PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats are either One or Three Seed.. not likely to be 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could easily lose on the road to the Titans or find themselves in a trap game either this week or next week. I feel that the Jaguars, not the Steelers, are the Patriots worst matchup, but I don't think their offense is at a good enough level to win the next 3 games.
My feeling is that the Pats are going to beat the Steelers tomorrow. It may not be the comfortable easy win we would like, but I just just think they win after losing that Miami game. Sadly if they lose these 2 in a row they are in trouble.

The injuries on D are piling up. This team needs a bye....badly.

There hasn't been many specific reasons given for the Patriots to beat Pittsburgh. It's all been:" Brady owns them". or "Pittsburgh hasn't done it yet". Pundits can't be specific. Whereas there are detailed x's and o's reasons for Pittsburgh winning. That concerns me.
Thus, you are dismissing the Greatest of All Time owning the Steelers? Even if the Steelers come up with something different defensively confusing Brady culminating in a loss. Do you really think the Steelers have another strategy to beat Brady the second time? Do you think that they will not meet again because they will lose to ...... on the road? My money is on Brady and the Patriots. Injuries to starters are nothing new to the Patriots. They probably adapt better then any team. Do you think replacing a starting LB for Pittsburgh presents any problems? The Eagles just lost their QB. I carry no faith or assumptions regarding history. When you have the best coach and a QB that has had their way with a particular team, it means a lot. 1st seed or 3rd seed; my money is on the patriots.

Do you really think ?
Do you think
Do you think
giphy.gif

Football outsiders does NOT disagree with this post. I clearly stated IF the Jags win out. Their seed 2 scenario HAS to include the Jags losing a game. We CAN'T get seed 2 (only 1 or 3) IF they Jags win out. (WHich is the condition I stated.)

That's like saying the Patriots are likely to be the #1 seed if they win out.

You can't just dismiss a likely possibility and say A or B is almost certainly going to happen (even though C could happen just as well). A Jags loss is a real possibility that needs to be accounted for, totally changes the math and make the post title just plain wrong.

That's like saying the Patriots are likely to be the #1 seed if they win out.

You can't just dismiss a likely possibility and say A or B is almost certainly going to happen (even though C could happen just as well). A Jags loss is a real possibility that needs to be accounted for, totally changes the math and make the post title just plain wrong.
no it isn't. I didn't dismiss anything. I just defined a scenario (Jags don't lose another game) and stated what that means for Pats

your odds of reaching the Super Bowl get worse by 50% (going from 2 wins to 3 wins is a 50% increase) by playing wild card weekend. Probably worse than that because the "extra game" is a road game.

Your odds of climbing out of a 25 point hole, late in a third quarter against the NFC Champs in the superbowl, and actually winning the game, while also converting 3 x 2-point conversions, are roughly 0.01%....

Just saying...

Champions, winners and successful people go into games and meetings with total confidence. Is there anything else that needs to be said on the subject?

The way I see it, IF we beat Pittsburgh tomorrow, we have 99.9% chance of getting the #1 seed. I just don't see this squad losing 2 must-win, emotional home games, in front of psyched out crowd to close the season, against the Bills and Jets (both with backup QBs). I actually expect those 2 last game to be absolute ass raping blowouts.

Also, just for ****s and giggles, if you also bring in the law of averages into the discussion, we just lost a game last week, while the Steelers have been on an 8 wins reel... Law of averages says they are due to for an L. And if the football gods are Patriots homers, there's no better opponent than the Patriots to serve that L to the Steelers, as it will give us head to head advantage in terms of seeding.

Last edited:
Edelman is a big chain mover against the Pittsburgh defense, without him they can concentrate on Gronkowski on Thursday down... Amendola needs to be HUGE Sunday on third downs

Football outsiders does NOT disagree with this post. I clearly stated IF the Jags win out. Their seed 2 scenario HAS to include the Jags losing a game. We CAN'T get seed 2 (only 1 or 3) IF they Jags win out. (WHich is the condition I stated.)

Then you should have called your thread something different.

Don't underestimate the Jags! This defense looks just as dominant as Denver's 2015 defense and Bortles is definitely better than that Manning corpse out there. We are in a similar situation as that year as well, several key players out for the season despite a strong start. The only difference is that hopefully this time around we won't have a center tipping the snap count.

Jags are dangerous and I strongly believe that they are a much bigger threat than Pittsburgh is.
I take your point, however, I've watched half a game where the Jags moron coach was too scared to try for a score before overtime with over a minute left. First down was a standard clock killing 1 yard run. But wait, decides to throw for a first down on second down. Terrible pass, incomplete. Another clock killing run on third. Punt, Gabbert makes a whole two sideline throws, field goal. Jags lose to Arizona.

Bortles sucks, and the incompetent mind behind the team shouldn't scare anyone.

not relevant to this conversation
Sure it is, stats tell the story of what has happened before, if it happened before it can happen again. The whole argument is based on how teams in the third seed have previously performed, and the previous performance of this organization in situations where they faced longer odds is certainly no less relevant.

Sure it is, stats tell the story of what has happened before, if it happened before it can happen again. The whole argument is based on how teams in the third seed have previously performed, and the previous performance of this organization in situations where they faced longer odds is certainly no less relevant.
not relevant. read OP carefully.

Given that the Jags were absolutely blown out by the Titans in Jacksonville, I find it odd that people can't imagine them traveling to play the Titans and losing. It is more of a coin flip game IMO. Granted the first game was early and Mariota is banged up now, but the previous game was a 37-16 rout and was even less close than the score indicates (30-3 before garbage time).

not relevant. read OP carefully.
Read your own thread carefully; I did. Hint: The very next post is about how they aren’t going to the SB without a bye, which I’m contesting.

Jags wont win out -- they have to contend with Jimmy G, 12/24 at San Francisco!

I actually think this might be the one rare Steelers win this weekend, Im not saying the Pats cant or won’t but the Steelers as of tomorrow are just healthier and particularly on offense. But I also dont think that not having a bye is a total disaster either, regardless the Pats will host a game and anyone coming into NE in January is at a huge disadvantage. I do think the Jags will lose one more, I also think the Steelers could lose another one either tomorrow or the coming weeks. Just got to wait it out. No panic here no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes