PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Sony Michel to LAR

Why did we do this? I dont like this trade. What if harris or stephenson become injured? We have no running backs

Huh? They have Taylor and Stevenson, that’s a really good RB unit. I love the trade, Michel was gone after this season anyways.

What are the conditions for the 5/6's to upgrade to the comp 4th? I assume Michel needs to be healthy and crack 900 yards?

What are the conditions for the 5/6's to upgrade to the comp 4th? I assume Michel needs to be healthy and crack 900 yards?

It's based purely on whether the Rams HAVE a 4th round pick. Right now they don't but they're projected to get one as a comp pick, which would then go to the Pats. If they don't get a 4th, the Pats will get the 5th and 6th.

I was using this as a reference:

It's tough because a lot of the trades involve another player (either stand alone or with a pick), so without having a definitive idea of what that player added, it's hard to gauge the true value of the trade compared to the (presumed) 4th for Sony. Ones that stand out to me:

Matt Breida for a 5th
Kenyan Drake for a 6th
Jordan Howard for a 6th
Jay Ajayi for a 4th
Marshawn Lynch (plus a 6th) for a 5th (plus a CB)
Going a little further back, for additional reference since his name has been brought up in the thread, in 2010 the Pats traded Laurence Maroney plus a 6th for a 4th.

It was obvious Rhamondre Stephenson has a bright future ahead of him. It was a numbers crunch game for Michel. I wish we had gotten more but it is what it is. Sony is a solid back but not a lead NFL back.

A 4th is pretty good value for Sony. Yes, he was a 1st round pick, but that doesn't matter now. He has 1 year left on contract and basically is a JAG RB. Pats must think Stevenson is ready to play.

No, they just have to get the comp pick, which ought to happen.

I would've told the Lams to FECK OFF until AFTER our last pre-season game, and ONLY if ALL of our RB horses are safely in the barn and NONE of them are at the vet...

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Michel couldn't catch the ball at the NFL level, so claiming misuse for him not being used as a 3rd down back, when the team already had James White, makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now, having pointed out that obvious hole in your position, it should be noted that people have been saying his receiving looks much better this year, and the Rams will give him every opportunity to prove that, so maybe he'll finally get to be the back you think he was supposed to be.
Per usual, Deus is wrong. Sony could and DID catch the ball at the NFL level. The irony is that Deus states why the Patriots didn't use Sony's ability on a regular basis (James White).

All you've done, Deus, is shown you don't know what you're talking about. AGAIN.

Per usual, Deus is wrong. Sony could and DID catch the ball at the NFL level. The irony is that Deus states why the Patriots didn't use Sony's ability on a regular basis (James White).

All you've done, Deus, is shown you don't know what you're talking about. AGAIN.
Hes very good at that.

All right, @Triumph, I apologize for doubting you. Take a victory lap. You too, @ChrisR2223 -- you called it a month ago. :)
No need to apologize for anything.

I just call it the way that I see it. Pats still need a WR that can dominate. If the TE position were to go South, the team would be in trouble.

Unless there was a money change that I've not seen reported, Michel will cost the Patriots almost as much against the cap as he will cost the Rams ($1.27m v. $1.79m). It's a great bargain for a team that's carrying almost $30m in dead money this season.

The Rams currently have 39.3M in dead money this season (you're off by nearly 33%). They had 7M in cap space. Their 51st player player was counting $780K. So they lose around $1M in cap.

He was a first round pick who never hit 1000 yards and lost his job in his third season. We got similar production out of Lagarrette Blount and Benjarvus Green-Ellis and invested far less in them.

Sony couldn't stay healthy. He offered nothing as a pass catcher. He wasn't fast. He didn't make anyone miss. He wasn't powerful. He was just there. The guy was a JAG.
yup, that about sums him up.

I wonder if we could’ve gotten better offers but wish Sony continued success. He was solid in the SB run and the Rams likely wished they had him over Gurley that game.
With Henderson getting banged up prior to the trade, I'm surprised they only got a 4th round comp (essentially a 5th round pick) from the Rams. It's not like there are a plethora of teams stacked at RB who might be willing to trade..

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back