PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Eagles Superbowl X's & O's ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if they're smart and show case Smallwood or Clement more than they have in the post season thus far.

They can try to showcase those guys all they want. There is a reason why those players are so far down the depth chart. Similarly you can script only so many plays that are outside your usual offense. Will they have success on 3-4 plays ? Sure. Will it be the difference in the game ? Pretty doubtful.

I keep seeing how Fletcher Cox is going to destroy the line on Sunday.

Didn’t all the mediots say the exact same thing about Vic Beasley last year? And what happened with him? Total non factor.

In fact, it was a random JAG named Grady Jarrett who stole the show.

Don’t get me wrong, Cox is a good player, but to say he’s going to take over the game singlehandedly is a moonshot.

I keep seeing how Fletcher Cox is going to destroy the line on Sunday.

Didn’t all the mediots say the exact same thing about Vic Beasley last year? And what happened with him? Total non factor.

In fact, it was a random JAG named Grady Jarrett who stole the show.

Don’t get me wrong, Cox is a good player, but to say he’s going to take over the game singlehandedly is a moonshot.

Yeah, but that is how it works. They took care of Beasley and Jarrett stepped up. If the Pats control Cox, who will set up for the Eagles?

I feared the Seahawks line in 2014 much more than this Eagles line. Michael Bennett had a huge game that day because he had individual talent and quickness to get to Brady in about 1.5 seconds. This Eagles line goes deep, but to me is doesn't have the talent across the board to get to Brady quickly enough to impact the passing game. I think their depth will play much more into a consistent ability to limit the Pats running game, assuming that they can do that, than it will be about disrupting the passing game.

And as long as the line can give Brady 2 to 2.5 seconds, I think that they can exploit the Eagles linebackers enough in the short passing game to get the entire Eagles defense more unsettled than they are used to being this season.

Yeah, but that is how it works. They took care of Beasley and Jarrett stepped up. If the Pats control Cox, who will set up for the Eagles?
Yes, that’s the question indeed. If no one does, it’s going to be one long day for the Eagles.

Brady will pick them apart with no such pressure.

Yeh there are a lot of really good players on the Eagle DL. I think it is very similar to the Falcons last year so I am a bit concerned about that. Lets face I think our OL was better last year than this one.

This game to me is all about protecting Brady, if they can then I think the Pats got this, if they cant I dont think they win. You can only have so many comebacks before it bites you in the ass.

But Im concerned that Philly can pressure Brady. Jags did it for a half, cant have that happen on Sunday.

Finally I think pressure on Foles is at the utmost importance, he proved two weeks ago if you dont he can get you. I know his background as well as anyone here but you have to go by what he just showed the world. I also think Ertz is a problem. Our guys have not played well against TE's this year...just an eye test.

Yes, that’s the question indeed. If no one does, it’s going to be one long day for the Eagles.

Brady will pick them apart with no such pressure.

The only other guys that could cause problems are Graham, Vinny Curry and Barnett. All small fast guys (for the line!).

Them bringing pressure is almost guaranteed, DL is the strength of their defense. And they have a good rotation of 7-8 guys. The key is to get rid of the ball fast and make them rush for nothing. Dink and dunk, change the pace, dont try deep unless there is a really favorable match up.

The only other guys that could cause problems are Graham, Vinny Curry and Barnett. All small fast guys (for the line!).
Barnett seems most likely to me, but who knows.

I certainly think there will be a feeling out process, but we can’t underestimate the importance of Gronk. His solid blocking and chipping are key.

Barnett seems most likely to me, but who knows.

I certainly think there will be a feeling out process, but we can’t underestimate the importance of Gronk. His solid blocking and chipping are key.

Graham has always seemed like the poor mans Freeny - who never lived up to the hype coming out of Michigan.

Graham has always seemed like the poor mans Freeny - who never lived up to the hype coming out of Michigan.

His first 4 years, he was either hurt or non-productive. He was a massive disappointment. He's better now, but I am still not buying that he's some dynamo because he stopped being better than a disappointment doesn't make him some elite player.

Nink has had a superior career to that of Graham. Jernigan is the other one on that line who was a disappointment ( I specifically remember Kiper raving about him, and then I knew he'd be mediocr, lmao) and Curry is one of those guys that simply disappears for large stretches.

And as long as the line can give Brady 2 to 2.5 seconds, I think that they can exploit the Eagles linebackers enough in the short passing game to get the entire Eagles defense more unsettled than they are used to being this season.

Agree completely. Passer rating of 100.5 for QBs against their D when their D is trying to cover TEs/RBs.

And, then you look at which QBs they faced and compare em to Brady. Yikes!

His first 4 years, he was either hurt or non-productive. He was a massive disappointment. He's better now, but I am still not buying that he's some dynamo because he stopped being better than a disappointment doesn't make him some elite player.

Nink has had a superior career to that of Graham. Jernigan is the other one on that line who was a disappointment ( I specifically remember Kiper raving about him, and then I knew he'd be mediocr, lmao) and Curry is one of those guys that simply disappears for large stretches.

Curry can make plays but does tend to disappear. Thing is, their DE always seem small to me, but they hold up against the run.

Last edited:
Lol! damn! I was hoping you didn't see that edit. I was just waiting for people to be like, Clonamery agreed that he was a ****! :D:eek:
Hahaha. To know me is to agree that I’m a ****. Period.

Curry can make plays but does tend to disappear. Thing is, there DE always seem small to me, but they hold up against the run.

Agree. He'll blast tinot the backfield once in a while and make some tackle for - 2 yards, or something, but his a guy gets a lot of continuos pressure or who is a good run defender, I am not seeing it.

I look at a guy like that who was a disappointment early on, and still sort of is based on his contract, as like a Nick Perry type that Ted Thompson re-upped last year, simply because he had to show he hasn't been having terrible drafts on defense, which clearly he was. Look at Nick Perry's contract. It's awful from a value standpoint. Curry's is the same way.

Good player, but not great. Cox is clearly their key piece.

I see Barnett/Long do a lot of the speed rush thingy, swining way wide all the time, and Solder usually does well, just pushing those guys away.

Gotta be careful on delayed stunts and stuff like that which is what Spagnuolo did against Brady.

But, man for man, we match up well. I don't get this overrated obsession with the Eagles front 7.

They do rotate some guys in, but those guys don't stay out there for long. Hurry up stuff may be a great weapon here,when they really have to have it.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I really dont think the Jags D-line is what gave the patriots offense so much trouble. to me, they held up pretty well...it was the speed on the linebackers in shutting down Lewis/White. clearly early on the patriots tried to get short dink/dunk passes going but the linebackers were bottling them up which put the patriots into 3rd and long situations.

Can the eagles do it? from what I read their linebackers are not as fast as the Jaguars. and their secondary isnt as formidable

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes