PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Pats v. Redskins Preseason GDT

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was initially a bit skeptical, but I think I heard someone on the Quick Slants podcast stating that he’s looked okay thus far. Maybe they already know that he’s making the team, so they’re okay with pushing him to the back for now? Guess we’ll know more in the next week or two.

No Patriot drafted in the first four rounds under Belichick has been cut before Week 1, and only one (Kareem Brown, 2007) was cut before his second offseason.

I'm seeing this Webb kid hyped up over this game, notably on reddit. I watched all of his scores and they seemed straight forward, fairly easy and the statline wasn't necessarily inspiring.

Is there anything more than the fact that he scored a few times?

Seemed like Jeremy Hill played well which is great considering whatever's going on with Michel's knee.

I’ve had high hopes on Webb for a while. I think I posted about him atleast once 2 seasons ago. I’ll have to search

One of my draft binkies rasheem green doing well. Wish we had drafted him.

No Patriot drafted in the first four rounds under Belichick has been cut before Week 1, and only one (Kareem Brown, 2007) was cut before his second offseason.
Well, I fully understand that it’s a given that he makes the team. I was just suggesting that his presence as a lock could be the reason why Belichick wishes to see other CBs play larger roles in the preseason, that’s all.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet because I didn’t get to see the broadcast, but this report claims that Brady’s workload has been reduced in the past week due to a sore back:

Report: Tom Brady dealing with sore back

Family Vaca In Aruba and couldn't watch...tried via slingbox but WiFi at resort not strong enough...anyway, tried to follow game thread but gave up at 14 or 17 zip whatever it was...these games F-ing suck...it's ok, cuz had a Miami fan and buffalo fan BOTH bend the knee as I was in the pool playing catch w my son w our pats football...both opposing fans initially gave me good natured ribbing but did admit Brady was #1 and Pats r simply awesome....nice to hear...
Was just there last week. Stayed at the Casa Del Mar .

welp...just read the thread. Interesting and *shockingly* rational analysis from the armchairs out there. I was AT the game with Tunes and I can tell all of you with no reservations that Jordan Richards cannot play in the NFL. In fact I don't think he'd be any better than 2nd string in the SEC. I read that he whiffed on some tackles as you saw it on broadcast. Perhaps it's good that that is all you got to see. In my fifty +years I have NEVER seen a more putrid performance from a socalled pro in the NFL. He missed EVERY tackle. Why? He doesn't KNOW WHAT A TACKLE IS! BTW they were playing a cover 6 most of the night I think, utilizing a deep middle safety. Richards was 20 to 25 yards OFF the LOS every single play. EVERY ONE! I keyed on him every play. Even when it was an obvious run play and even though HE saw that it was, he STILL never got close to a stop, It's horrific how bad this guy's instincts are. The clown show he put on on rushes and screens to the sideline was as preposterous a performance of futility as I've witnessed since the Cyrus Jones experiment.

I'm not going to hold much of an opinion on the performance of Hoyer, the starting LB's or the mail-in job by our #1 corner. First preseason game ultimately means squat as far as the well oiled machine we expect to show up goes. What I take out of this game and the next is how WELL a player shows up....making sure tackles, diagnosing and blowing up the vanilla plays he's seeing, tenacity and displaying confidence. Jordan Richards is NONE of this and never will be. He was injured and never came back...hopefully he goes to the season ending IR. I never want to see this guy again in a Patriots uniform.

Last edited:
welp...just read the thread. Interesting and *shockingly* rational analysis from the armchairs out there. I was AT the game with Tunes and I can tell all of you with no reservations that Jordan Richards cannot play in the NFL. In fact I don't think he'd be any better than 2nd string in the SEC. I read that he whiifed on some tackles as you saw it on broadcast. Perhaps it's good that that is all you got to see. In my fifty +years I have NEVER seen a more putrid performance from a socalled pro in the NFL. He missed EVERY tackle. Why? He doesn't KNOW WHAT A TACKLE IS! BTW they were playing a cover 6 most of the night I think, utilizing a deep middle safety. Richards was 20 to 25 yards OFF the LOS every single play. EVERY ONE! I keyed on him every play. Even when it was an obvious run play and even though HE saw that it was, he STILL never got close to a stop, It's horrific how bad this guy's instincts are. The clown show he put on on rushes and screens to the sideline was as preposterous a performance of futility as I've witnessed since the Cyrus Jones experiment.

I'm not going to hold much of an opinion on the performance of Hoyer, the starting LB's or the mail-in job by our #1 corner. First preseason game ultimately means squat as far as the well oiled machine we expect to show up goes. What I take out of this game and the next is how WELL a player shows up....making sure tackles, diagnosing and blowing up the vanilla plays he's seeing, tenacity and displaying confidence. Jordan Richards is NONE of this and never will be. He was injured and never came back...hopefully he goes to the season ending IR. I never want to see this guy again in a Patriots uniform.
Jeez, this sounds worse than I even thought it was. Hopefully, this is his last summer in Foxboro.

Last edited:
Jeez, this sounds worse than I even have thought it was. Hopefully, this is his last summer in Foxboro.
hey, you know how I am about these game day reports. I don't joke about this crap ever. I didn't dog Richards even after his gaffes in the supe but THIS tonight, Supa? You had to see the whole field to get it...he's NOT NFL talent period. The Pats put another rookie kid in there and HE made an immediate difference. Richards can't tackle or won't tackle, Supa...but that whiff o0n the sidelines, that's Keystone Kops stuff.I don't give a shyt if it's June padless practices, you don't EVER miss and whiff like this guy did tonight. Perhaps the all22 will provide a game tape so you can see for yourself

hey, you know how I am about these game day reports. I don't joke about this crap ever. I didn't dog Richards even after his gaffes in the supe but THIS tonight, Supa? You had to see the whole field to get it...he's NOT NFL talent period. The Pats put another rookie kid in there and HE made an immediate difference. Richards can't tackle or won't tackle, Supa...but that whiff o0n the sidelines, that's Keystone Kops stuff.I don't give a shyt if it's June padless practices, you don't EVER miss and whiff like this guy did tonight. Perhaps the all22 will provide a game tape so you can see for yourself
Oh, man. I don’t even want to see it. I’m still going to counseling once a week trying to get over what happened in early February. This is why I didn’t have an issue with spending 3m or so on a fourth safety, even if Belichick seems to disagree with my opinion.

It's just the first exhibition game, and it comes after a very slow start to training camp. People will be getting needlessly overwrought about what they saw or heard.

Instead of worrying about specifics, I just looked at generalities and focused on their impact.

1. No cover LB = problems covering RBs, and that's not something that was likely solved this off season. BB should be looking for a cover LB with the desperation of a man stuck in the desert and looking for water.
  2. Thin WR corps means a guy like Dorsett needs to step it up, and he can't be so worried about getting hit that he doesn't come down with the ball, or getting pinned against the sideline on a fade throw.
  3. etc...

Overall, it was the crapfest I think most of us expected it would be, and we learned precious little, because we don't have all the other things the team has to measure tonight against. In the end, it all still boils down to this:

Richards sucks, and Ray Lewis might have killed a guy.

He got a lot of touches, and almost all if not all went for positive yards. And looked good doing it. Spun out of one tackle to pick up a few more yards iirc. Stuff like that. Consistency seemed to be there.
He also seemed to have a good burst. The blocking was good on the first TD, but it also required a back with some burst to get to the corner.

Does anyone know if there’s somewhere I can rewatch the game? Being in the UK it’s a nightmare to see games at the moment and this season we got a lot of late ones

Gonna wait for a post game thread for a proper review. But here are my knee jerk reactions after watching the game:

Good:

Hill looked like a complete RB who can most importantly block, then catch but also get stuff done running between the tackles. If he can do this consistently Gillislee is "in trouble".
Shelton looked immovable at times. Exactly what I was hoping for. Cant wait to see him when the defense is actually actively trying and not just mix and matching vanilla stuff.
Webb but will still end up on the practice squad at best.
Rivers had some encouraging snaps and the penalty on him was ********.
Bentley looked better than expected.

Bad:

Richards: ****. What is there to say at this point ?
Tackling: There were no joint practices and this is the first preseason game so this is really the first time this year where players really hit each other so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until the second game but the intensity needs to go way up.
LBs in space: It is early but it looks like this will be an issue this year unless there is a roster move to be made. This is what a glaring need really looks like.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there’s somewhere I can rewatch the game? Being in the UK it’s a nightmare to see games at the moment and this season we got a lot of late ones
You can rewatch it on NFL Network today at 1:00 pm Eastern. I think that would be 6:00 for your time. Of course, it’s possible that you don’t have access to that channel in the UK, which is why you’re asking in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents