PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade for Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of lip service being paid, when has character mattered in the NFL?

Kenyatta Jones. Rae Carruth. Aaron Hernandez. Christian Peter. Ray Rice. Willie Andrews.

Just to name a few.

Kenyatta Jones. Rae Carruth. Aaron Hernandez. Christian Peter. Ray Rice. Willie Andrews.

Just to name a few.
Which makes the fact that the owner was getting rub and tugs from alleged victims of human trafficking even more ironic.

If Flowers is let go, I figure the percentage chance of the Patriots drafting DT in rounds 1-2 will be so close to 100 as to be a statistical certainty.[/QUOTE
Clayborn led the team in pressures/hits up until he got benched.. That's when Flowers passed him.

Clayborn is what he is. A mid-range signing ala Chris Long. He wasn't meant to be a starter here. He was meant to be a rotational guy who could help bridge the gap while Wise and Rivers developed.. Wise definitely has. Rivers is still a question mark.

I agree.
BB was paying big money for McGinest. He also paid big money for Seymour on Seymour's first extention.

Seymour was "jettisoned" when he was 29 years old and wanted a new contract. The Pats had already spent a ton of money on him. Most people would say the Pats regretted the move becauser the line was horrid for a few years after that.

Pretty sue Seymour became the highest paid lineman [?] in the league after his first contract.

Clayborn is what he is. A mid-range signing ala Chris Long.
Clayborn cannot set the edge or stop the run, and Chris Long was pretty good at both. He would play much more physically in the trenches, and showed good gap responsibility.

Clayborn is fine at what he is, but he’s most certainly a one-trick pony. He’s basically Chris Long, if Chris Long had one hand tied behind his back. I wouldn’t mind seeing him stay on a bit of a reduced deal. He showed that he can pressure the QB and improved as the season went on.

I know, came across as professorial instead of sarcastic. I also got chevy's joke.

Maybe a different emoji ... But, no harm, no foul. Plus, I got to use a Webster's Dictionary come-back. That's not easy in day-to-day conversation.

I know they said they need to free up cap space but if so, why was it this contract?

Even with him they're still something like 22 million below their cap. If they really feel a need to dump a contract I think Agholpr makes more sense. 9.4 million on a #2 WR?

To me that makes a lot more sense. So again I ask left asking why drop the better player with the better contract and lower salary?
Kaep will be happy to explain it to you.

Deossie was filling in on WEEI about 6 weeks ago and he told a story about talking football with Steven Belichick when he was about 13 years old, and Deossie said he was over his head in a couple of minutes. Belichick is going to grill his kids harder than anyone else, whatever they get will be hard earned.
Guess it’s like Steve Belichick teaching his toddler about football. Runs in the family. If Robert taught Jonathan as well as Steve taught Bill or Bill apparently taught Steven (based on Deossie’s story), this dynasty could span generations. I’d be ok with that.

Brandon King isn't a Free Agent. >>> I did not said he was. I said his cap hit + Humber's + McCllelan's would be close to Ebner's cap hit.

So they are 32 and 33, Ebner is 30 ... ???

Cutting Ebner only saves you 1.4M >>> No. It saves $2,187,500

Humber's minimum would be 1.03M and McClellan's would be $930K. >>> Wrong ---> $805,000 and 930k

Pats have $23,941,021 now if you cut Ebner and sign both players for vet min like you said above that cap will increase $24,888,521 (almost 1m for the players that were BETTER for us than Ebner) so it is not only 1.4m.

And i know they don't play the same position. We cut Allen to save money, Bennett (ED) is now withypu because he was the best player avaible for a trade. Now we have one less TE and one more ED, and we bring another TE via draft to take his place. We can bring a cheap vet or draft Ebner's repleacement, we are not talking about Slater.

And that is not ONLY abou cap. Pats were one of the worst teams beafore Humber and McCllelan arrive, Ebner was a good player for us, but he is not what he used to be.

Brandon King isn't a Free Agent.
Humber and McClellan will be 32 and 33 respectively by the time the league year starts. They also don't play the same position as Ebner on special teams.

Cutting Ebner only saves you 1.4M. That's not enough to re-sign Humber and McClellan who made 915K and 790K respectively last year. Humber is a 10 year vet. McClellan is a 7 year vet. Humber's minimum would be 1.03M and McClellan's would be $930K.

Sorry, but imho, your suggestion is the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Brandon King isn't a Free Agent. >>> I did not said he was. I said his cap hit + Humber's + McCllelan's would be close to Ebner's cap hit.

Humber's minimum would be 1.03M and McClellan's would be $930K. >>> Wrong ---> $805,000 and 930k

Pats have $23,941,021 now. If Ebner is cut and both players are signed for vet min like you said that cap will increase to $24,888,521 (almost 1m for 2 players that were BETTER for us than Ebner) so it is not only 1.4m.

And i know they don't play the same position. We cut Allen to save money, Bennett (ED) is now with us because he was the best player avaible for a trade not to take Allen's place. We have one less TE and one more ED, and now we need to bring another TE via draft to take his place. We can bring a cheap vet or draft Ebner's repleacement, we are not talking about Slater.

And that is not ONLY abou cap. Pats were one of the worst teams before Humber and McCllelan arrived. Ebner was a good player for us, but he is not what he used to be.

Last edited:

Pats have $23,941,021 now if you cut Ebner and sign both players for vet min like you said above that cap will increase $24,888,521 (almost 1m for the players that were BETTER for us than Ebner) so it is not only 1.4m.

And i know they don't play the same position. We cut Allen to save money, Bennett (ED) is now withypu because he was the best player avaible for a trade. Now we have one less TE and one more ED, and we bring another TE via draft to take his place. We can bring a cheap vet or draft Ebner's repleacement, we are not talking about Slater.

And that is not ONLY abou cap. Pats were one of the worst teams beafore Humber and McCllelan arrive, Ebner was a good player for us, but he is not what he used to be.
Who are you talking with?

How do you know? Care to share a review?
Ha. No. Never been there. Just going by an assumption of what a massage parlor in a strip mall would be.

Outside of lip service being paid, when has character mattered in the NFL?

Character seemed to matter to some of our fans when this dope was on other teams. Not so much now that he's a Patriot.

Character seemed to matter to some of our fans when this dope was on other teams. Not so much now that he's a Patriot.

as long as you are consistent with your stance that's fine.

As others on this board have pointed out, this season will be very interesting as Schiano attempts to replace Flores.

Schiano and Bennet have a rocky history going back to Tampa Bay. Bennet excelled after he went to Seattle and was allowed to "Freelance". Hopefully each guy will find a way to work together and be productive. I expect Belichick will be watching very carefully.

You inferred that Brandon King was a free agent by including him with Humber and McClellan. And you're wrong on that as well since King's hit is 1.35975M. You add that to the 1.03M and 930K and you're wll beyond 3M. Which is 11% more than Ebner's cap hit.

Wrong. Cutting Ebner saves 1.4M because of the next man up onto the 51.

No. I'm not wrong about their salaries for this year. Read the chart. Humber is a 10 year veteran and McClellan is a 7 year vet.

NFL Minimum Salaries, Tags, & Tenders for 2019

Unfortunately for you, your claim that Humber and McClellan were better for the team than Ebner doesn't actually hold water since Ebner didn't lost playing time to them. You know who lost playing time? Nicholas Grigsby. He was cut. Know who else? Kenjon Barner. He was cut. Know who else? Obi Melifanwu.

You offer nothing to support the idea that Humber and McClellan played better than Ebner on special teams.

As for Ebner not being the player he was, you don't know what you are talking about. Neither Humber nor McClellan replaced Ebner on Special Teams. Ebner played 72.63% of all special Teams snaps. That was the MOST on this team for last season. And he still was in the top 3 for special teams tackles on this team.

BTW, if you look it up. Except for the 1 game he missed, Ebner played between 75-90% of the ST snaps except for the game against Detroit. McClellan and Humber were between 65-70% of the snaps for the games they were here.

Last edited:
You inferred that Brandon King was a free agent by including him with Humber and McClellan. And you're wrong on that as well since King's hit is 1.35975M. You add that to the 1.03M and 930K and you're wll beyond 3M. Which is 11% more than Ebner's cap hit.

Wrong. Cutting Ebner saves 1.4M because of the next man up onto the 51.

No. I'm not wrong about their salaries for this year. Read the chart. Humber is a 10 year veteran and McClellan is a 7 year vet.

NFL Minimum Salaries, Tags, & Tenders for 2019

Unfortunately for you, your claim that Humber and McClellan were better for the team than Ebner doesn't actually hold water since Ebner didn't lost playing time to them. You know who lost playing time? Nicholas Grigsby. He was cut. Know who else? Kenjon Barner. He was cut. Know who else? Obi Melifanwu.

You offer nothing to support the idea that Humber and McClellan played better than Ebner on special teams.

As for Ebner not being the player he was, you don't know what you are talking about. Neither Humber nor McClellan replaced Ebner on Special Teams. Ebner played 72.63% of all special Teams snaps. That was the MOST on this team for last season. And he still was in the top 3 for special teams tackles on this team.

BTW, if you look it up. Except for the 1 game he missed, Ebner played between 75-90% of the ST snaps except for the game against Detroit. McClellan and Humber were between 65-70% of the snaps for the games they were here.

You inferred that Brandon King was a free agent by including him with Humber and McClellan. And you're wrong on that as well since King's hit is 1.35975M. You add that to the 1.03M and 930K and you're wll beyond 3M. Which is 11% more than Ebner's cap hit. >>> No i did not. He is not a FA and i said that 3 of them = Ebner (cap wise) and i stand correct.

Wrong. Cutting Ebner saves 1.4M because of the next man up onto the 51. >> You are wrong again. You can not know how much will take the next man because a guy like Hollister(WR) will take only 405k and using this logic if they sign for vet min both will take 800k only in cap space.

I'm not wrong about their salaries for this year. Read the chart. Humber is a 10 year veteran and McClellan is a 7 year vet. >> I use OTC

Unfortunately for you, your claim that Humber and McClellan were better for the team than Ebner doesn't actually hold water since Ebner didn't lost playing time to them. You know who lost playing time? Nicholas Grigsby. He was cut. Know who else? Kenjon Barner. He was cut. Know who else? Obi Melifanwu. >>

Again i did not say that; I said they improved a bad unit and that's a fact. Ebner was not the reason because he already was there. I would keep the guys who improved my unit and are cheaper (combined) and move on from a guy that i can not remember the last good play he made.

You offer nothing to support the idea that Humber and McClellan played better than Ebner on special teams. >>> Search for ST ranks after and before McCllelan and Humber arrive and you will see they were the worst unit ranked. They were 29th in kickoff return, 31st in punt return yards and 26th in covering kickoffs and punts.

BTW, if you look it up. Except for the 1 game he missed, Ebner played between 75-90% of the ST snaps except for the game against Detroit. McClellan and Humber were between 65-70% of the snaps for the games they were here. >>> He has a big role on a REAL bad ST unit. That is n0t a good point to emphasize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes