PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King doesn't like OT now that Manning is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
NFL prepares for Rematch Weekend - Peter King - SI.com

WTF ? In fact % wise only 33% of the time the team winning the toss wins the game. I thought guys on CBS yesterday had a good take on indy saying they have so much moneyed players in mathis and freeney and sanders, why couldnt they stop em.

EDIT:
He has a manning brady tidbit too.

6. New England (11-5). Lest you doubt the bond of respect that exists between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, listen to Manning talk about their communication, and his reaction, when Brady went down in the first quarter of the first game of the season: "I couldn't watch his hit. ESPN would tease it, and I would have to turn my head. I never actually watched the play. It made me sick. First quarter of the season. Sickening. Just sickening. Then he called me after his surgery. Here we are, a couple of meathead quarterbacks, trying to talk medicine. Like: How was your surgery? How many white blood cells did I have in my knee?'

Last edited:
Re: Peter King doesnt like OT now that his beloved manning is out

WTF ? In fact % wise only 33% of the time the team winning the toss wins the game. I thought guys on CBS yesterday had a good take on indy saying they have so much moneyed players in mathis and freeney and sanders, why couldnt they stop em.

EDIT:

It's funny he said previously he wouldn't want to change the playoff system yet he has the Pats ranked as his 6th best team. How does that make any sense, his 6th best team in the league where 12 make the playoffs has no chance of winning the SB?!: NFL prepares for Rematch Weekend - Peter King - SI.com

Also, imnetions how mpressive the Pats 11 wins were:
e. I learn a lot reading Mike Reiss in the Boston Globe. This week, in his Reiss's Pieces online blog, there was this daunting stat that illuminated what an uphill struggle it was for the Patriots to get to 11-5. Tom Brady was injured on the 15th of 1,102 New England offensive snaps. How many other teams would win 11 games with their most important player playing 1.4 percent of the season?

Last edited:

I thought it also fairly amusing that he had the Pats, a team that did not play a playoff game, 6th of his fine 15, ranked higher than many of the playoff teams.

Last edited:

EDIT:

No, the 33% figure is that the team that wins the toss wins the game on the first possession. In other words, if you lose the toss, there's a 1 in 3 chance that your offense will not get the ball.

I don't see it as that big a deal. One team gets the ball to start the other team gets the field position so long as they can play good STs. Use our OT game this as an example. We can't complain because our de should have stopped them and if they did we would have had the ball likely plus 35 with less field to traverse for the field goal.

I don't have any problem with OT if the other team scores on the opening possession if it's a TD. I hate it when it's a field goal, and the other team doesn't get a chance to touch the ball.

EDIT:
33%? Are you sure of that figure? Or did you mean that 33% of the teams that wins the toss wins it without the other team touching the ball? I would find that easier to believe.

I think the current arrangement is as good as any short of playing a full quarter (no matter who scores when) with two timeouts per team and a tie declared thereafter in the regular season if neither team is ahead; in the post season, they would follow the same procedure, adding another quarter, etc., until one team is ahead at the end of a quarter. This would be unacceptable to the TV gods in the regular season because tied 1:00 games would run well into the 4:00 games.

I thought it also fairly amusing that he had the Pats, a team that did not play a playoff game, 6th of his fine 15, ranked higher than many of the playoff teams.

He probably figures it's easy to do since it doesn't mean anything and he can point to it the next time someone says he's biased against the Pats.

WTF ? In fact % wise only 33% of the time the team winning the toss wins the game.

Peter King wrote: "In regular-season history, by the way, 141 games (33 percent of all games) have been won on the first possession. "

but he does not tell us how many of those games were won on a kickoff return, fumble returns, interception returns, safeties, or blocked field goals.

It's funny he said previously he wouldn't want to change the playoff system yet he has the Pats ranked as his 6th best team. How does that make any sense, his 6th best team in the league where 12 make the playoffs has no chance of winning the SB?!: NFL prepares for Rematch Weekend - Peter King - SI.com

Also, imnetions how mpressive the Pats 11 wins were:

probably none, unless you had another Brady on your roster

Let me see if I've got this straight?

Peter King needed to read Mike Reiss to figure out that a player injured 7 minutes into the opening quarter of the first game of the season will miss most of the team's snaps during the year.

Aya carumba. I always thought he was an idiot. But, wow. My cat's litter box could have figured that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back