PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone wrote an article about this and said he’s noticed that Jared Goff at this point in his career has a problem with his internal clock when throwing. He throws the ball late a lot. That doesn’t bode well against a man to man defense

Someone wrote an article about this and said he’s noticed that Jared Goff at this point in his career has a problem with his internal clock when throwing. He throws the ball late a lot. That doesn’t bode well against a man to man defense

The biggest knock against Goff is that he will only throw to something he can see (e.g., an open receiver), hence those late throws. He is also horrendous when under pressure.

Brady, on the other hand is the master of seeing plays before they happen, he is absolutely ballsy when it comes to releasing the ball before the play develops or the receiver finishes the route, or snaps off his stem- e.g., anticipating that such and such will be at such and such place, or that a window will open at such and such place. His talent and mastery of this skill is unprecedented.

Can someone do an X’s and O’s on their fake punts and explain what we can do to stop them?

Here is some interesting things Schlereth said when he was guest on the garbage show "First Things First". But bear with me he actually came with an interesting viewpoint about BB teams having issues with the Shanahan zone running scheme that is not hot takey at all.

I am surprised it didn't blow the heads of Wright and Carter.

Really good stuff about the run scheme.

The big thing about Goff is he can’t think for himself. He has Mcvay detailing the defense and their coverage and what to do for the 15 seconds in his helmet and then he follows the script.

Here is some interesting things Schlereth said when he was guest on the garbage show "First Things First". But bear with me he actually came with an interesting viewpoint about BB teams having issues with the Shanahan zone running scheme that is not hot takey at all.

I am surprised it didn't blow the heads of Wright and Carter.

Really good stuff about the run scheme.

Honestly, they are making a big deal out of Brandin Cooks having intel on NE. Yes, he knows us, but we know him too. And anyone who tries to hurdle over an Eagle defender in the Super Bowl probably isn't that bright any way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The biggest knock against Goff is that he will only throw to something he can see (e.g., an open receiver), hence those late throws. He is also horrendous when under pressure.

Brady, on the other hand is the master of seeing plays before they happen, he is absolutely ballsy when it comes to releasing the ball before the play develops or the receiver finishes the route, or snaps off his stem- e.g., anticipating that such and such will be at such and such place, or that a window will open at such and such place. His talent and mastery of this skill is unprecedented.
In many situations, Tom knows what he wants to call before josh even calls it.

Honestly, they are making a big deal out of Brandin Cooks having intel on NE. Yes, he knows us, but we know him as well too. And anyone who tries to hurdle over an Eagle defender in the Super Bowl probably isn't that bright any way. :rolleyes:
This year's offense is really different than last year's offense

Really need to do to him what they did to Rivers
BB may be able to dial up some coverages he’s never seen. Goff is inexperienced. He’s only faced the patriots once as a rookie. That game wasn’t even close.

To me this game is more about whether the Pats can properly protect Brady and score the points. I am a lot more confident that the defense will do an adequate job of holding up against the Rams.

The Schlereth take is interesting, but then the panel goes straight back to the "Wade Phillips has had the Patriots number" take. Anecdotally, I seem to remember the Patriots killing Wade's defenses in any year that he didn't have a top 10 all time defense playing at home (in Denver no less). Am I forgetting other games where he's given Brady trouble? Anyone have any stats on his overall record against BB/Brady?

Last edited:
The Schlereth take is interesting, but then the panel goes straight back to the "Wade Phillips has had the Patriots number" take. Anecdotally, I seem to remember the Patriots killing Wade's defenses in any year that he didn't have a top 10 all time defense playing at home (in Denver no less). Am I forgetting other games where he's given Brady trouble? Anyone have any stats on his overall record against BB/Brady?

This... the only thing you can knock Brady for against wade is completion percentage.

Ignore his stats in the 2015 games. That Broncos defense is an outlier. The rams defense more closely symbolizes the one that Brady shredded in the 2012 divisional game

I don't know if this should be posted here or not but food for thought : Mods feel free to move this if necessary as it isn't about x's and o's

The ages of Tom Brady's receivers when he won Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams in 2002:

Julian Edelman: 15
James Develin: 13
Chris Hogan: 13
Rob Gronkowski: 12
Dwayne Allen: 11
Rex Burkhead: 11
James White: 10
Cordarrelle Patterson: 10
Phillip Dorsett: 9
Sony Michel: 6

I think this game all comes down to protecting Brady,....if they can keep Tom relatively clean then the Pats win....I do think NE can cover the Rams receivers, I woudl love to see that defense NE used against the chargers, Goff will never know where they are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back