PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Sony Michel to LAR

it tells me Stevenson is going to see meaningful snaps this year (which is uncommon!)
As much as last year was painful; it may have loosened the coaches up on allowing rookies and second year players a longer leash in regards to playing. It is uncommon, but not unheard of, for rookies to get significant playing time or have specified roles.

What softens the blow for me is us hitting on Harris and Stevenson. Sony was always going to be a one contract back. And he was instrumental in getting Ring #6.

As much as last year was painful; it may have loosened the coaches up on allowing rookies and second year players a longer leash in regards to playing. It is uncommon, but not unheard of, for rookies to get significant playing time or have specified roles.
I don't think they're super averse to playing rookies, but I think they've been particularly careful with RBs overall. Stevenson is breaking the mold a bit - not sure if he's just impressing that much or if they just won't ask him to really pass protect, which alleviates some of the learning curve. Maybe both. If he's just in there to spell Harris and Taylor or as the "hammer" to close out wins, or as a goal-line back, it should be fine.

I don't think they're super averse to playing rookies, but I think they've been particularly careful with RBs overall. Stevenson is breaking the mold a bit - not sure if he's just impressing that much or if they just won't ask him to really pass protect, which alleviates some of the learning curve. Maybe both. If he's just in there to spell Harris and Taylor or as the "hammer" to close out wins, or as a goal-line back, it should be fine.
As Fears said this week, they can all run. Reading pro defenses and pass protection is something else. Sony was excellent in protection and unlikely any rookie can fill that role as effectively.

As much as last year was painful; it may have loosened the coaches up on allowing rookies and second year players a longer leash in regards to playing. It is uncommon, but not unheard of, for rookies to EARN significant playing time or have specified roles.
Fixed it for you

He had a fantastic 2018 post season impossible to forget

Thanks Sony and good luck
How dare you have an attitude like that on this board. Your lack of anger, disgust, criticism and hate have been placed in your permanent record. :D

Not a fan of this move. We basically gave a low-mid tier starter away for nothing. 1 more year of Michel probably would be worth those picks.

Maybe Stevenson or someone else is ready to step in behind Harris and I won't care about this trade anymore.
A fourth rounder is not nothing.

I'm not forgetting Stevenson. I'm just counting on BB not ever getting to a point where you only have a rookie as your featured RB. Although, I've really liked what we've seen so far. In fact, I wouldn't be that worried if we did lose Harris and White for a game, and ended up with he and JJ as our 1-2 punch. Either way, it's still a super solid group
Michel was the featured back in 2018. Rookie season.

The Pats misused Sony his whole career here. He was supposed to be a 3rd down back in a Alvin Kamara type role. Instead they had to use him as an lead back, which tore him up.

If he is healthy it will be interesting to see how the Rams use him.

A 4th rd comp pick isn't horrible compensation for a RB in the last year of his rookie deal. Still Sony had/has a lot of talent that was not properly used here.
Exactly this.

Sony was the only guy in the room this year who has proven he can do all three levels of playing the position: run well, pass protect well, and now, catch and run well.

And now we're right back to defenses knowing whether we're running or passing by looking at the RB.

Makes sense with how good Stevenson and Taylor are looking. Before their emergence I felt Sony had a key role but now he became quite expendable so might as well get what you can for him. If Harris gets hurt I still feel pretty good about our backs. Even Bolden has looked pretty good running and catching in recent years.
Bolden is 31 and hasn't played since 2019. He really only brings STs value now.

Won't go into explaining the concept of value over replacement player to you, will go over your head. The run blocking on that team was incredible, massive running lanes galore. He looked bad the year after with Gronk and Develin gone.
With Develin, Gronk, Andrews, Wynn, and Trent Brown gone, you mean.

The 2019 Pats were a trainwreck - an RB touching the baall usually around the same time a DT or DE was touching the RB, particularly since evreryone in the league knew what the Pats were going to run based on who was in their backfield.

4th rounder in what promises to be a VERY deep draft is more like a 3rd rounder. Plus, Pats save money and he was gone after this year. They had him for 3 years and he was essential to winning a Super Bowl. They deal him and still get good value. What’s not to like? Next year’s draft is going to be good.

It's only a 4th round pick IF the Rams get a 4th round Comp for having lost Johnson.

And how do you know it's going to be a very deep draft in 2022?

Should’ve been a 4th round pick straight out. We are horrible at trading our own players. Never get good value. Michel was actually having a good camp, and looked good during the preseason games. He added pass catching this year. I know he was never coming back, but you need to squeeze out more when you’re trading to a desperate team. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has his 1st 1,000 yard season this year (if he stays healthy). Was really good his 1st season and last season.
The Rams don't have 4th rounder but anticpate getting a comp one. This serves as a way to get the picks and change it ot the 4th rounder, once they get the comp picks.

With Develin, Gronk, Andrews, Wynn, and Trent Brown gone, you mean.

The 2019 Pats were a trainwreck - an RB touching the baall usually around the same time a DT or DE was touching the RB, particularly since evreryone in the league knew what the Pats were going to run based on who was in their backfield.

You're wasting your breath using facts on @DropKickFlutie. Broken clocks are right more than he is and are more likely to change their opinions as well.

I'm not thrilled with this trade, though on some level I understand it. I have always thought Michel was underappreciated while he was here. He DID rush for 4.3ypc during his 3 years here. NIck Chubb HAS averaged almost a yard better, BUT he's also gotten his QB killed on too many occasions. Michel has been an effective player in ALL areas that the Pats require of its RB's. He's also an example of fans hating on a player who was overdrafted. He was labelled with the "first round" expectations that seem to equate the 31st pick with something much higher.

The draftniks will tell you have players selected in the 20's and 30's (where the Pats have picked for most the last 20 years) are players lumped the same talent level as most of the 2nd round. When choosing between Chubb (who went 4 picks later) and Michell, I'm guessing Bill went for the guy who could catch the ball better and could block for his QB. Personally I was hoping for Chubb if they were going to go with a RB that high, but like most fans I don't consider things like blocking ability (which is probably why Bill never asks me for my advise in April)

Watching how smooth Sony has looked catching the ball this preseason, kind of makes you wonder why he didn't do more of it the last 3 years, but that is a discussion for another day. I worry about Stephenson learning on the run about pass protection, but my guess they will limit the times when he has to do it for now. I worry about the depth now. Harris has had a significant injury history. So our RB depth is a lead back who can't stay on the field, at rookie and two 3rd down backs. A lot more risky situation for a team who will live or die on a strong running game.

As for the value, I can only laugh at those who have for 3 years complained about Michel, and then immediately slam the fact BB didn't get more for a player they said sucked. It's what I expect of Jet fans, alas. Getting a 4th round pick for just about any RB is a reasonable pick up. Its just the reality of the NFL these days. Though I wish they had gotten the Rams 4th rather than the comp pick. And now that I think on it, since picking toward the end of the draft is such a crap shoot, I wonder if the Pats would be better off with the 5h and 6th. 2 shots rather than one.

I believe the Pats need to have 2 healthy rushing RB's for each game in order for this offense to reach its potential. In my mind that requires having 3 guys on the roster who can do that, since it is likely that one guy will be nicked up at any one time. So my guess is that they think Taylor can be that 3rd guy.

I think the Rams got exactly what they needed and greatly benefitted from the depressed value of the RB position. The Pats got reasonable value for a player who played a position where there is a glut of talent. Fair deal all around

Anyone could have run through that amazing o line in 2018…

Sony was a first round bust. We drafted him over his better college teammate who will be a 10 year all pro

I used to hate watching sony break runs to the outside and get caught from behind by 300lb d line

Traded for a bag of balls

Nope, they are getting a 4th round pick for him, and they get it in the next draft, which is the equivalent of getting a 3rd two years from now, and they weren’t going to get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back