PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Fouts picks a punter ahead of Tom Brady in MMQB All-Time Draft

Unless we're going to seriously consider the possibility that a punter could be the fourth greatest player of all time, I think we should just acknowledge this was either a poorly execute and obvious troll pick or the product of a CTE-addled brain (or both) and move on.

Marv Levy and Tony Dungy getting selected ahead of Belichick is way, way worse IMO.

Not if you are putting a premium on losing. After all Marv and Pollian are 1-10 in Super Bowls.

Marv 0-4

Pollian 1-6

Look, I'm rooting for you, but Fouts still has a much better shot at the Jets GM job.

Great try though.

Best of luck.

My basic game theory > homerism.

Do we have to start a thread every time someone in the media slights Tom Brady in any way?

Newsflash #1: There are morons in the media.
Newsflash #2: There are smart people in the media who troll fans by deliberately saying stupid things.

Do we have to start a thread every time someone in the media slights Tom Brady in any way?

Newsflash #1: There are morons in the media.
Newsflash #2: There are smart people in the media who troll fans by deliberately saying stupid things.

Yes.

Barstool Sports

Sweetness at 18 this list is a hot mess...

Drafting Ray Guy at #4 doesn't even make sense from a VBD standpoint. Even if the gap from Guy to the #2 punter is bigger than the gap between 1 and 2 at all other positions, it's a gap between *punters*. Surprised he didn't draft a special teams gunner with his 2nd round pick.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Sweetness at 18 this list is a hot mess...

The one saving grace about Walter Peyton going at #18 is that it was Gil Brandt's second overall pick. That made his picks:

#1 Jim Brown
#2 Walter Peyton

Brandt also got Randy Moss and Terrell Owens at WR, and Greg Olsen at TE.

His QB is Troy Aikman.

Fouts? QB - Bradshaw, RBs - Bo Jackson and Joe Perry, WRs - Chargers JJ Jefferson and Charlie Joiner.

Peter King wound up with:

QB - Tom Brady, RBs - Gale Sayers and Franco Harris, WRs - Steve Largent and Larry Fitzgerald, TE - Jason Whitten.

The MMQB NFL All-Time Draft

Last edited:
I didn't know quite a few of the players on that list. Shocker for me was seeing Don Hutson, a Packers WR from 1935-45 get picked 8th overall, #2 offensive skill player behind Jim Brown. I know basically nothing about him - will be interesting to research later.

I have to imagine that part of this exercise was for some of the participants to show off their knowledge of football history.

Clever move by Fouts. He wants to get out of the booth and this immediately makes him the front runner for the Jets GM job next offseason.

Conflict of interest. He's already the front runner for the JETE QB job next offseason.

I love Lawrence Taylor and a bunch of these other guys, they're all legendary players... but if there was actually an All-Time NFL draft and you select anything but a Quarterback for the first several picks, you shouldn't be allowed to hold a pair of scissors, operate a motor vehicle or use a glue stick

Barry Sanders... one of the greatest RBs of all time never had any playoff success or ever won a big game... There were times where he literally created space out of nothing, where his offensive line completely failed him and he still miraculously found a way to break out of that mess and bust a huge run

Even someone like that couldn't carry his team to any sort of success... only Quarterbacks can do that because they touch the ball every snap and impact the game way more... so if you're making your "All Time" team and you don't choose one of the All-Time Quarterbacks with an early pick, you should be locked in a padded room away from the rest of society!

p.s. I don't really believe that people should be locked in padded rooms for disagreeing with my sports opinions

Last edited:
I love Lawrence Taylor and a bunch of these other guys, they're all legendary players... but if there was actually an All-Time NFL draft and you select anything but a Quarterback for the first several picks, you shouldn't be allowed to hold a pair of scissors, operate a motor vehicle or use a glue stick
If Brady was gone, I'd select Lawrence Taylor with my first pick.

If Brady was gone, I'd select Lawrence Taylor with my first pick.

I think he's one of the greatest players ever, but I don't know if he impacts the game as much as a player that has the ball in his hands every snap on offense

You could triple team LT and take him out of the game schematically if you really wanted to. It would create disadvantages everywhere else, but you could limit any single player on an offense or defense except the quarterback position

Sorry, this draft makes no sense. Winning is the point for every team and there is only one player to win 7 Conference Championships, 5 Super Bowls, and almost 80% of their games, and that's Tom Brady. 4-5 for 17 years, no one else comes close.

No. 1 pick, any draft, any time.What Brady is doing in terms of Winning #'s is comparable to what Gretzky did in terms of scoring, and that is untouchable.

80%. GTFOOH

Sorry, this draft makes no sense. Winning is the point for every team and there is only one player to win 7 Conference Championships, 5 Super Bowls, and almost 80% of their games, and that's Tom Brady. 4-5 for 17 years, no one else comes close.

No. 1 pick, any draft, any time.What Brady is doing in terms of Winning #'s is comparable to what Gretzky did in terms of scoring, and that is untouchable.

80%. GTFOOH

yep, I pointed this hilariousness out in another thread.

I've seen at least two "greatest" lists touted this off-season where Brady isn't the #1 even over a few years (the other one is Dungy's list... I think he had Brady at #6 QB since 1978.)

Every time you think "well they can't give him any more fuel, it's not like they could re-run the draft pick 6 guys ahead of him again..."

They do something like this.

I think Bill planted this wave of stupidity somehow to see whether he can't get that perfect season after all...

(Poor Pats... they should have grabbed Pennington when they had the chance...)

He also picked a kicker who made 66.8% of his FG attempts in the 4th round, pick 40.

If he was trying to prove he is an idiot it would be hard to do better.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back