PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well he should. The Patriots weakness is on dives and counters and Gurley excels at that as long as he’s healthy. I fully expect the Rams to make the run the focal point. McVay is not the assassin of a play caller that Payton or even McDaniels is (who mercilessly attacks whatever your weakness is), but he is smart. The DT group will have to bring it again.

This is where I am hung up on being confident in a win. I think the Rams have a big advantage here and I think they will focus here. Let’s hope they overthink it, because their pass game doesn’t worry me. But if they get the run game then those bootlegs and their OLine will be able to give Goff all day.

This is where I am hung up on being confident in a win. I think the Rams have a big advantage here and I think they will focus here. Let’s hope they overthink it, because their pass game doesn’t worry me. But if they get the run game then those bootlegs and their OLine will be able to give Goff all day.

On the flipside the same can be said for our offense against their run defense. I think the game is pretty evenly matched based on perceived weaknesses and strengths except our pass defense is better than theirs.

Kamara has a good game catching the ball vs their LBs and Safties, I expect James White to be targeted often in the passing game.

Kamara has a good game catching the ball vs their LBs and Safties, I expect James White to be targeted often in the passing game.

The Rams are actually pretty good in terms of pass defense against RBs and TEs. Kamara was almost more of an exception this season. I would not be surprised if the focus will be more on Edelman and his quick routes and -- of course -- the run game. And then obviously change of pace to White / Gronk and PA now and then.

Given how vulnerable they seem to be on outside runs it could also end up being a game for CP.

The Schlereth take is interesting, but then the panel goes straight back to the "Wade Phillips has had the Patriots number" take. Anecdotally, I seem to remember the Patriots killing Wade's defenses in any year that he didn't have a top 10 all time defense playing at home (in Denver no less). Am I forgetting other games where he's given Brady trouble? Anyone have any stats on his overall record against BB/Brady?

Brady is 6-3 against a Wade Phillips coached D. Really the only year he did well against us was in 2015.

We are talking about how inefficient Goff can be be once McVay stops giving him instructions. While I agree that it may be true, they are the #2 seed in NFC and played some good defenses this season and managed to win.

That said, they also lost to Bears, Saints (regular season), Eagles was because Goff couldn't play well. It was not just one qtr but throughout the game. McVay being the genius coach he is, probably is aware of this and will plan accordingly.

Like many people have already said, if we rattle him early and put pressure on him, it doesn't matter if it's McVay talking to him in the headset or someone else, we will win by a good margin. Hopefully that'll happen and we can finally have a superbowl where we start dominating and never let up. I can't handle the blood pressure anymore :D

Personally, I would like this game to be similar to Seattle-Denver super bowl when Seattle won 43-8. :cool:

We are talking about how inefficient Goff can be be once McVay stops giving him instructions. While I agree that it may be true, they are the #2 seed in NFC and played some good defenses this season and managed to win.

That said, they also lost to Bears, Saints (regular season), Eagles was because Goff couldn't play well. It was not just one qtr but throughout the game. McVay being the genius coach he is, probably is aware of this and will plan accordingly.

Like many people have already said, if we rattle him early and put pressure on him, it doesn't matter if it's McVay talking to him in the headset or someone else, we will win by a good margin. Hopefully that'll happen and we can finally have a superbowl where we start dominating and never let up. I can't handle the blood pressure anymore :D

Personally, I would like this game to be similar to Seattle-Denver super bowl when Seattle won 43-8. :cool:
Last year BB got outcoached by Doug Pederson which does not happen very often. They had a gameplan and executed it perfectly and threw everything they had at us. We have to be ready for that this time around and I don’t think Bill is going to bench Gilmore for no reason.

I've seen Goff played horrid a number of times.

Ptr61FP.png

PPINRz5.png

Pats pressured Rivers 53% of his dropbacks (think it was something like 70% in the 1st half then they backed off in the 2nd half) and pressured Mahomes on 50% of his dropbacks

How has Brady done against Talib in the past...seems to me he has not done well...but I could be mistaken.

Lets face it, a couple interceptions wont work for the SB.

How has Brady done against Talib in the past...seems to me he has not done well...but I could be mistaken.

Lets face it, a couple interceptions wont work for the SB.
The problem with that is he had. No choice but to throw it fast because he was getting hit so fast. He was hit 23 times that game

Can someone do an X’s and O’s on their fake punts and explain what we can do to stop them?

IMO, it's not really X's and O's stuff, just coaching points. On straight up fakes where he throws to the gunner, have the CB play up on the line of scrimmage and jam their guy at the line. Make sure he's aware (and I am sure this is the point in ST meetings this week) that he has pass coverage responsibility first. Where Hekker has beaten guys is when they are playing like a soft zone. IIRC, the Pats will sometimes put two guys out there on the gunner. They will be fine.

The other thing we've seen Hekker do is throw out of punt formation with the gunner faking a jet sweep. The coaching point here is to make sure the outside LB on the side where they faked from knows he has pass coverage on the TE. Basic defensive rules IMO. Leave the CB in man, jam coverage, and make sure you cover the gunner like a cheap effn suit.

This is one area I am 100% confident in that BB won't get caught on. I think he will protect against the fake first and set up the return second. He will have confidence in Tom and Josh and the offensive scheme to be able to win the field position battle and not worry about setting up a return. I will go one step further that if the Rams are bold here, BB will make them pay. If Hekker has the green light and get's cute, they are very vulnerable for a pick 6 on these type of plays. Play defense first, know your responsibility, and do you job. No way they get outcoached here.

Here's the video of Hekker's fakes. I looked for Pats punt return formation but couldn't find it. I am sure one of the other guys can find it, however. You'll see what I am talking about

The only times Brady lost to Talib the game was in Denver against an all time defense with not only the incredible defensive line but an All-Pro corner in Chris Harris opposite him.

The 2015 Broncos defense was superior at all levels than this year’s Rams defense, full stop. It’s not even close. The only thing that scares me is Aaron’s Donald’s ability to bring interior pressure. Does anyone remember who were the inside guys on the Broncos d-line? Obviously they had Miller and Ware playing like Hall of Famers on the edges.

The only times Brady lost to Talib the game was in Denver against an all time defense with not only the incredible defensive line but an All-Pro corner in Chris Harris opposite him.

The 2015 Broncos defense was superior at all levels than this year’s Rams defense, full stop. It’s not even close. The only thing that scares me is Aaron’s Donald’s ability to bring interior pressure. Does anyone remember who were the inside guys on the Broncos d-line? Obviously they had Miller and Ware playing like Hall of Famers on the edges.

Wasn't pot roast on that d-line?

IMO, it's not really X's and O's stuff, just coaching points. On straight up fakes where he throws to the gunner, have the CB play up on the line of scrimmage and jam their guy at the line. Make sure he's aware (and I am sure this is the point in ST meetings this week) that he has pass coverage responsibility first. Where Hekker has beaten guys is when they are playing like a soft zone. IIRC, the Pats will sometimes put two guys out there on the gunner. They will be fine.

The other thing we've seen Hekker do is throw out of punt formation with the gunner faking a jet sweep. The coaching point here is to make sure the outside LB on the side where they faked from knows he has pass coverage on the TE. Basic defensive rules IMO. Leave the CB in man, jam coverage, and make sure you cover the gunner like a cheap effn suit.

This is one area I am 100% confident in that BB won't get caught on. I think he will protect against the fake first and set up the return second. He will have confidence in Tom and Josh and the offensive scheme to be able to win the field position battle and not worry about setting up a return. I will go one step further that if the Rams are bold here, BB will make them pay. If Hekker has the green light and get's cute, they are very vulnerable for a pick 6 on these type of plays. Play defense first, know your responsibility, and do you job. No way they get outcoached here.

Here's the video of Hekker's fakes. I looked for Pats punt return formation but couldn't find it. I am sure one of the other guys can find it, however. You'll see what I am talking about

Rams will definitely pull this stunt if the game is close enough or if they start becoming desperate. Any Rams on ST, split out wide has to be covered, man to man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes