The next level of WRs - Parris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, N'Keal Harry, Riley Ridley etc - are simply unworthy of 32, though Campbell comes the closest.

I am not drafting a RB at 32 under ANY circumstances whatsoever.

The above scenarios are the reason why defense, especially DL, has to be a consideration at 32, even when our combined TE/WR group is now quite possibly the very Worst in the entire league.

Coach cap: Marquise Brown moves at another speed fun player to watch on tape. I wouldn't be opposed even at his size he knows how to weave through the Defense.

Irv Smith at 6-2 too short for a First Round TE I would be ok with him in the Second.

So if we trade down from 32 to 33 he'd be fine. Gotcha.

I am praying they don't trade up !!!

If they want pick 15, probably they will have to give 32, 56 and 97.

So i used all mocks to and don't like any scenario.

To get Fant or Hock they will give:

Round 1 Pick 32: Smith Jr, Irv, TE -> I would not draft Smith here
Round 2 Pick 24: Omenihu, Charles, DE
Round 2 Pick 32: Samuel, Deebo, WR
Round 3 Pick 9: Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB/OLB
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Hooker, Amani, FS/SS
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Pierschbacher, Ross, OG
Round 4 Pick 32: Evans, Bobby, OT

Using Draft Network:

Round 2 Pick 24: Deebo, Samuel, WR
Round 2 Pick 32: Yodny, Cajuste, OT
Round 3 Pick 9: Hooker, Amani, FS/SS
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Saunders, Khalen, IDL
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Ximines, Oshane, EDGE
Round 4 Pick 32: Dillon, Mitchell, WR

Fan Speak:

Round 2 Pick 24: Lindstrom, Chris, OG
Round 2 Pick 32: Little, Greg, OT
Round 3 Pick 9: Isabella, Andy, WR
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Bryant, Austin, EDGE
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB/OLB
Round 4 Pick 32: Warring, Kahale, TE

I am praying they don't trade up !!!

If they want pick 15, probably they will have to give 32, 56 and 97.

So i used all mocks to and don't like any scenario.

To get Fant or Hock they will give:

Round 2 Pick 24: Omenihu, Charles, DE
Round 2 Pick 32: Samuel, Deebo, WR
Round 3 Pick 9: Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB/OLB
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Hooker, Amani, FS/SS
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Pierschbacher, Ross, OG
Round 4 Pick 32: Evans, Bobby, OT

Using Draft Network:

Round 2 Pick 24: Deebo, Samuel, WR
Round 2 Pick 32: Yodny, Cajuste, OT
Round 3 Pick 9: Hooker, Amani, FS/SS
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Saunders, Khalen, IDL
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Ximines, Oshane, EDGE
Round 4 Pick 32: Dillon, Mitchell, WR

Fan Speak:

Round 2 Pick 24: Lindstrom, Chris, OG
Round 2 Pick 32: Little, Greg, OT
Round 3 Pick 9: Isabella, Andy, WR
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Bryant, Austin, EDGE
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB/OLB
Round 4 Pick 32: Warring, Kahale, TE
Rather have Sternberger. More NFL offense ready than Smith.

If an elite talent falls to 15 and there is a huge talent gap after 15 you make the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots