PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Eagles all-22 rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the analysis only thread. No hot takes allowed in here. Plenty of other threads for that.

Please be civil. Feel free to critique the play or disagree, but please don't become personal or start attacking each other.

Also, this thread is not some sort of "exclusive club." Everyone is welcomed to participate, to post an analytical tweet that's relevant, or to post original analysis, or a clip from the game.

Above all, if you don't understand something, whether it be terminology or concept, etc. Please ask!

After giving up an opening drive, the defense locked down and didn't spot the Eagles any more points- from what I can tell, we reverted to a more traditional cover 2 and shifted more coverage to take away the flat.

The offense, remains something in flux. Still in the process of finding an optimal identity, but we're fast running out of time and it doesn't help that our OL is not performing up to its usual standards.

it was windy, passing game was affected

One thing that really stood out was the coverage of Ertz in key down situations. His numbers are meaningless as we let him pile it up in non-critical situations, but on key downs we shut him down.

What was amazing to me was the number of DB's that we had rotating on him, and the top notch communication between all of them. Ertz would often appear to be in single coverage but then become bracketed or doubled at the last minute, causing Wentz to stall in his reads or hold onto the ball for too long.

Starting off with a little Baldinger:

Baldinger didn't account for strong winds

it was windy last night and that affects longer passes the most

After giving up an opening drive, the defense locked down and didn't spot the Eagles any more points- from what I can tell, we reverted to a more traditional cover 2 and shifted more coverage to take away the flat.

The offense, remains something in flux. Still in the process of finding an optimal identity, but we're fast running out of time and it doesn't help that our OL is not performing up to its usual standards.
One thing on the offense (and I hope this doesn’t qualify as a hot take since I’m not showing anything to back this up): the last two weeks the offense had its greatest success working out of no-huddle. The Patriots moved the ball quickly on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and were able to score. Problem was with Dorsett getting concussed on the TD, the Pats didn’t think they could trust the personnel, and didn’t go back to it the rest of the game. If they’re able to get him back out there, that could be part of the solution.

Brady appears to be on track to throw for only 20 td this season.

Baldinger didn't account for strong winds

it was windy last night and that affects longer passes the most

Yeah,

Zolak's been harping on that wind since before the game started. And he pointed out that both QBs were forced to throw within a very small box. Most completions were within 5 yards of the LOS, and going wide was a big problem because of the swirling winds, so you were largely limited to a box that was 5-10 yards deep and within the hash marks.

One thing on the offense (and I hope this doesn’t qualify as a hot take since I’m not showing anything to back this up): the last two weeks the offense had its greatest success working out of no-huddle. The Patriots moved the ball quickly on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and were able to score. Problem was with Dorsett getting concussed on the TD, the Pats didn’t think they could trust the personnel, and didn’t go back to it the rest of the game. If they’re able to get him back out there, that could be part of the solution.

This isn't a hot take- a hot take would be "the offense sucked, Brady is the worst QB ever!"

Anyway you hit the nail on the head- we weren't able to go into hurry up because Dorsett wasn't available to be that 3rd receiver.

"Awful...terrible...unacceptable..."

Go git'em Baldy! I love it!

He sounded a little upset. I wonder if that's because he spent his last two seasons with Philly.

He sounded a little upset. I wonder if that's because he spent his last two seasons with Philly.

he sounded very emotional and dissapointed!! is he a philly fan?

he sounded very emotional and dissapointed!! is he a philly fan?
He lives in a NJ suburb right outside of Philly (Marlton, 15 miles outside Philly). So if he’s not a fan, he certainly is exposed to them a lot.

Yeah,

Zolak's been harping on that wind since before the game started. And he pointed out that both QBs were forced to throw within a very small box. Most completions were within 5 yards of the LOS, and going wide was a big problem because of the swirling winds, so you were largely limited to a box that was 5-10 yards deep and within the hash marks.
You have a point on the wind. The wind is a bigger obstacle to the passing game than snow, rain or cold. However, I was disappointed in Brady since he USUALLY has been very effective even in windy conditions, because he throws a very tight spiral.

And I agree totally with your point on throwing wide. I was kind of surprised the Pats didn't dial up more vertical routes in between the hash marks because of the wind. Shorter passes = more positive yds. And did we ever run a pattern with a double move in that game? Very curious game plan. Maybe they knew that the OL wasn't going to hold up?

One very good thing came out of this game for me was the play of the front 7 against the run. The Eagles have a very good OL, and the last 2 games left us with the question of, 'can the Pats DL hold up against the run. Well this game helped answer that question. The front 7 will get another very good test this week vs Dallas. The whole defense in fact. Dallas might have the hottest offense in the league right now.

Just a reminder how well prepared this team usually is.

Love how HT didn't fall for the trick play but read what was happening. Stark contrast to how the Ravens had no clue what was up against the "illegal formations" in 2014.

Thanks Ernie and BB.

You have a point on the wind. The wind is a bigger obstacle to the passing game than snow, rain or cold. However, I was disappointed in Brady since he USUALLY has been very effective even in windy conditions, because he throws a very tight spiral.

And I agree totally with your point on throwing wide. I was kind of surprised the Pats didn't dial up more vertical routes in between the hash marks because of the wind. Shorter passes = more positive yds. And did we ever run a pattern with a double move in that game? Very curious game plan. Maybe they knew that the OL wasn't going to hold up?

One very good thing came out of this game for me was the play of the front 7 against the run. The Eagles have a very good OL, and the last 2 games left us with the question of, 'can the Pats DL hold up against the run. Well this game helped answer that question. The front 7 will get another very good test this week vs Dallas. The whole defense in fact. Dallas might have the hottest offense in the league right now.

The defensive line was greatly aided by Lane Johnson leaving the game with an injury. I know Patriots fans hate the guy, but he's among the very best linemen in football and his absence made a huge difference for the remainder of the game. Dillard, who replaced him, wasn't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3