PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Pats v. Redskins Preseason GDT

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bently and Roberts both looked really good. The Redskins ran a lot of misdirection, which can be difficult for a defense to deal with when there is no real game preparation like in the regular season.

coverage by the LBs still needs to be way better. Gilmore played like junk. Hoyer was terrible, but I remember saying that about Cassell in the 2008 preseason too. So, game planning probably would help him out a lot.

Hill looks 100 times better than Gillisilie.

Hill looks 100 times better than Gillisilie.

The disturbing things about Gillislee's performance - he didn't follow his blockers (good lead blocking from Poggi, BTW), couldn't find holes, not much burst or agility. All of this against the same level of competition that Hill and Webb ran roughshod over.

Gillislee, though not "great", wasn't anywhere near this bad last season.

there's little you can take from last nights game.......the soft training camp was evident with the vets and the redskins scrubs are bums

hoyer is a human white flag

@ DL

Very happy that “reports“ on Rivers' slow start in TC proved false (as usual). It was such a great watch. Finally we were able to see glimpses of what we were so excited about on draft day - in Pats uni! On top of what was said i was so happy to see his very special sack hunting* approach (diff. to pass-rushing) translating well . how he plays w OLs like a big cat with prey.

Keionta has such a great size for Pats DE/DL and he was coming in for T.Flowers first week of TC but he didn't look good yesterday despite being used as outside and inside rusher.

Good to see Clayborn was one of the more solid in run D that obviously needs more work in the middle. A bit worried about M.Brown progress after inj and Valentine way down the depth chart even slower. High and KVN took it with caution so Im sure games 2 and 3 will give a better picture of run D esp. starting Shelton and Guy (not Guy and Brown). They were all a bit rusty at tackling after having no real contact (not having joint practice) but as usual that will sort itself out before the season.

Bottom line: looking forward to having a solid edge rotation again and all im hoping here for the next 4 weeks is no injuries bc the drop off after T.Flower-Clayborn-Wise-Rivers is quite dramatic (Lee showed some sparks but it was 3rd stringers)

____
*here a few thoughts on Rivers' pass/sack hunting in draft day thread: Meet Derek Rivers!

Last edited:
It's preseason. Wasn't impressed with Hoyer, should I have been?

@RB

Hill really looked exciting running - and he showed up in pass protection as well! - but if he doesn't fix his ball handling it will be a lot of holding breath each time he touches the ball - and it will not be easy to fix. He is extending his ball carrying hand way too much while running both back&foreward and to the side exposing himself to forced fumble on every stride. Im curious to see how Frears&BB go about that..

I understand Gilly is coming back from nagging inj. but he runs with so little confidence (esp. compared to BUF time) . he might not have enough time left..

The hype on Webb is surreal. Still, a great 3rd string performance. Hope to see him on PS. (yes, I think he can make it there . plenty of bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced backs out there other teams will prefer + everyone prefers their own)

__
btw - its was so great White got to be with the captains at the beginning and sitting out among top players. he was a bubble guy most fans wanted cut not so long ago and watching this small back beating the odds is a bliss..

Could someone start a postgame thoughts thread?

You must have missed his first and only playoff start. That being said, he's never looked this bad before as a member of the Patriots. Kind of worrying but I'll wait longer to see if things change.

Well, Jimmy G didn’t look great last night either, at least in the 1 series he played.

@RB

Hill really looked exciting running - and he showed up in pass protection as well! - but if he doesn't fix his ball handling it will be a lot of holding breath each time he touches the ball - and it will not be easy to fix. He is extending his ball carrying hand way too much while running both back&foreward and to the side exposing himself to forced fumble on every stride. Im curious to see how Frears&BB go about that..

I understand Gilly is coming back from nagging inj. but he runs with so little confidence (esp. compared to BUF time) . he might not have enough time left..

The hype on Webb is surreal. Still, a great 3rd string performance. Hope to see him on PS. (yes, I think he can make it there . plenty of bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced backs out there other teams will prefer + everyone prefers their own)

__
btw - its was so great White got to be with the captains at the beginning and sitting out among top players. he was a bubble guy most fans wanted cut not so long ago and watching this small back beating the odds is a bliss..

One small positive sign that I saw regarding Hill's ball security, is there was one play (I think on a catch he made), where the ball was too far from his body, but he seemed to consciously pull it back in and wrap with two hands almost immediately. To me, this shows that the bad habits might still be there, but he's purposefully trying to remind himself to improve them (probably after earfuls from the coaches). For a first preseason game, effort and willingness to improve are important things to sign IMO.

Quite the profile for an UDFA.

The disturbing things about Gillislee's performance - he didn't follow his blockers (good lead blocking from Poggi, BTW), couldn't find holes, not much burst or agility. All of this against the same level of competition that Hill and Webb ran roughshod over.

Gillislee, though not "great", wasn't anywhere near this bad last season.

So after game 1 he has no trade value, do the Pats continue to play him a lot in pre-season with the hope that he rebounds and some team puts in a waiver claim for him?

Any idea how much TD Mike will count against the cap if he clears waivers?

@ST

first coverage unit (besides P,K,LS; played most game unchanged):

JC Jackson--King-Richards-M.Flowers-Grissom-Develin/Hollister-Grigsby-Bolden--Pleasant

Richards as personal protector @ PR .. JC, Pleasant (later AJ Moore*) as gunners.

For reference - this were gunners at practice:
Patterson and Crossen, Matthews and Pleasant, JC Jackson and AJ Moore

Strange not to see Crossen in the mix but probably they want to take it slowly coming back from inj. Patterson probably rested as top option both @PR and gunner.

JC Jackson and Hill are playing themsleves to 53.

@PR McCarron got the first nod, solid but nothing special. Berrios later indecisive (unnecessary first fair-catch) but more explosive. From what I saw ytdy Id definitely keep Berrios over McCarron buth both most likely PS.

Bentley was in on PAT fwiw

* don't sleep on AJ Moore as backup S / ST . most likely starting on PS for the moment

Last edited:
One thing of note is that Rookie TE Ryan Izzo can Block you can see that aspect of his Game clearly on tape. That said in the Pasing game he moves like someone stuck in quick sand.:D

So after game 1 he has no trade value, do the Pats continue to play him a lot in pre-season with the hope that he rebounds and some team puts in a waiver claim for him?

Any idea how much TD Mike will count against the cap if he clears waivers?

I don't think his contract will factor into any roster decisions.

@BaconGrundleCandy

Your boy Rivers looked great tonight. Nice burst and technique -- he's going to be good.
All the way back in 2016. Weird man. Almost like I know what I'm talking about ;)

In all seriousness he'll be our best pass rusher very soon if he's able to stay healthy. So excited to watch & breakdown this group this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes