PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Lane Johnson goes off on Patriots...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time believing BB is now a sh** talker during games. I do believe he does it behind close doors though.

While I agree it's rare, that's what made the Belichick exchange with Derrick Mason so funny. Not something he ever does without A LOT of provocation

You have to wonder how mad Lane Johnson would be at the Patriots if his team lost the Super Bowl, especially if the New England scored a TD on a play that could have been called back due to penalty. He'd make the 2001 Raiders and Rams players seem respectful and magnanimous.

I could see being emotional and still fired up about the game back in February, but 3 months later is a kind of obsessive. I don't recall anyone from, say, the Broncos still talking trash about the Panthers months after SB 50.

A little anecdote about Johnson: I was reading tweets from Patriots fans I follow about a month ago and there was an exchange where one person mentioned Johnson. I forget exactly what they said, it was probably like "You could be a sore winner like Lane Johnson." It's not a compliment, but it's also not vulgar or hugely insulting. They also didn't "@" Johnson, they just mentioned his name. Anyway, not too long after that tweet went out, Johnson himself posts in the thread, insulting those guys. Lane Johnson searches Twitter for anyone mentioning his name and possibly saying something negative about him.

Whoa. Link to tweet? That’s borderline psychotic.

While I agree it's rare, that's what made the Belichick exchange with Derrick Mason so funny. Not something he ever does without A LOT of provocation

What an awesome find! I couldn't make out what Mason was saying but that was hilarious seeing BB go off like that. I think it also had to do with Mason screwing the Pats and going to the Ravens which was a huge mistake. Could've won a Super Bowl his first year with the team in '04. Thank his dream killer wife for that one.

Not the most sophisticated and polite of speech patterns, but most everything he said sounded true.
But no one gives a f***. That’s the point

We like the Patriot way because it’s worked. I still like it and let’s hope it doesn’t change

That's the "We have Tom Brady" way. The "Patriots way" without Tom Brady has been nowhere near as successful.
When was the last time we got to see the Patriot way without Brady or Belichick?

Brady is the GOAT, but the Patriot Way is mostly Belichick’s with some credit going to Kraft

I've been trying to figure out why this jerk-off and his comments irritate me as much as they do. I think it's because I've grown so used to sore loser remarks from dinks like Bart Scott, Harbaugh and all the Ravens and seemingly countless others after they lose to NE. But this douche and his team won and it was the SB, to boot, and he just won't stop yapping.

LaGarrette Blount needs to give this guy a haymaker and teach him a lesson on class. Johnson is making an otherwise gracious, likeable organization look like sore, insecure winners.

Lane Johnson obviously loves getting attention, regardless of how he goes about it... He'll make for a great NFL analyst after his steroid fueled career is over

I listened to the whole podcast and, if I try to pretend that I'm a non-Patriots NFL fan, nothing Johnson said would have jumped out at me as being insulting. If I was a Chargers or Texans fan, I would have thought that Johnson came across pretty well in the interview.

The only thing I really take issue with is his claims of behind the scenes trash talk by Belichick and Kraft, mainly because it doesn't seem like something BB would do right before coaching against a guy. It also didn't help that Johnson made those comments, then said something like "I shouldn't even be talking about this." If you've already opened the door, it's a little late to say you should have kept it shut.

With regard to the Patriots, Johnson made it clear that he just doesn't like the team. It's kind of odd since they're in a different division and he's only played them twice in his career, but that's his choice. I could see him having a problem with the way the "Patriot Way" is played up, but a lot of that is done by the media. It's not like Brady or McCourty are saying "We won because of the Patriots way" every week.

Ironically, when Johnson was asked about how the Eagles will prepare for the upcoming season, he said something to the effect of "I don't like them, but we need to take the approach the Patriots take. Forget what happened last year, don't rest on your accomplishments and focus on the new season. It's worked really well for them for a long time." Also, in terms of being complimentary to the Patriots, he said he was sure Brady was going to lead the team to a TD when NE started that drive with a little over 2 minutes left, down by 5.

One other weakness in the podcast was that there were no questions about Johnson's PED suspensions. Austin usually doesn't shy away from asking a guest about past legal issues or struggles with substance abuse, but the topic never came up with Johnson. If I had to guess, one of the ground rules for the interview was that that subject was completely off limits.

Johnson did have an interesting path to NFL. HS QB who went to junior college, was moved to TE there. At OU, he was moved from TE to linebacker, then to offensive tackle and he ended up being drafted 4th overall. He also shared a story about making weight at OU. If an O-lineman was supposed to weigh 305 and he was 298 at his weigh-in, the coaches would have the player drink protein shakes until they hit their goal weight. I'm not really sure what the point of that was, because Johnson said once you were done, you'd go outside and throw up, but that's big time college football, I guess.

I listened to the whole podcast and, if I try to pretend that I'm a non-Patriots NFL fan, nothing Johnson said would have jumped out at me as being insulting. If I was a Chargers or Texans fan, I would have thought that Johnson came across pretty well in the interview.

The only thing I really take issue with is his claims of behind the scenes trash talk by Belichick and Kraft, mainly because it doesn't seem like something BB would do right before coaching against a guy. It also didn't help that Johnson made those comments, then said something like "I shouldn't even be talking about this." If you've already opened the door, it's a little late to say you should have kept it shut.

With regard to the Patriots, Johnson made it clear that he just doesn't like the team. It's kind of odd since they're in a different division and he's only played them twice in his career, but that's his choice. I could see him having a problem with the way the "Patriot Way" is played up, but a lot of that is done by the media. It's not like Brady or McCourty are saying "We won because of the Patriots way" every week.

Ironically, when Johnson was asked about how the Eagles will prepare for the upcoming season, he said something to the effect of "I don't like them, but we need to take the approach the Patriots take. Forget what happened last year, don't rest on your accomplishments and focus on the new season. It's worked really well for them for a long time." Also, in terms of being complimentary to the Patriots, he said he was sure Brady was going to lead the team to a TD when NE started that drive with a little over 2 minutes left, down by 5.

One other weakness in the podcast was that there were no questions about Johnson's PED suspensions. Austin usually doesn't shy away from asking a guest about past legal issues or struggles with substance abuse, but the topic never came up with Johnson. If I had to guess, one of the ground rules for the interview was that that subject was completely off limits.

Johnson did have an interesting path to NFL. HS QB who went to junior college, was moved to TE there. At OU, he was moved from TE to linebacker, then to offensive tackle and he ended up being drafted 4th overall. He also shared a story about making weight at OU. If an O-lineman was supposed to weigh 305 and he was 298 at his weigh-in, the coaches would have the player drink protein shakes until they hit their goal weight. I'm not really sure what the point of that was, because Johnson said once you were done, you'd go outside and throw up, but that's big time college football, I guess.
I also listened to the podcast. He's an insecure jerk-off.

When was the last time we got to see the Patriot way without Brady or Belichick?

Brady is the GOAT, but the Patriot Way is mostly Belichick’s with some credit going to Kraft

We saw it for pretty much all of 2008, which is a full season sample size.

No Brady = No playoffs.

Such a tool bag...**** that guy

Such a tool bag...**** that guy

We saw it for pretty much all of 2008, which is a full season sample size.

No Brady = No playoffs.
Ok, so you’re saying Brady would have given us another 2-3 wins.

I agree

So how the hell did we win 11 games with a below average quarterback?:cool:

Lame Johnson

I agree

Down year for the AFCW (23-41) and NFCW (22-42), a very top heavy NFL, and a correspondingly easy schedule for the AFCE (which played the AFCW and NFCW). You may recall that

• 3 AFCE teams finished above .500 that season (which is the only time it's happened since 2004).
  • 0 AFCW teams finished above .500 that season.
  • 1 NFCW team finished above .500 that season, and that team went just 9-7.
  • The AFCW and NFCW each had a team with just 2 wins on the season.
  • The AFCW and NFCW each had 2 teams with 5 wins or fewer on the season.
  • The Patriots were 7-1 against the AFCW and NFCW, and just 4-4 against everyone else (4-2 v. AFCE, losses to Colts and Steelers).

Down year for the AFCW (23-41) and NFCW (22-42), a very top heavy NFL, and a correspondingly easy schedule for the AFCE (which played the AFCW and NFCW). You may recall that

• 3 AFCE teams finished above .500 that season (which is the only time it's happened since 2004).
  • 0 AFCW teams finished above .500 that season.
  • 1 NFCW team finished above .500 that season, and that team went just 9-7.
  • The AFCW and NFCW each had a team with just 2 wins on the season.
  • The AFCW and NFCW each had 2 teams with 5 wins or fewer on the season.
  • The Patriots were 7-1 against the AFCW and NFCW, and just 4-4 against everyone else (4-2 v. AFCE, losses to Colts and Steelers).
And as we all know, a big part of their record was due to fact we had the GOAT as our coach

I agree

The real question is how the hell did they miss the playoffs with 11 wins?

The answer: they didn't beat anybody worth a damn and had zero tiebreakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back