PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Eagles Superbowl X's & O's ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
This thread for X's and O's explanations.

Defending the Eagles: I believe strongly that our ability to defend them will start with taking away the RPO to make the Eagles one dimensional. If they can get their RPO going, it opens up the playbook for them, especially the verticals.

However while Chip Kelly introduced the RPO to the Eagles, Pederson has taken it to another level- and so it's not easily defended without understanding the tweaks that Pederson has made to match the personnel on his team. Example:

(Yes, I know that's Wentz)

Understanding the RPO as the Eagles uses it:

Remnants Of Chip Kelly's Offense Beneficial For Eagles

Where I think Pederson's strategy will be a repeat of this:

Much like Kelly’s offense, Pederson’s success with RPOs starts with a run-heavy attack that lures the defense closer to the line of scrimmage. The Eagles ran for 77 yards and averaged almost 5 yards per carry in the first half against heavy Falcons defensive fronts, opening the door for Pederson to get Nick Foles going in the second half with RPOs and play-action passes on first down.

Last edited:
That RPO makes me nervous. The first half might be kind of...

giphy.gif

I believe BB and his team have dissected the Chiefs's game very well and it was a game where I felt the RPO really hurt us. We did well against the Panthers who also used variants, but we were undone with miscommunication in the secondary and not because we bit hard. If the players do their job, RPO should not be an issue. You can see the corners, especially Talib biting hard in the exhibits put forth for why RPO will be the story of LII. This will be a game for the TEs.

Ertz worries me, I propose we put Marquis Flowers in this game for TE coverage.
Play two deep safeties. Try to emulate what Atlanta did by disrupting his timing.
4-3 (McCourty and Harmon) (Gilmore, Butler, Rowe).

I think the weakest link is actually Butler and that is a good thing because though he has not had a stellar season, he is still good.

I believe BB and his team have dissected the Chiefs's game very well and it was a game where I felt the RPO really hurt us. We did well against the Panthers who also used variants, but we were undone with miscommunication in the secondary and not because we bit hard. If the players do their job, RPO should not be an issue. You can see the corners, especially Talib biting hard in the exhibits put forth for why RPO will be the story of LII. This will be a game for the TEs.

Ertz worries me, I propose we put Marquis Flowers in this game for TE coverage.
Play two deep safeties. Try to emulate what Atlanta did by disrupting his timing.
4-3 (McCourty and Harmon) (Gilmore, Butler, Rowe).

I think the weakest link is actually Butler and that is a good thing because though he has not had a stellar season, he is still good.

I agree this will be a game of TE's. Eagles defense has not done well against TE's this year (Kelce killed them in week 2) so very hopefully Gronk gets the green light as far as passing the concussion protocol.

I expect him to have a monster game.

Looks like their corners suffer from Butler's ailment, there are tapes of successful sluggos against them throughout the year but I am sure they will work to correct this and this can slow them down a bit. Edelman would have feasted in such a game.

Brady will see old friend, Jalen Collins in the SB again- expect the same kind of abuse:

Hey Jalen! It’s been a while.. ;):D

Some light reading on the Eagles' run/pass option...

Chip Kelly introduced RPOs to Eagles, but Doug Pederson evolved the concept

Vikings Defense Prepping for Eagles Deception & Run/Pass Options  

Philadelphia ran 67 total plays, meaning the 23 plays in the shotgun that either went to the running back or included a faked handoff accounted for 34 percent of the Eagles play calls.

Of the 23 plays, Philadelphia ran the ball 17 times, or 77 percent of the time, and attempted just six passes.

This article has, by far, the most meat on its bones...

The Eagles Can Beat You in Every Which Way

Great video! I actually feel considerably more confident about our matchup with their defense now.

Me too. This is right in the Pats wheelhouse.

Brady will see old friend, Jalen Collins in the SB again- expect the same kind of abuse:

Jalen Mills may play the Jalen Collins role of having the bullseye, but he's a different guy.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: jah
I am worried about how well their offensive line is playing. If we can’t generate any pressure on Foles it’s going to be a long day for our DBs.

I would emulate Atlanta's D schemes. They seemed to work well. Put Rowe on T. Smith and Butler on Agholor. That leaves Jeffery with the Predator, Gilmore. Have McCourty help on Smith over the top. Throw in Harmon to help on Ertz. I would blitz a lot!

On offense you have to survive the early onslaught of that D. Run, screens and trickery. Open up the bag of tricks. You are also on turf. Unleash the speed of Cooks and Hogan. First play...fake to Lewis and screen to Dorsett! I like how shifty he is and the Eagles would likely not expect it.

Lastly, play field position.

Man, this video gave me a ton of confidence against that defense. Although, they are good, they aren't anywhere near as good as the one we just faced and we match up much better against this form of defense. I can see Brady putting up big points in this one fellas. I feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes