PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as Belichick predicted, the defense took half the season develop, and was very good for the last half. As far as "miracle", I'd say "rocket science". Unfortunately, Patricia is now gone.

The defense started and ended the year giving up more than 40 points! They played some god awful offenses, that is the only reason they had decent stats. Bortles marched up and down the field on them, Alex Smith made them look foolish, and then finally they forced Foles to punt exactly once in the Superbowl. Anyone who looks at the Pats defense as anything but a dumpster fire is kidding themselves.

They still have no pass rush, are a Hightower injury away from having no LBs, McCourty is easily the most over rate player in the NFL, so to compensate, they bring in his twin brother, who was about to be cut by a 0-16 team!!

Hightower and Gilmore are the only real playmakers the Pats have on defense. Flowers, Van Noy, and Chung are serviceable players. The Pats need a pass rush threat. Any secondary (even one with trash like McCourty in it) will look good if they are playing behind a good pass rush. Watch what Denver does this year with Miller and Chubb.

We don’t agree there.
We are certainly better with VN at lb that waddle at LT.

I was envisioning a battle royal for the LT position with hopes of Garcia winning it. Either way, I expected that the Patriots would have given a lot of help to the LT this year and that would have been that.

It would be a shame if they have to give lots of help to the LT this year anyway.

Clayborn will be better against the run. Rivers tore his ACL, Langi is all questionarks, and both Butler and Wise showed promise, but are not superior athletes. And there is still no LBs who can cover RBs and TEs

No love for Flowers.

Assuming that any prospect who the Pats would need to take "early" due to the demand from other teams would automatically be a better fit for the Pats schemes and more likely to become an "impact player" for the Pats isn't really "thinking", per se.
Listen, I get that there are plenty of other factors at play here other than just picking defense for the hell of it. But with us finishing at the bottom of the league and getting spanked on the biggest stage of the game, I was hoping for a more aggressive approach to defense. You can't tell me we have a better or equal chance of drafting a defensive player that is capable of helping the team in its most dire positions (LB, edge defender, possibly secondary) in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than we have in the 1st round, especially with our draft capital. That's not to say OL and RB weren't needs and that the picks were a waste or awful, just that IMO (and the opinion of plenty others) it wasn't as critical of a need as fixing a defense that allowed 40+ points in their first and last game of the season

When I think about this draft class, mentally I’m adding Langi, Rivers and Garcia too it. I’ve always been a fan of Garcia and Rivers’ potential excites me. Langi could be a solid, albeit unexceptional, addition too.

When I think about this draft class, mentally I’m adding Langi, Rivers and Garcia too it. I’ve always been a fan of Garcia and Rivers’ potential excites me. Langi could be a solid, albeit unexceptional, addition too.
While I agree, I would consider Garcia and Rivers as 3rd round draftees with a recent injury, and Langi as a good FA prospect.

I'm all about improving our roster but how many OT are we going to have on our team? I'm expecting the next two days to be focused on defense, defense and more defense...with the exception of adding a developmental qb.

While I agree, I would consider Garcia and Rivers as 3rd round draftees with a recent injury, and Langi as a good FA prospect.

Sure, but then I tend to be an optimist when it comes to the draft. I certainly don’t think Garcia is a lock to go this year but Rivers is someone I’m pretty hopeful for.

Sure, but then I tend to be an optimist when it comes to the draft. I certainly don’t think Garcia is a lock to go this year but Rivers is someone I’m pretty hopeful for.
Both are locks, if healthy

I'm all about improving our roster but how many OT are we going to have on our team? I'm expecting the next two days to be focused on defense, defense and more defense...with the exception of adding a developmental qb.

If I was running a draft, your friend on the far right would be a first rounder.

Yes, as Belichick predicted, the defense took half the season develop, and was very good for the last half. As far as "miracle", I'd say "rocket science". Unfortunately, Patricia is now gone.
It did. It settled down. The fact that over the last 10 regular season games they allowed 14ppg is pretty damn good and tells me it was a good defense despite the injuries.

Say we carry 9 OL's, with Karras and Wynn counted as guards, in addition to our current IOL starters. That leaves room for 4 OT's. We'll play our top 5 OL's, but there is plenty of room for OT's. As many the said, there is also room for Daniels or another top OG/C.

Maybe Wynn will start at OT (RT or LT) opposite Cannon. In any case, we have Waddle, Tobin, Garcia and Jelks. Would anyone be upset with trading for an upgrade?

Last edited:
It’s not a miracle it’s a sound philosophy and team defense concept.
The concept of letting the opponent beat themselves and the bend-don't-break scheme I'm fine with.

The fact that they did as well as they did with that front 7 was a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News