PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Fouts picks a punter ahead of Tom Brady in MMQB All-Time Draft

Game theory is based upon rational thought, there's nothing rational about taking a punter over the greatest player of all time.

There are just some more important positions, even if Ray Guy DID hit a camera in the Superdome.

No biggie when we traded Vinatieri, although there was wailing and gnashing of teeth. Some people think he's super super special because of his clutchiness. I dunno, the Clots also thought the liquored up kicker Vanderjackoff was special. And I am sure that there are fans of roaming tribes of Zendejases and Grammaticae. I'm sorry, they're not special either. It's good to have a good kicker, it's bad not to have one, but they can only be so good because they're only so important.

In fact, a punter is more important in direct proportion to the amount of time you spend in your own end of the field on offense. Having a great QB allows you to do surgery. Having a great punter allows you to cauterize the wound you cause because you botch every operation.

Before anybody says it, a great defense isn't in the same category. A great defense intercepts you and strips you and beats your guys up and changes the game. A great punter? Well, he might make it harder for the superior team to run up the score on you -- and you're playing a superior team, if you're punting a lot.

Just happening to have one onboard is great. And hey, better to have a good one than a bad one. But there's a reason there's no punter in the standard fantasy football format.

It's like a kicker, but moreso.

GOAT Punter is like I dunno, "Guy who took the most shots to the face from Mike Tyson and stayed on his feet the longest."

Now that is sort of the plot of half the Rocky movies, but if you're looking for an all time "winningest" team, I just don't know how you measure the "impact" of the punter.

Game theory is based upon rational thought, there's nothing rational about taking a punter over the greatest player of all time.

Clever, but wrong.

A cloak that give +4 protection, but is extremely rare with no comparable items - no cloaks that offer more than +1, will cost more than a sword that gives +8 damage if the game is filled with other swords that give +7 damage.

You're drafting the whole team you will field, so the position is not as important as the difference in quality between choices A, B, C, or D at said position. With only 12 drafting, the drop-off won't be dramatic for most positions.

If Fouts believed that Guy was just that much better than any other punter, I see his reasoning, even if I disagree with his choice.

Dan Fouts always been Brady/Patriots hater. I'm surprised he didn't pick Manning, considering his man crush for him.

It's very debatable that Guy is even the best punter in NFL history. It's even debatable he's the best _Raiders_ punter in NFL history with the career Lechler has had (and Marquette King could overtake them both). The coverage of the NFL today thanks to cable and internet and the advancement of statistical analyses, particularly in areas like special teams where things like situational hang time, direction and downed balls inside the 10 are only recently being tracked are things Guy never had to deal with. Guy was a great punter who got a lot of exposure because the Raiders were on T.V. a lot.

And while hitting the scoreboard in the Superdome is impressive, it was only 90ft above the field then. It got raised thereafter so don't look at a recent shot of the Superdome today and think that's how high his punt went. If you recall, when the current Cowboys stadium opened, a punter hit the scoreboard in the preseason. Guess how high that scoreboard was? 90ft.

Guy picked 4th. I want Dan Fouts in my FF league. He's free money.

Regards,
Chris

Clever, but wrong.

A cloak that give +4 protection, but is extremely rare with no comparable items - no cloaks that offer more than +1, will cost more than a sword that gives +8 damage if the game is filled with other swords that give +7 damage.

You're drafting the whole team you will field, so the position is not as important as the difference in quality between choices A, B, C, or D at said position. With only 12 drafting, the drop-off won't be dramatic for most positions.

If Fouts believed that Guy was just that much better than any other punter, I see his reasoning, even if I disagree with his choice.
No.

Clever, but wrong.

Lmao

TB was the second QB taken so not as bad as Dungy's thoughts.

BB being the 9th coach taken is pretty bad imo.

Was AV taken and I missed his name or what ?

Agreed the only 2 that went ahead of him that I think made any sense were Lombardi and Landry

Football isn't a fantasy game. Punters are swords or spells. Football is real life.
a QB has 1000 times the impact of a punter.
Proof? Just look at the draft.

Football isn't a fantasy game. Punters are swords or spells. Football is real life.

I said multiple times I didn't agree with his choice for just that reason. But in a draft like this, it's not just about who's number 1 at any position, but how much better the available choices are in comparison to those next in line.

If you believe there's no one remotely in Lawrence Taylor's league, but that Montana and Peyton and Jonny U are all close to Brady, you take Taylor, expecting to get one of the other quarterbacks later.

But yeah, of course it depends on position. To take a guard, for example, or a punter or kicker, seems extreme to me.

I said multiple times I didn't agree with his choice for just that reason. But in a draft like this, it's not just about who's number 1 at any position, but how much better the available choices are in comparison to those next in line.

If you believe there's no one remotely in Lawrence Taylor's league, but that Montana and Peyton and Jonny U are all close to Brady, you take Taylor, expecting to get one of the other quarterbacks later.

But yeah, of course it depends on position. To take a guard, for example, or a punter or kicker, seems extreme to me.
Then why are you arguing?

All true, except that we are debating a fantasy draft...this is not real life.

Some of you are taking this much too seriously.

All true, except that we are debating a fantasy draft...this is not real life.

Some of you are taking this much too seriously.
Well we are debating a fantasy draft or real football players.
Actually we are debating how stupid it would be if Dan fouts to draft a punter 4th of all time if given the chance.

Not sure why you think anyone is taking it any more seriousky than laughing at fouts.

Then why are you arguing?

You mean talking about game theory in such a setting and how it might apply to Fouts' reasoning?

I don't know, maybe it's because I've made a great living for the last 30 years writing books and designing games.

And the example I gave...yeah, that's part of designing MMO's.

You mean talking about game theory in such a setting and how it might apply to Fouts' reasoning?

I don't know, maybe it's because I've made a great living for the last 30 years writing books and designing games.

And the example I gave...yeah, that's part of designing MMO's.
But it doesn't relate. Football is real life not a computer game.

But it doesn't relate. Football is real life not a computer game.

You have no idea of how a design team works on a computer game, clearly.

And football, news flash, is a game. And football DRAFTING, especially in a fantasy, concocted scenario like the link, is most certainly a game.

Fouts is a flat out racist. He SHOULD have chosen Reggie Roby over Ray Guy.:eek:

You have no idea of how a design team works on a computer game, clearly.

And football, news flash, is a game. And football DRAFTING, especially in a fantasy, concocted scenario like the link, is most certainly a game.
football is played by humans.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back