PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Pats v. Redskins Preseason GDT

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t see the game yet. Tell me more good things.

He was just consistently lower than his opponent, with good speed and power. Phenomenal leverage and produced several pressures (along with an extremely questionable roughing the passer call). His hands are very quick. He shows versatility to drop into coverage, and he looks much stouter against the run than last year. I think we will be very happy with his play this year.

Interesting to see Dawson with the scrubs.
I was initially a bit skeptical, but I think I heard someone on the Quick Slants podcast stating that he’s looked okay thus far. Maybe they already know that he’s making the team, so they’re okay with pushing him to the back for now? Guess we’ll know more in the next week or two.

He was just consistently lower than his opponent, with good speed and power. Phenomenal leverage and produced several pressures (along with an extremely questionable roughing the passer call). His hands are very quick. He shows versatility to drop into coverage, and he looks much stouter against the run than last year. I think we will be very happy with his play this year.
You’re giving me a chub, right now. I’m originally from the Youngstown area, so it’s a big deal for the hometown fans, and double bonus for being a Pats fan.

Just like a real Patriots game, we hate the way the defense looks, but at the end of the day the scoreboard only reads 17 for the opposing team. Mid-season form already. :p

Our LB'S in pass coverage were certainly in mid-season form!

Positives.

Rivers/Wise/Clayborn all looked good
Hightower looking 100% healthy
No injuries
Hill looks like a lead back if we need him to be for a while
OL played well
LB depth seems able to stop the run

Negatives

Gilmore looked bad (I'm not worried. Was a mix of coverages and a few meh plays)
LBs still can't cover RBs (This does worry me a bit)
WRs didn't look good (not worried. Wait till Brady is in and give them some time together)

Those things stuck out to me as clear things for guys projected to make the 53.

DTs werea mixed bag a were CBs.

I'm seeing this Webb kid hyped up over this game, notably on reddit. I watched all of his scores and they seemed straight forward, fairly easy and the statline wasn't necessarily inspiring.

Is there anything more than the fact that he scored a few times?

Seemed like Jeremy Hill played well which is great considering whatever's going on with Michel's knee.

Positives.

Rivers/Wise/Clayborn all looked good
Hightower looking 100% healthy
No injuries
Hill looks like a lead back if we need him to be for a while
OL played well
LB depth seems able to stop the run

Negatives

Gilmore looked bad (I'm not worried. Was a mix of coverages and a few meh plays)
LBs still can't cover RBs (This does worry me a bit)
WRs didn't look good (not worried. Wait till Brady is in and give them some time together)

Those things stuck out to me as clear things for guys projected to make the 53.

DTs werea mixed bag a were CBs.
Couple of other positives I think:

Webb consistently looked good, and he got a lot of work.

Lucien looked good, showed ability to get wide open repeatedly.

The Patriots look quick on defense. Don't be fooled by the score. They're good in their lanes and recognize the need to get to the ball. The interior line is disciplined about their gaps. The linebackers are quick to what the Redskins give them. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a blitzing defense. The speed is there.

The offense stinks, but the offense is not on the field.

This seems appropriate here:

You'd be the worst witness any prosecutor ever had with that analysis.

I'm seeing this Webb kid hyped up over this game, notably on reddit. I watched all of his scores and they seemed straight forward, fairly easy and the statline wasn't necessarily inspiring.

Is there anything more than the fact that he scored a few times?
He got a lot of touches, and almost all if not all went for positive yards. And looked good doing it. Spun out of one tackle to pick up a few more yards iirc. Stuff like that. Consistency seemed to be there.

Yeah but only one has Patriot experience to enhance his panache. The market values that pedigree, because they know he's had some good coaching.
No. That’s just not true. Players don’t get picked up because they spent a camp in New England, they get picked up because of talent

No. That’s just not true. Players don’t get picked up because they spent a camp in New England, they get picked up because of talent
True. But being in the Patriots camp is a sign of talent. Every year guys who aren't good enough to make the Pats are good enough to make other teams.

That’s very encouraging. He would be a great addition to the D if he can give us outside pressure consistently.

True. But being in the Patriots camp is a sign of talent. Every year guys who aren't good enough to make the Pats are good enough to make other teams.
No it’s not. Being an UDFA in New England rather than somewhere else doesn’t mean you have more talent.
There is not a significant difference between patriots players cut and signed elsewhere and other teams.

Family Vaca In Aruba and couldn't watch...tried via slingbox but WiFi at resort not strong enough...anyway, tried to follow game thread but gave up at 14 or 17 zip whatever it was...these games F-ing suck...it's ok, cuz had a Miami fan and buffalo fan BOTH bend the knee as I was in the pool playing catch w my son w our pats football...both opposing fans initially gave me good natured ribbing but did admit Brady was #1 and Pats r simply awesome....nice to hear...

I think your reference is mixed up. Faulk was the only player that went after the ball on the ground.

Yeah I think you're right, but it's linked in my head because of a boneheaded play earlier in his career that I think made him be the one person who went after the ball in the instance you're talking about. It stood out as Faulk's mental development to me.

I just wish I could find/remember the two plays in question, especially the embarrassing mistake he made early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back