PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I heard this. Are they like, old friends or something? Is Von Miller banging his mom? Are we sure this is credible? Seems like a guy who was the “best ever” that Miller has ever faced would’ve played in more than 10 games over the past two seasons, and that the 49’ers may have wanted to hang onto him.

In BBWT, but I’m just curious as to what Brown is all about, that’s all.
What are you talking about?
He started all 16 games in 2016 and 10 before being injured in 2017.
I love comments such as “I dint know anything about this guy but I think we overpaid”. Did you just feel the need to talk? Any opinion on quantum theory you want to give us?

By the way moving down 50 spots in the middle of a draft to pick up a starting OT is paying next to nothing.

How do you determine that for players who haven't contributed one bit yet?

Yes, Belichick might do something that he's never done.

No 4th rounder or earlier has failed to make the 53.

No 3rd rounder or earlier has been cut before his sophomore 53.

So they have spent a 3rd last year and the 23rd this year on a "supposed" tackle, and now they are going to trade for one???

Someone please splain this to me??
moving down 50 spots from 95 means little. It is worth this move to get more competition for the OT roster spots.

Brown is a top five RT and Ealy was never more than a flash in the pan. We also only dropped 8 slots for Ealy, but dropped from the 3rd to the 5th for Brown. Different value.

I hope you're right, but I always question when a front office trades a young player playing a premium position.

How many things has he done that he's never done in the last few years?

But, if you want to play that game, how many rookies who were IRed their first year went on to have outstanding careers?

As a reference, the Eagles had 3 of the top 10 lineman in the NFL (and they showed why to the whole football watching country in the playoffs). This was also without Jason Peters, who is one of the top LT in the game when healthy.
We kind of needed this trade. We don't know who's going to be fully healthy and who'll be able to play tackle or have to move/stay inside (Wynn).

He has done a number of things he never did before in the last few years. Obviously, a fairly high draft pick was drafted for a reason and has an advantage of players acquired otherwise for that reason, but some players change or just don't get coaching. Past performance is no guarantee of future success, especially when that performance wasn't in the NFL. There's rarely 53 "must have" players, but I doubt BB would cut a player who exploded and wouldn't make it to the PS because another player who disappointed was a draft pick.

There's a real possibility that the Patriots' offensive line could actually be better than last year, despite the loss of Solder. If Brown pans out at tackle, then Wynn should be a big upgrade at guard.
Possibility? It's my expectation the OL will be significantly better this upcoming season.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about this deal, what a low risk high upside gamble. I'm shocked *Casablanca.jpg* that a huge guy has a bit of trouble with conditioning after an injury. A lot of big linemen have an ongoing struggle with conditioning. We got a couple great value years out of Branch, when we could have imploded after Wilfork left. Many say he's an excellent, not good pass blocker. We lose almost nothing if he fails. Great move!

There's a real possibility that the Patriots' offensive line could actually be better than last year, despite the loss of Solder. If Brown pans out at tackle, then Wynn should be a big upgrade at guard.
Makes you wonder why the Giants didn't trade for Brown instead of paying a king's ransom for Solder.

After reading my own post, I tend more to agree with you, with the caveat that draft picks could be "injured" instead of being cut, prolonging their "career."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft